Sponsored by:

997 Aero Kit Deck Lid Ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2019, 05:52 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Cool. This is the wing I have. I fitted it myself and then had someone paint it and then I installed it. I noticed that you don’t have the small wicker bill (aka Gurney Flap) installed, did yours not come with one or just didn’t install it? I’m in the process of painting mine and then will install.

I also notice that you have the small rear bumper side skirt installed as well. Looks great!! This is my next (and last major exterior mod). Any shots of the entire car at different angles? I’d like to see how it all looks together. Thanks!!
Hi Rod,
The wing came with it, but the quality and fitment was not that great. Too much gap between the Gurney Flap and the wing in some area. Curvature did not exactly match, so I decided not to install it.

Yes, I got the prototype rear splitters. You have a very good eye for details. Thanks so much on the compliment. Here is a few side pictures I took earlier in the driveway (quality isn't that great but you'll get the idea). I wish I had better more professional pictures.

As for the "last major exterior mod", I wouldn't bet on it. I am sure EMC2 will have a surprise for you soon.

Old 10-13-2019, 07:23 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by boris_gti
Hi Rod,
The wing came with it, but the quality and fitment was not that great. Too much gap between the Gurney Flap and the wing in some area. Curvature did not exactly match, so I decided not to install it.

Yes, I got the prototype rear splitters. You have a very good eye for details. Thanks so much on the compliment. Here is a few side pictures I took earlier in the driveway (quality isn't that great but you'll get the idea). I wish I had better more professional pictures.

As for the "last major exterior mod", I wouldn't bet on it. I am sure EMC2 will have a surprise for you soon.

Awesome. Ya, as soon as they become avail for sale for the .1 I’ll buy some. I didn’t realize the wicker bill doesn’t match the wing. I haven’t ever put it on top to check. I have just been involved in sanding and painting it. Guess when I get home and dedicate too much more time to it, I should check.
Old 10-14-2019, 03:03 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

damn, 8 paint matching iterations on a black car???

I picked up a GT3 replica wing from NR Auto.
Quality is what can be expected from an aftermarket fiberglass wing, so it will need some elbow grease to get it all smoothed out (especially the too of the blade).
But the fitment is pretty good if that helps. No mods necessary on the deck lid, except you need to limit the hinge travel, otherwise the blade will hit the top of the 3rd brake light cover below the rear window (when you open the deck lid).

Your biggest challange will be paint matching. Especially if you have a metallic paint. I went through 8 paint iterations before getting the paint to match. Germany and US have different paint standards so the paint code will not be an exact match to the car when painted in North America.

Old 10-14-2019, 03:06 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

painted + installed - got it to fit pretty good as well

Old 10-14-2019, 10:25 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Is the OEM 997.1 deck lid still available from Porsche? I don't see it listed anywhere for sale. If it is still available, would anyone happen to have the part number?
Old 10-14-2019, 05:41 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Thanks for the compliments.

They are OZ formula HLT wheels.

Went to cars and coffee last week. I’m between a sick GT4 and my brothers brand. New 2019 991.2 GTS. There was a 991.1 turbo S next to me but he left. Ironically, I didn’t feel like my car was vastly outclassed even amongst these much more capable

Note- for whatever reason these pics look blurry, but if you tap them the quality appears to be much better.
Nice, I didn't know you were in Southern California. I've been to that cars n coffee in San Clemente before with my Supra. Yeah, I like those HLT wheels. What are the wheels specs similar to a GT3; 19x12 rear? Tire Rack has conservative offsets and won't allow you to play with them.
Old 10-14-2019, 05:56 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Nice, I didn't know you were in Southern California. I've been to that cars n coffee in San Clemente before with my Supra. Yeah, I like those HLT wheels. What are the wheels specs similar to a GT3; 19x12 rear? Tire Rack has conservative offsets and won't allow you to play with them.
I don’t remember exactly but I seem to remember the offsets being very similar to stock. I have the typical spacers that everyone runs, is it 8mm F and 15mm R?
The following users liked this post:
DesmoSD (10-16-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 02:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Steve 911
Is the OEM 997.1 deck lid still available from Porsche? I don't see it listed anywhere for sale. If it is still available, would anyone happen to have the part number?
are you looking for the narrow body or wide body (red bar) one?
Old 10-16-2019, 10:36 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
painted + installed - got it to fit pretty good as well

Mike! It looks awesome! Paint color match is great and looks factory oem. Super clean design and really looks nice on your car! Great choice
myw (10-20-2019)
Old 10-16-2019, 10:49 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I picked up a GT3 replica wing from NR Auto.
Quality is what can be expected from an aftermarket fiberglass wing, so it will need some elbow grease to get it all smoothed out (especially the too of the blade).
But the fitment is pretty good if that helps. No mods necessary on the deck lid, except you need to limit the hinge travel, otherwise the blade will hit the top of the 3rd brake light cover below the rear window (when you open the deck lid).

Your biggest challange will be paint matching. Especially if you have a metallic paint. I went through 8 paint iterations before getting the paint to match. Germany and US have different paint standards so the paint code will not be an exact match to the car when painted in North America.

Boris, where do those rear side skirt pieces come from? I'm going to install Moshammer side skirts that are CF wrapped and am going to need to have something to continue the black line to the rear of my silver car, and these would be perfect. Then I have to figure out what to do on the RUF
Front bumper, which might just be a little CF vinyl trim to continue the line to the front and have it terminate there...or is there a universal CF loof lip spoiler that I could add with trim tape as I don't want to lower the front more, just tie the side profile together visually.

Thanks.
Old 10-16-2019, 11:33 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
Boris, where do those rear side skirt pieces come from? I'm going to install Moshammer side skirts that are CF wrapped and am going to need to have something to continue the black line to the rear of my silver car, and these would be perfect. Then I have to figure out what to do on the RUF
Front bumper, which might just be a little CF vinyl trim to continue the line to the front and have it terminate there...or is there a universal CF loof lip spoiler that I could add with trim tape as I don't want to lower the front more, just tie the side profile together visually.

Thanks.
Since people have asked me about this in private msg I’ll just answer it here so I don’t have to keep answering in private.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...97-2-done.html
Old 10-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Steve 911
Pro

Received 285 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
are you looking for the narrow body or wide body (red bar) one?
Narrow body, didn't realize there were two versions to be honest!
Old 10-17-2019, 11:46 AM
Sylverlee
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 63 Posts

Can you put a narrow body decklid on a widebody GTS? Or are the actual dimensions different.
Old 10-17-2019, 06:15 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 911
Narrow body, didn't realize there were two versions to be honest!
Here ya go.

https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/p...1/526u/803080/
Steve 911 (10-18-2019)
Old 10-17-2019, 06:39 PM
scadams
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 120 Posts

rodH & boris_gti, I'm glad to see y'all are happy with the NRAuto GT3 wing. I've been looking hard at it myself. I've also looked at the GT3 RS decklid w/wing but I'm not sure if I like how high that wing sits. Though I would kinda like to have an excuse to get the Motorsport airbox but I'm sure it wouldn't line up with the .2 S throttle body and I'm not even novice level compared to EMC2 or Petza. I know NRAuto offers the option to customize it to the standard airbox but what's the fun in that?

Quick Reply: 997 Aero Kit Deck Lid Ideas?