Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Billy Boat or Sharkwerkes bypass

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2019 | 12:55 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Default Billy Boat or Sharkwerkes bypass

Due to the lame exhaust sound of my 997.2 I;m thinking of upgrading to Fister muffler and install the center muffler bypass.
Other than cost differences between the Sharkwerkes and Billy Boat, what are the pros and cons of each on these by-pass pipes ?
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:05 PM
GTSence
Rennlist Member

I have the sharkwerks. It's perfect IMHO... Extra noise, no drone.

I've heard the BB sometimes has issues w fit. YMMV

Good luck!
The following 2 users liked this post by GTSence:
limbo (09-08-2019), SpeedyD (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:11 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

2009 C2S 140K miles

I have the Sharkwerks and am very happy.... only reason I used them was that they were, I think, first to market and are reputable in the tuning world... also they had a ton of orders and a backlog at the time. I have not read any bad press about their product. It is a pipe but it needs to fit and align as there is little to no room for play.

Fabspeed has an X pipe that has a port mixing the output from both. I know little of this but you should check them out.

Google "Rennlist 997 Billy Boat" and do some reading.

Let us know what you chose, why, and how you like it. It is a mod I am very happy with... and I have the original side mufflers and don't have sport exhaust. For me who wanted my car to sound like a sports car and not the Buick it was, it is about right.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-07-2019 | 01:42 PM
e92insg
Rennlist Member

Have a look at the Milltek option as well. They’re Super reputable exhaust manufacturers from UK. price even with shipping to US would easily be under the Sharkwerks pipe.

I purchased from Roadrunner Motorsport. Fits 100% perfect on my car with zero drone as well.
Old 09-07-2019 | 03:04 PM
wjk_glynn
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CPMorey
...I've heard the BB sometimes has issues w fit. YMMV
Yup, some with PSE have encountered fitment issues with BB. See following...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15374691
Old 09-07-2019 | 05:11 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

I have the Billy Boat pipes on my 997.2 C2 and couldn't be happier. A lot of people swear by the Sharkwerks pipes but personally I can't see or justify the ~$400 price difference.

My suggestion: Buy the Billy boat pipes and upon installation remove the side mufflers and have good muffler shop install a 2 inch GUNDO Hack. The cross pipes themselves marginally improve the sound but you need the GUNDO Hack to really round out the exhaust sound. BTW, the added exhaust sound only comes "alive" after about 3,500 RPM below that it's just a bit over stock.
The following users liked this post:
dashanin (09-09-2019)
Old 09-07-2019 | 08:25 PM
MJTSUB
Rennlist Member

I used to run the Speedtech X pipe which is the same design as the Fabspeed. It sounded a little better (louder) but it never gave me the extra volume I was looking for. I wound up talking to a few tuners and Porsche race teams and most had the same consensus that the merging collector of the Speedtech and Fabspeed design is not how the exhaust was designed. The merging of pulses from the exhaust of all 6 cylinders is not how Porsche intended. I went with a Sharkwerks crossover pipe and the sound and volume was slightly louder and with the PSE valves open it sounds awesome. I also feel like the motor is slightly peppier than the with the Speedtech X pipe. That could be in my head but I am very pleased with end result and would not go back to the X pipe design.
Old 09-07-2019 | 08:46 PM
DocKill
Intermediate

I have the BB as well. No Issues at all. fitment was fine and sound is pleasing.
Old 09-08-2019 | 02:31 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MJTSUB
I used to run the Speedtech X pipe which is the same design as the Fabspeed. It sounded a little better (louder) but it never gave me the extra volume I was looking for. I wound up talking to a few tuners and Porsche race teams and most had the same consensus that the merging collector of the Speedtech and Fabspeed design is not how the exhaust was designed. The merging of pulses from the exhaust of all 6 cylinders is not how Porsche intended. I went with a Sharkwerks crossover pipe and the sound and volume was slightly louder and with the PSE valves open it sounds awesome. I also feel like the motor is slightly peppier than the with the Speedtech X pipe. That could be in my head but I am very pleased with end result and would not go back to the X pipe design.
For what it's worth, I spoke with two techs at my dealer and boht agreed that if you're going to do the bypass, the Sharkwerks configuration is the most compatible with the 997.2's. They also thought it produced the best end result in terms of exhaust note but that's subjective. Haven't heard the Billy Boat which as others have pointed out had some fitment issues but did hear the Fabspeed/PSE setup. Sounds good but a little softer and less aggressive than the PSE/Sharkwerks combo. At least to my ears.
Old 09-08-2019 | 12:27 PM
2011-sy-carreras
Advanced

Originally Posted by sandwedge
For what it's worth, I spoke with two techs at my dealer and boht agreed that if you're going to do the bypass, the Sharkwerks configuration is the most compatible with the 997.2's. They also thought it produced the best end result in terms of exhaust note but that's subjective. Haven't heard the Billy Boat which as others have pointed out had some fitment issues but did hear the Fabspeed/PSE setup. Sounds good but a little softer and less aggressive than the PSE/Sharkwerks combo. At least to my ears.

I have PSE/Sharkwerks combo with RSS semi solid motor mounts and PDK. Driving this combination for the last 4 years. 27,000 miles. Great combination in PSE normal and sport mode. Noticed no droning at any rev range. Stock middle muffler was to tame for me. Came from a E46 BMW M3 with Dinan’s supercharger kit, suspension, and exhaust system. Dinan exhaust had a great exhaust note compared to stock and not to loud with an aggressive low note.

PSE/Sharkwerks deepen the stock sound in a similar way and not overly loud. Fit my personal taste nicely. Like an aggressive note on opening up and not one for making a lot of noise at low revs. Past 4,000 RPM has a sweet note in either normal, or sport mode.
Old 09-08-2019 | 12:33 PM
HenryPcar
Three Wheelin'

Thanks for all the input. Considering the price is not that much of a difference, Sharkwerkes it is.
dashanin (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 03:40 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by HenryPcar
Thanks for all the input. Considering the price is not that much of a difference, Sharkwerkes it is.

Tip... you WILL break bolts on the cat-pipe connection when removing. Check the threads for size but you should have six stainless bolts nuts on hand when you do the work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-08-2019 | 04:51 PM
cgaites
Rennlist Member

I have Fisters and the Sharkwerks bypass on my 997.2, and can’t recommend it enough. Best ~$1K (after returning my cores to Fister) I’ve spent on the car. When I was shopping I heard 2nd hand that there was no functional difference between the Sharkwerks and BB bypasses, but that QA/QC by Sharkwerks was more consistent. Take that for what it’s worth (not much).

Install was super easy. Just make sure to hit up all the bolts with PB Blaster the night before. Rusty fasteners are really the only potentially time consuming aspect of the job.
dashanin (09-09-2019)
Old 09-08-2019 | 09:16 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Tip... you WILL break bolts on the cat-pipe connection when removing. Check the threads for size but you should have six stainless bolts nuts on hand when you do the work.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Sharkwerks now includes them.
I needed one.
Old 09-09-2019 | 02:34 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cgaites
I have Fisters and the Sharkwerks bypass on my 997.2, and can’t recommend it enough. Best ~$1K (after returning my cores to Fister) I’ve spent on the car. When I was shopping I heard 2nd hand that there was no functional difference between the Sharkwerks and BB bypasses, but that QA/QC by Sharkwerks was more consistent. Take that for what it’s worth (not much).

Install was super easy. Just make sure to hit up all the bolts with PB Blaster the night before. Rusty fasteners are really the only potentially time consuming aspect of the job.

I've never heard the Fister or Gundo/Sharkwerks setup. Some say both are similar to PSE/Sharkwerks. Others say there's a noticeable difference. Some current opinions of those who have heard all three configurations would be much appreciated. I have a friend who's on the fence on what to do with a 2010 C2S with stock mufflers and the stock center muffler. Not that much of a price difference between the cross over options to get rid of the center muffler but different story with the side cans. Difference between PSE and Gundo hack or Fister is substantial.

Quick Reply: Billy Boat or Sharkwerkes bypass