Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dead Battery, key stuck in ignition, how to I pop frunk?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 01:01 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts
Default Dead Battery, key stuck in ignition, how to I pop frunk?

Stupid of me. Last night I was getting some stuff out of my car and doing some stuff in the garage, and also checking my oil level. Turns out I went to find my key tis AM and I couldn't find it. Of course, I left it in the ignition of the car. Went to try and start it and it was completely DEAD. I once had a dead battery and I just hooked up jumper cables from one of my other cars to the fuse box and used the trunk opening latch next to the car seat. Then charged the battery with a charger and was fine.

This time, the key is stuck in ignition. I used jumper cables, but they aren't long enough based on garage layout. I used some 12 gauge speaker wire to extend the length and put little clasps on them to do the fuse box trick. Pulled the latch for the frunk, and NOTHING!! When I connect the wires to the fuse box terminal and the door frame, I do hear the electrical connection like something is happening, but it wont pop the frunk. Is this because the key is still in the ignition (some kind of security thing?), or does it still have to charge a while before there is enough juice to pop it? I did a long search and can't seem to figure it out. I drove another car to work and I did find one post where someone said to use the key fob to pop the frunk. Is this the correct way VS using the latch next to the door? Will I still be able to use the key fob if it is stuck in the ignition (assuming it has enough juice from other car battery).

TIA
Old 08-22-2019, 04:27 PM
ShackleMeNot
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a stuck key and a dead battery. At first I tried to use a portable jump box to the fuse box connection, but couldn't get it to work. I ended up using jumper cables and a motorcycle battery and it worked first try. I didn't have to mess with the key at all.

You may not be getting enough power to the fuse box to make it work.
Old 08-23-2019, 08:23 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

When you use the pull out post in the fuse box for the 12v supply, you have to use the button on the key to pop the frunk, not the button on the sill. Once you pop the frunk and hook up a jump box or 2ns battery to the installed one, the key should also release. There is also a way to release the key listed in the owners manual.

Quick Reply: Dead Battery, key stuck in ignition, how to I pop frunk?