Sponsored by:

997 Aero Kit Deck Lid Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2019, 07:09 AM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 Aero Kit Deck Lid Ideas?

Hey guys! I just picked up a 997.1 and absolutely love it. I want to put the aero kit on it and wanted to know of the best way to source a deck lid for it. I talked to my local dealer (Sunset Imports) and they can get the Aero Kit decklid for a decent bit of change. Given how well the cars keep their value it could be worth the investment but if there's a more cost effective route I'd rather go for that. I'll be keeping the regular deck lid and everything. The larger spoiler on the back is more appealing to me and will probably help if I decide to track the car in the future. I'm open to aftermarket solutions if anyone knows of a good quality lid that I can swap the existing parts onto from the regular deck lid. Thank for the input!
Old 08-25-2019, 10:08 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Getty has a few nice aftermarket options.
http://gettydesign.com/997tailbases/...eet-and-track/
Old 08-25-2019, 04:46 PM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Originally Posted by platinum997
Getty has a few nice aftermarket options.
http://gettydesign.com/997tailbases/...eet-and-track/
Thanks for the resource! They definitely have a lot to offer. I think I might be able to get the look I'm after using parts from them provided I won't have to drill into the stock parts I want to retain or the body of the car. Do you know of anyone running stuff from them at all? I just want to know how the fitment is and how much preparation I can expect. Most body kit items need some amount of bondo/sanding to look right but that isn't needed as much on a good quality kit from my research.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:49 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 806 Likes on 453 Posts

It is funny if you get perspective. I have a friend with a 997.2 GT3 that is always thinking of de-winging his car or getting a 991.2 GT3 touring.
I like my car as is but I wouldn't kick the aerokit front bumper off my car. I love the rear of our cars as is without a spoiler or wing.
One thing I will say, is when I had a car that came OEM with a wing, I bought a second wingless trunk, so I could swap back and forth depending on use and mood...best of both worlds!
Old 08-25-2019, 07:47 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

My new Getty Design Ducktail. Just got installed within the past two weeks. Mike & Mark from Getty are awesome to work with.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:05 AM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

That's a pretty looking one! I definitely agree with that on the reserve deck lid bit. Having one to just swap out will be nice. I'm still trying to figure out if I want the GT Cup car setup or a more low-profile look so to speak. Definitely plan on getting dive planes to go on my front bumper and a carbon fiber lip spoiler if I can find a good one. I'm getting the feeling that I just invested in another project car though...never a bad thing, right?
Old 08-26-2019, 09:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,701 Likes on 4,258 Posts

With the aero front bumper, you'll need something to balance the car at high speed in the rear also, so I'm not sure leaving it wingless is the best idea. If you tend to be racier, then the full aero rear wing and decklid (OEM or aftermarket) are the way to go to complete the look, but the ducktail is another option. On my wife's car we fitted a rear decklid from a TT to go with the Vorsteiner front and rear bumpers, which is somewhere in the middle - a wing, but smaller one than the GT style.

My car has a RUF rear decklid and spoiler, all made from Carbon Fiber, which I really like, but that's not the bargain setup you're looking for. I converted it to active aero so the upper wing lays down when parked and at lower speeds, then raises up above 75 MPH for additional downforce like the TT setup does.

Lots of choices depending on the look you're going for.

Hers

Wing Retracted

Wing Deployed

Mine

Wing Retracted

Wing Deployed

Good luck with the project !

Old 08-26-2019, 10:48 AM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 86 Posts

Here's my 997.2 with the Misha Design wing... This is the link to their site: http://mishadesigns.com/porsche-997/

The following 2 users liked this post by Astur:
Dartmouth (08-26-2019), drsg1964 (09-18-2023)
Old 08-26-2019, 01:23 PM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

This thread definitely is getting some eye candy! Glad I started it. Nice play on the license plates by the way! The plan is to lay the base at the same time. I won't be adding the side planes at the start but the bumper and spoilers will be going on at the same time. I don't see there being many points when I'll be over 75 mph out in Oregon unfortunately unless I track the car but that's why we have road trips! I'll have to check the link when I get home for the Misha. They've blocked it at work unfortunately.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

damn! lets get more photos

Originally Posted by Astur
Here's my 997.2 with the Misha Design wing... This is the link to their site: http://mishadesigns.com/porsche-997/

Old 08-26-2019, 06:04 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

not a direct decklid replacement but i wanted to play as well.

techart test fit, now i have to get it painted.

butt shot

driver profile

driver 3/4 - angle looks great.

passengers 3/4

passengers profile
Old 09-01-2019, 04:34 AM
Red_AE86
Intermediate

Those rides look great guys! Does anyone know exactly how big a Cup wing is? I'm leaning towards one of those but am not quite sure how it will end up looking on a narrow body 997...I'm guessing a bit goofy to be honest.
Old 09-09-2019, 03:07 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Red_AE86
Hey guys! I just picked up a 997.1 and absolutely love it. I want to put the aero kit on it and wanted to know of the best way to source a deck lid for it. I talked to my local dealer (Sunset Imports) and they can get the Aero Kit decklid for a decent bit of change. Given how well the cars keep their value it could be worth the investment but if there's a more cost effective route I'd rather go for that. I'll be keeping the regular deck lid and everything. The larger spoiler on the back is more appealing to me and will probably help if I decide to track the car in the future. I'm open to aftermarket solutions if anyone knows of a good quality lid that I can swap the existing parts onto from the regular deck lid. Thank for the input!
I still have this wing for sale. It’s a MA Shaw GT3/ aerokit reproduction. Paint is perfect, midnight blue metallic..
http://s159.photobucket.com/user/Kin...ibrary/Aerokit
Old 09-10-2019, 01:01 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

The following 4 users liked this post by rodH:
DesmoSD (10-10-2019), Lastdragon (10-17-2019), myw (09-10-2019), Red_AE86 (09-11-2019)
Old 09-10-2019, 01:14 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
not a direct decklid replacement but i wanted to play as well.

techart test fit, now i have to get it painted.

butt shot

driver profile

driver 3/4 - angle looks great.

passengers 3/4

passengers profile
Looks clean!!

Originally Posted by Red_AE86
Those rides look great guys! Does anyone know exactly how big a Cup wing is? I'm leaning towards one of those but am not quite sure how it will end up looking on a narrow body 997...I'm guessing a bit goofy to be honest.
The cup wing is HUGE!!, whats the motivation, track or show? With the cup wing, you need the cup front splitter/lip and canards to balance it out, which makes the car even lower and scraps more than even the standard GT3 lip. If its a track beast, might be worth it, if it isn't, its probably overkill. Oh, and the cup kit is even more coin than the standard aerokit of GT3 stuff (since you mentioned cost)
The following users liked this post:
myw (09-10-2019)

Quick Reply: 997 Aero Kit Deck Lid Ideas?