Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2019 | 12:11 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Default It is a Porsche

Of course they are all over this in the Taycan forum but still of interest for the brand and brand adherents.

More than likely it's part of our future even if its primary role is to make our 'last analog' 997s more valuable.

Last edited by MexicoBlueTurboS; 08-09-2019 at 08:08 PM.
Old 08-09-2019 | 10:26 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Makes the 992 look nice
Old 08-09-2019 | 11:34 PM
rwdds
Racer

It's cool. Yes, it's fast. It's... electric, but
the 997 is a much more beautiful car.
Old 08-09-2019 | 11:36 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I think the Tesla Model S looks better
Old 08-09-2019 | 11:53 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Like the 996 to the 997, I can envision the Taycan with 911 style headlights as an improvement.
Old 08-10-2019 | 12:31 AM
Carerra
Instructor

No doubt.

According to Edmunds (anyway) my 997.2 S 6M cab has increased in value by $10K in the last 3 years despite me putting 54K miles on it. I am pretty sure I don't believe it, but it is a pretty good ego boost to counteract the feeling when that CEL goes off.
The following users liked this post:
JustinCase (08-17-2019)
Old 08-10-2019 | 01:04 AM
SweetWater
Advanced

I have to say after seeing more of the production version I love it. I'm not always a fan of everything Porsche puts out but I do not mind this thing at all.
Old 08-10-2019 | 02:47 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by SweetWater
I have to say after seeing more of the production version I love it. I'm not always a fan of everything Porsche puts out but I do not mind this thing at all.
Same here. I don't like the design of the headlights, but other than that, I like it. It shares Porsche design language, looks like it belongs in the family. I think the concept version Mission E was a bit nicer looking, but this easily outclasses the appearance of anything in this class but the Fisker Karma.
Old 08-11-2019 | 10:11 AM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Despite being a committed petrol head who has NEVER considered an EV, I’m intrigued by the production version of the Taycan. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of keeping a few key Porsche design cues to ensure you know it’s a P car without being overly bland. I can’t see this EVER replacing my 911, but I could see the logic in adding something like this to the fleet to serve a certain purpose in a way that I would never consider doing with a Tesla. And the price points don’t seem outrageous for the model range they they’re talking about.

It will be fascinating to see how this rolls out in 2020 when these start hitting the roads and what this does to Tesla as Porsche, Audi and others get their EV’s into mass production
Old 08-11-2019 | 10:40 AM
tapcon
Rennlist Member

Maybe an upgrade option will be a chip implanted in your neck to allow PASM at the blink of the eye, (and a small monthly subscription fee).
Old 08-11-2019 | 11:13 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by North Shore 911
Despite being a committed petrol head who has NEVER considered an EV, I’m intrigued by the production version of the Taycan. I think they’ve done a pretty good job of keeping a few key Porsche design cues to ensure you know it’s a P car without being overly bland. I can’t see this EVER replacing my 911, but I could see the logic in adding something like this to the fleet to serve a certain purpose in a way that I would never consider doing with a Tesla. And the price points don’t seem outrageous for the model range they they’re talking about.

It will be fascinating to see how this rolls out in 2020 when these start hitting the roads and what this does to Tesla as Porsche, Audi and others get their EV’s into mass production
As Porsche, Audi, VW and other real car companies enter the EV market, Tesla will be toast. Assuming most everything in that video is true and with the usual understated presentation and claims from such companies (vs the constant ridiculous hype from Musk), there will be no need for Tesla as a company.

And this.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ryf?li=BBnbfcL

If I were interested in an EV I would still wait until about three years into production as Porsche and others would still discover some unexpected problems.
Old 08-11-2019 | 12:23 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Regarding Tesla: Read any of Bob Lutz's commentary on Tesla ... he thinks they are going out in flames and he sites simple car company economics and financials (love of the tech means nothing). He notes Tesla is not financially sustainable. He called them a "cash incinerator".

Regarding Tesla looks: Esthetics are in the eye of the beholder and while I think they look nice, they are nothing special at all and already are looking pretty darn bland to me. (But heck, McDonals's burgers are still selling by the gigajillion after all these years.) Porsche products are generally more unique than typical and therefore have a longevity to them that Tesla just does not have. How many pine for the looks of the original Ford Tarus or Chevy Caprice Classic?

Regarding the Taycan: The performance of electric vehicles will be far superior than our beloved combustion engines. It will happen and you will love them... it will take time. Remember, there are many who still love riding a horse at full gallop. I have no imminent desire to buy electric.. none, but I can see that I will one day. They have to get the range, charge time, and porky weight in order. They will. They all will.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
FlatsixS (08-14-2019)
Old 08-11-2019 | 02:09 PM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Regarding Tesla: Read any of Bob Lutz's commentary on Tesla ... he thinks they are going out in flames and he sites simple car company economics and financials (love of the tech means nothing). He notes Tesla is not financially sustainable. He called them a "cash incinerator".

Regarding Tesla looks: Esthetics are in the eye of the beholder and while I think they look nice, they are nothing special at all and already are looking pretty darn bland to me. (But heck, McDonals's burgers are still selling by the gigajillion after all these years.) Porsche products are generally more unique than typical and therefore have a longevity to them that Tesla just does not have. How many pine for the looks of the original Ford Tarus or Chevy Caprice Classic?

Regarding the Taycan: The performance of electric vehicles will be far superior than our beloved combustion engines. It will happen and you will love them... it will take time. Remember, there are many who still love riding a horse at full gallop. I have no imminent desire to buy electric.. none, but I can see that I will one day. They have to get the range, charge time, and porky weight in order. They will. They all will.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
I largely agree with what you are saying. To add, Lutz is correct and Tesla is surviving simply on the funds from investors ( or should I say followers? It is a cult stock) as I believe the government subsidies have ended. Worse, Tesla burns billions of dollars every year.

The real problem for Tesla is that their weaknesses in design and manufacturing will kill them. Actually they do not know more than established car companies and in the end, it will be about the car, not electronic bells and whistles or the hype. You know there are big problems when persons in key management positions keep quitting.

Finally, even with properly designed and manufactured EVs, it will take many years before moderately priced, properly designed and manufactured cars are widely sold. Even Tesla's $35K car costs about $55 the last time I looked. Until then, specialty and luxury cars will be the norm for EVs. Actually I am interesting to see how the Audi EV, based on the same platform as the Taycan, comes out. My guess is that it will be more luxurious, less extreme and a bit less costly.
Old 08-11-2019 | 04:06 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Put my name on the list. We will see how they pan out with charging, reliability, etc.

Would be be nice to replace our e class with something like this or a macan turbo.
Old 08-11-2019 | 05:54 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Tesla won't maintain the imagined economies of scale once the big boys start competing. They will become a niche player if they survive. It's not too long before you will be able to buy an EV platform that allows you to swap out bodies as needed. A VW style bus for weekdays and a lightweight sporty convertible for the weekends would be one attractive example. One last huge advantage, only one insurance policy, registration etc.

Quick Reply: It is a Porsche