Sponsored by:

Taycan = 997 Value Increase???

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2019, 02:18 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

While i don't think the Taycan has any impact or benefit on the 997 value,

I think we are very fortunate since the 997 has a very low depreciation.
Despite I got her for a good price, I assume I can sell my 997 for the same price I purchased it in 2017 while i added 20k miles.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:33 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Zettinger
I assume I can sell my 997 for the same price I purchased it in 2017 while i added 20k miles.
Let us know how that turns out for you.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:48 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Let us know how that turns out for you.
Really well if I would like to sell.

One neighbor and a friend of mine are standing in line if I decide to sell her.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:50 PM
gulshan
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

iam saving up for the 718 Touring that is coming (4.0 NA fixed wingless Cayman that we have always wanted). A game changer imho that will rock 911 sales..
Old 10-15-2019, 08:56 PM
snaphappy
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 59 Posts

I really want to make a thread with these words: remember prices always fall in the winter and go up in the spring. Price drops right now are normal and they almost always go back up!!
Old 10-15-2019, 09:23 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

I personally like the Taycan, although earlier photos seemed better. Not a 911 substitute, but certainly a garage mate. I have been eyeing a bad *** Tesla for a while and would purchase this car over the Tesla. Be kinda of cool having a blazing quick silent sporty looking sedan to compliment the loudish sports cars in my garage.
Old 10-15-2019, 09:52 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Steph1
Hey, maybe I should have explained a bit more...

As far as getting into a worst transmission with the C8, I'll let them deal with the outcome.

I am just repeating what they said was the reason for selling their 997.2 to buy a C8. I must add, that they both had complete PDK failures, and one of them twice and 2 years apart!!!! And it is apparently acting up again. So they want out. They both already have a deposit on their C8, after considering finding 997.2 with manual trannies.

So their turn-off with Porsche has nothing to do with PDK rumors.... They lived it first hand... Both of them, and one of them twice. So I don't blame them.

They are actually the reason why I went with a 997.1 rather than a. 2. I couldn't find a. 2 with a manual tranny. I hated the tiptronic on the. 1 and I knew better than go PDK because of their experience.

It is easy to nevermind something that you read on the net, but when you actually know people that lived it, it brings a whole new meaning to things. Just like watching the news from another country and you are kind of detached from their problems.... As opposed to things that happen near you.
Sure there are pdk failures, but very few so far in the 911s. The chance that you know 2 guys having 3 pdk failures . . . I suppose lightening does strike same place twice . . .

I have 3 close friends that are long time service managers, 2 at large dealerships. I picked up another .2 pdk car that had pdk can bus codes. I called all 3 last week to discuss those codes and asked them if they were seeing any pdk failures in 911s, especially gen 1. Only 1 recalled seeing any 911 pdk failures and that was in a 991.1 where it was questionable, but they replaced it under a Fidelity warranty.

The C8 looks pretty cool, but you get what you pay for with lower priced vehicles. Nothing wrong with buying a new Vette, but it won't impact Porsche sales significantly at any level. Look how well the air cooled prices held up and even spike from time to time. Those can be an absolute PIA maintenance wise and their performance isn't even that great compared to newer cars. Doesn't matter. There will always be a market for them. Same with the 997 and perhaps even more so with the 997.

There are generally plenty manuals .2s on the market. I just did a quick search on Gurus and there were 40 manual coupes and 34 manual cabriolets. I used to drive nothing but manuals, but I actually really like the pdk as long as it has Sports Chrono.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:58 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Canada won’t be phasing out ICE vehicles anytime soon after their real estate bubble pops and half the “wealth” of the most highly in-debt G7 country evaporates and only the debt remains. Policies like that will evaporate just as quickly... same probability as autonomous cars hitting the road next year... more like 2050+

As for values of our cars, Taycan has virtually zero impact (maybe slight positive).

Took another ride in a Model 3 recently. Awful car for the price point and owner said they can’t use the car for any roadtrips. Owner likes the car but would never touch a Modelx for poor quality (same as my view).

I will consider an EV when it is better than my ICE choices at a given price point. Simple.
Old 10-16-2019, 08:54 PM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 689 Likes on 415 Posts

Reality is EV majority is coming soon. Battery tech now gives close to same range as ICE. Access to charging stations and speed of charge are main hurdles. Those will be resolved sooner than we’re willing to admit. Within 15-20 yrs max majority of people won’t and will never drive. They won’t even own cars. Self-driving cars that you summon/use like Uber will be main stream. Only stubborn old farts like us will still drive ICE. Our issue will be finding gas stations in 30 yrs to fill our old old 911’s. Sadly, EV’s can be a blast to drive with stunning acceleration and handling, yet most people will want an appliance to get them from A to B while they focus on social media or getting laid in the back seat.

To those who think we can’t generate the electricity, research how alternative power generation is driving traditional power sources out of cost effectiveness. To those who say won’t happen that fast, I may be wrong, but technical disruption happening at increasing speed. Talk to your young kids, your grandkids. Transportation is an appliance, not a driving license freedom, or joy of driving thrill. Change at warp speed.

I’m totally willing to drive Taycan and consider it instead of ICE 911. This coming from someone who’s told my boys when I get old put the top down and drive me real fast down the valley road. Never plan to sell my 911, but also willing to embrace the future.
Old 10-17-2019, 10:21 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by ManoTexas
Reality is EV majority is coming soon. Battery tech now gives close to same range as ICE. Access to charging stations and speed of charge are main hurdles. Those will be resolved sooner than we’re willing to admit. Within 15-20 yrs max majority of people won’t and will never drive. They won’t even own cars. Self-driving cars that you summon/use like Uber will be main stream. Only stubborn old farts like us will still drive ICE. Our issue will be finding gas stations in 30 yrs to fill our old old 911’s. Sadly, EV’s can be a blast to drive with stunning acceleration and handling, yet most people will want an appliance to get them from A to B while they focus on social media or getting laid in the back seat.

To those who think we can’t generate the electricity, research how alternative power generation is driving traditional power sources out of cost effectiveness. To those who say won’t happen that fast, I may be wrong, but technical disruption happening at increasing speed. Talk to your young kids, your grandkids. Transportation is an appliance, not a driving license freedom, or joy of driving thrill. Change at warp speed.

I’m totally willing to drive Taycan and consider it instead of ICE 911. This coming from someone who’s told my boys when I get old put the top down and drive me real fast down the valley road. Never plan to sell my 911, but also willing to embrace the future.
People not driving cars in 15-20 years / no ownership of cars / cars that will be summoned / majority EV soon??? ? Yeah right. Not even close. Fully autonomous cars in mass production will be a thing 50 years+ at earliest. Majority EV cars (grid cannot handle this) not for 20-30 years+ minimum if that.

As for the speed of tech progress, aside from chips it is painfully slow. Tell me how people clean their homes, wash dishes, cut grass. Tons of manual labor that costs big $$ to get someone else to do for you, or costs big time to do yourself. The real progress would be in those areas and yet it is incredibly slow going because outside of doing things in "virtual" space, tech progress slowed considerably after the last big boom in the 80s and 90s. Productivity is a good measure of true tech progress and that has been at a snail's pace vs. the 90s as well.

Technical progress is as far from warp speed as possible in many areas. There is some irony saying "Warp Speed" when the fastest self-propelled space probes (up until extremely recently) were 1950s and 1960s tech deployed in the 1970s, with very little progress in space exploration in decades. Also ironic mentioning appliances when most appliances have barely had any progress outside of TVs (which made some big leaps and have now more/less stagnated). Try comparing a modern dishwasher to one from 20 years ago and tell me the new one actually works better. My (top of the line) electric lawnmower is worse in virtually every way possible vs. gas powered except that I don't need to bother with gasoline storage or refills.

Your prognostications are over-extrapolations at their best (which people always do).

I love my paperless society where I work a 15 hour work week and have my house cleaned by robots and I fly my car to work. Reality: stacks of paper, 50+ hour work week, I have a top-of-line Roomba but that covers maybe 25% of cleaning, and I have to pick out my routes to avoid pothole-ridden roads (hey, I guess if I choose the right road I could "fly" here and again...)

But yeah, social media and swipe apps everywhere... wow...
The following users liked this post:
Pitstop (10-17-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 10:56 AM
vvcobravv
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Taycan comes with a lot of cool tricks and as hybrid/full electric vehicles become more and more mainstream, increasingly range-friendly, and put down lightning-fast track times, there will still be the purists that don't like the numb feeling of an EV.

Case and point, vinyl records vs. digital media. There is something about the thousands of parts all coming together to complete one task, all manufacturers have different ways of getting there, but no one does it as well as Porsche. While EV's will put down some great numbers on the track and in straight lines, there is nothing more satisfying than the smile the Mezger's intake tone and exhaust put on your face while using three pedals orchestrate it all.

I'm sure the Taycan and other variants will be pretty great, but its a different type of great. Bottom line, am I the only one who not only wants the neural experience but also the aural experience? NA motors are gone from production, the M97 is legendary, 997's should continue to appreciate.

Vinyl records expected to outsell CDs in 2019 for the first time since 1980s

Last edited by vvcobravv; 10-17-2019 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply: Taycan = 997 Value Increase???