linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,383 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Holy smokes, dust up in aisle 3
Old 08-22-2019, 05:45 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

There should be debate about efficacy of meds including statins on low risk patients. Once you have a heart attack, you aren't low risk and statins, beta blockers, aspirin perhaps, and other meds have a proven record of reducing cardiac mortality. For a low risk patient, treatment for mild HTN or HLD should be scrutinized. Diet and exercise is adequate for these people, but be honest, most people are noncompliant or just lazy.

The OP was a fat middle aged boomer with high blood pressure, ? high cholesterol, diabetes, and didn't exercise enough. In what dream world is that low risk? In what world does that person feel qualified to cure the world of its ills through a duck and bacon diet? Glad he feels better, honestly. Maybe another 10 weeks of vids and articles and he can send man to Mars or solve climate change.
The following users liked this post:
ADias (08-24-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 06:00 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

Thank you for posting brother!! I've not watched the vids yet but will.

We'll talk soon.
MexicoBlueTurboS (08-22-2019)
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by jeebus31
Wow. You are just digging yourself deeper and deeper. There is no point in debating as you are clearly the expert here, armed to the teeth with youtube videos. Good luck!
You tried man, honestly you did. But you do realize he's not going to shut up (he's averaging about 7 posts a day since he joined.....)

One thread all about himself was not enough as he's now gone and started another one. And yes, replete with youtube medical wisdom

For the love of god mods, move this to OT. The discussion can be continued there along with the anti-vaxers
Old 08-22-2019, 11:45 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
The discussion can be continued there along with the anti-vaxers
Not only am I pro-vax, I paid for everyone in my extended family to get Tdap vaccines prior to my son's birth.
We also cocooned him until two weeks after he completed his series DTap shots.
Old 08-23-2019, 02:00 AM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by vern1
You tried man, honestly you did. But you do realize he's not going to shut up (he's averaging about 7 posts a day since he joined.....)

One thread all about himself was not enough as he's now gone and started another one. And yes, replete with youtube medical wisdom

For the love of god mods, move this to OT. The discussion can be continued there along with the anti-vaxers
Writing style, post count, and affinity for you-tube are all similar to 'ol Meursault88. Remember him?

Mexico, come clean with us..
Old 08-23-2019, 03:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,037 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by Fahrer
It's good that you are taking action to improve your health.

Some of your statements, however, are a bit off the rails. Claiming that statins don't work is a bit of a stretch to say the least. I know many folks who have eaten right, exercised regularly and kept the weight off to still find over time that their cholesterol and sugar levels have increased significantly. My 95 year old father in law will swear to you that " the pills" are the reason he is alive and doing well today.

Popular medicine is not new. We have seen it for decades in paperbacks claiming the medical community knows nothing and I, the writer of this new book, have all the answers. The only difference today is that we can get this "information" on you tube. Pop medicine can be dangerous.

Yes, limiting food intake in general, less calories, less carbs, less sugar, less alcohol, less stress, less beef, more fish, more exercise, etc. is the way to go but for many people this doesn't do it.

By the way, in nature, humans only lived about 30 years. I intend to have an artificially long life ( 80-100 years)( through modern, unnatural living ( clean water etc.), including pharmaceuticals.

Finally, I hope you remain successful with your efforts to improve your health.

80 and above is not artificial. Seems to depend on where you live. Read recently somewhere (forgot where) that the average American lives to be 75 years old. Same article also stated that the average western European lives to be 83 years old. If those numbers are accurate, why do western Europeans live on average 8 years longer than Americans ? Many Europeans still smoke, wine (more than a glass or two) is common with dinner every day but they do eat very differently than we do. Can eating habits really have that big of an impact on life expectancy?
Old 08-23-2019, 03:51 AM
Vincent713
Three Wheelin'

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

Wine is said to be good for the heart, I don't know how much truth is to that. Beside cars, my other hobby is e-bikes (electric bicycle). For those of you who haven't seen one or don't know much about them you SHOULD! It has literally changed my life in a very positive way. I've loss so much weight with very little effort or straining myself and in the process having a blast. It's super fun to ride, it gets me out of the house, I get to explore my surrounding, it's a great stress reliever - stress causes heart attacks which is the #1 killer in America. Riding my e-bike is very therapeutic, it's great for my cardiovascular and you're not straining yourself like riding a regular bike. Trust me gentlemen, if you want to improve your health, and have fun doing it, get yourself an electric bicycle. Yes they are expensive but worth every penny and you'll thank me for it. E-bikes have been super popular in Europe & Asia - maybe that's the reason they are living longer than us Americans are? E-bikes are now getting popular in the USA and you'll see it explode in the near future. You know that awesome feeling when you come home from just taking a spirited drive in your car? Times 2 with an e-bike.

Last edited by Vincent713; 08-24-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 08-23-2019, 09:47 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,912 Likes on 2,902 Posts

I think swimming laps is one of the best exercises. Can't go wrong combining that with a bicycle.
I hope to get back into my swimming routine but for now the elliptical machine does the trick.

Old 08-23-2019, 10:14 AM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by saabin
Writing style, post count, and affinity for you-tube are all similar to 'ol Meursault88. Remember him?

Ah yes, i just heard that from someone else as well. Different name, same MO

Would hate to lose him but I think the 997 Turbo forum would much more appreciate his insights! Or maybe the Racing forum can learn from all those massive turbo G-forces....
Old 08-23-2019, 11:25 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by saabin

I didn't even know this was a thing. Yes - new car, new ID.

@jeebus31 I realized something overnight thanks to you. And that is if the average patient walked into their Drs. office and the doctor said, "I want you to go a high fat, low carb diet, get a lot of sunshine, eat a lot of salt, don't worry about cholesterol and lets get you off of all those medicines you're on." That I would probably walk out and report him to the medical board.

That would be my reaction 6 months ago when I believed all that I thought I knew was true but turns out I had wrong. Today, I'd hug that doctor.

Turns out most patients would also do the same, it takes a certain amount of open mindedness and intellectual curiosity plus the willingness to admit you were wrong in the past or that your thinking has changed. Politicians get crucified when they do this (flip floppers) but it is an admirable trait for the rest of us.

In the morning, I went looking for a professionals view to see if this was the case. Two solid examples.

Dr. Ken Berry - the author of Lies My Doctor Told Me

and Dr. Maryanne Demasi

Old 08-23-2019, 11:34 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

(he's averaging about 7 posts a day since he joined.....)

I work 3-4 months out of the year. Travel internationally 4-6 months so I have a lot of free time.

If you can't see past my personality (which I admit is abrasive) at least let some of these videos try to convince you to take better care and charge of your health.

In the last few months, we have members in this forum asking us to welcome their son into the forum because they months to live, or the widow that held on to her husband's 997 for 6 years after he died.

None of us need to die early or unnecessary.

If you can't see that I am doing this thread is from the heart and is trying to help others then you should probably stop reading this thread and stop staring into oncoming high-beams.

And for the sake of time, as I am way more interested in my health (which is time consuming), I am willing to admit I was either wrong or misunderstood or accepted as 'fact' other people's statements about g forces in their highly modified 911s and at which speeds they occur. I'm certain I didn't pull the numbers out of thin air but have been unable to find the sources I used at that time and am unwilling to spend any more time looking for them.

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 08-24-2019 at 11:58 AM.
Old 08-23-2019, 03:30 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,106 Likes on 1,326 Posts

I REALLY don't understand the hostility toward the OP in this thread. The mans trying to Get / Stay Healthier and STAY ALIVE for his family!!

You don't have to agree with him but to go after him like some are doing, is Phucked up!

I've had a few chats with the guy behind the scenes and he's gone out of his way for me on a few things and to me is a great guy.

You don't have to agree with him but if you're here just to poke the bear and talk chit, then please move on.

As for his post count, who gives a flip!!!! I've got quite a few myself in the short time I've been here and it's because I love Porsches / cars / community / and learning.

As we have to say in my profession, " You have the right to remain silent "!! Some of you need to USE that right!!

Just my .02
MexicoBlueTurboS (08-24-2019)
Old 08-23-2019, 06:30 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

I have been a non professional bodybuilder and private trainer all my life (mostly because I am a sore looser and didn't want to consume certain things).

Contrary to a lot of gym guys, I have been able to keep at it for 3 decades for one simple reason...I do not overdo things.

I hardly ever miss a workout and do things slowly but surely and adopt a lifestyle that I am comfortable with. I've seen way too many guys do too much and end-up quitting.

It is important to feel free of your choices. Life still needs to be enjoyable and worth living.

Good luck and should you need tips and tricks, shoot me a pm.
The following 2 users liked this post by Steph1:
Big Swole (08-23-2019), MexicoBlueTurboS (08-24-2019)

Quick Reply: Drive your Porsche in Good Health - an update