Sponsored by:

997.1 2006-2008 M97 serviceable IMS

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:20 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Received 144 Likes on 88 Posts
Default 997.1 2006-2008 M97 serviceable IMS

Is EPS the only IMS solution for M97 that does not require a tear down? Is there any information on why the approach they use to gain access to service/replace the bearing is not done by others? It seams like a viable option when comparing to the alternatives of doing nothing, removing the seal or tearing down the motor.

Last edited by TopKatz; 08-26-2019 at 03:03 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 PM
cwheeler
Rennlist Member

Received 373 Likes on 268 Posts

You need to head over to LN Engineering. The only solution I would buy, is the IMS solution by flat 6 innovation - Jake raby.

Cw
Old 08-26-2019, 02:27 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Originally Posted by cwheeler
You need to head over to LN Engineering. The only solution I would buy, is the IMS solution by flat 6 innovation - Jake raby.

Cw
Tearing my motor apart is not a solution I’m interested in.

Im asking why others don’t bore out the housing to gain access?
Old 08-26-2019, 03:04 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

Please read all the information out here. Basically it is not necessary to change in terms of statistics and cost benefit. The incidence of failure is extremely rare on the larger more robust bearing, and I believe Jake Raby has stated this relative to non tracked cars.
The following users liked this post:
I am the Walrus (08-26-2019)
Old 08-26-2019, 03:11 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Originally Posted by Sporty
Please read all the information out here. Basically it is not necessary to change in terms of statistics and cost benefit. The incidence of failure is extremely rare on the larger more robust bearing, and I believe Jake Raby has stated this relative to non tracked cars.
Yes, I have read quite a bit including the poll that clearly has cars in my category listed in it with IMS failures. I understand that my car has less probability of a failure. Much like other owners I want some peace of mind that my car won’t detonate.

Yes, I have read a a bunch from Jake. I would love to replace my IMS with one of his. As it stands right now that is not a realistic option. My question is why not? Why doesn’t he or LN recommend not boring out the block to gain access?

The concept to access the bearing seams reasonable to me. Maybe others who know more can explain why it’s not?
Old 08-26-2019, 03:35 PM
Sporty
Rennlist Member

Received 459 Likes on 291 Posts

"Why doesn’t he or LN recommend not boring out the block to gain access?" From what i understand because of the risk of having the fine metal from the boring getting into the engine. Also, note that poll is unscientific and misleading.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:42 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Yeah, I considered the debris, however the old bearing is still in place and sealed at that point. You don’t bore out the bearing, only the flange to gaining access to remove it. I certainly recognize this is not the most elegant solution. But again it appears to be the only one aside from prayer or a tear down.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:55 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,290 Likes on 902 Posts

The last engine I saw with a bored IMS access port lasted 900 miles after the procedure was done.

We've seen a few of these, and due to it we had to make a special oversize IMS Solution flange adaptor to address engines that have had this done.

Debris should be avoided at all cost, the lightweight aluminum debris that suspends easily in the oil, and is then delivered to all internally lubricated components within the engine. "Fixing" one problem can create dozens more.

We've seen three M97 IMSB failures since 2006.. That's right.. Just 3. The best course of action is to service the engine frequently, remove the grease seal when you do the clutch, and just drive the damn car. We leave these alone from a preventative perspective.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:57 PM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,111 Likes on 581 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
Yeah, I considered the debris, however the old bearing is still in place and sealed at that point. You don’t bore out the bearing, only the flange to gaining access to remove it. I certainly recognize this is not the most elegant solution. But again it appears to be the only one aside from prayer or a tear down.
The problem is the debris that gets introduced to the engine will end up causing damage throughout the engine. Not to mention, the finish it leaves behind won't seal up without copious amounts of sealant. Here's one block we had to fix for a customer after he had this invasive procedure carried out by Vertex and the engine failed shortly thereafter.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:42 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Thanks for taking the time to share valuable information.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:32 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 753 Likes on 406 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
We've seen three M97 IMSB failures since 2006.. That's right.. Just 3. The best course of action is to service the engine frequently, remove the grease seal when you do the clutch, and just drive the damn car. We leave these alone from a preventative perspective.
Thanks for sharing that information! It’s good to know there’s been very few IMSB failures seen post 06+.

Last edited by Carreralicious; 08-26-2019 at 07:48 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:42 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

Originally Posted by TopKatz
Yes, I have read quite a bit including the poll that clearly has cars in my category listed in it with IMS failures. I understand that my car has less probability of a failure. Much like other owners I want some peace of mind that my car won’t detonate.

Yes, I have read a a bunch from Jake. I would love to replace my IMS with one of his. As it stands right now that is not a realistic option. My question is why not? Why doesn’t he or LN recommend not boring out the block to gain access?

The concept to access the bearing seams reasonable to me. Maybe others who know more can explain why it’s not?
99% of 997 cars dont have an IMSB failure yet you are concerned.

Maybe a Toyota is a better ride for you.

Just sayin.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:36 PM
Bb114
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IMS

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
The last engine I saw with a bored IMS access port lasted 900 miles after the procedure was done.

We've seen a few of these, and due to it we had to make a special oversize IMS Solution flange adaptor to address engines that have had this done.

Debris should be avoided at all cost, the lightweight aluminum debris that suspends easily in the oil, and is then delivered to all internally lubricated components within the engine. "Fixing" one problem can create dozens more.

THAT is great information, from a great source.
Old 08-26-2019, 09:39 PM
TopKatz
Racer

Originally Posted by 996AE
99% of 997 cars dont have an IMSB failure yet you are concerned.

Maybe a Toyota is a better ride for you.

Just sayin.
I'm fact finding as I'm about to drop the transmission and have the area exposed. If there is a preventative measure that should be taken at that point I will do it. I'm gathering information.

The motor rebuild for my car is the cost of a brand new toyota.... just saying.

thanks for such helpful information.....
Old 08-26-2019, 09:55 PM
996AE
Rennlist Member

Received 1,455 Likes on 959 Posts

Prevention and research on a non issue for 99% of 997 owners of 2006-2008 cars, as stated by the foremost expert on 996/997 engines in the USA and could be argued the World said as much.

Move on to bore scoring and oil suggestions to prevent scoring. Now this is a rich subject worth researching.

Good luck on Trans removal.

Out.

Quick Reply: 997.1 2006-2008 M97 serviceable IMS