997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It is a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2019 | 10:39 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

I just saw this at C&D today. The range is expected to be more like 200 miles rather than 300 miles so EV limitations remain. It is definitely a step up from a Tesla S with superior motor and battery cooling and higher voltage allowing shorter charging times.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...rototype-ride/
Old 08-12-2019 | 11:59 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Reality is that the infrastructure for electric is nowhere near being ready for anything but a very small part of the overall market. Market is highly cyclical and we are entering a downturn in vehicle sales (already post-peak).

Likely result is that anticipated / goal volumes for sales will be much lower than planned and there will be significant restructuring activities that will dwarf anything in the past 8 years.

Electric cars are also not nearly as useful or practical.
Old 08-12-2019 | 12:00 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Tesla won't maintain the imagined economies of scale once the big boys start competing. They will become a niche player if they survive. It's not too long before you will be able to buy an EV platform that allows you to swap out bodies as needed. A VW style bus for weekdays and a lightweight sporty convertible for the weekends would be one attractive example. One last huge advantage, only one insurance policy, registration etc.
If by "not too long" you mean 50 years, sure. If you mean within the next 5-15 years... no way, no how.
Old 08-12-2019 | 04:56 PM
rickdogg82
Pro

The Taycan should be a great car although I love the minimalism of the Model 3 interior.
Old 08-12-2019 | 05:16 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
If by "not too long" you mean 50 years, sure. If you mean within the next 5-15 years... no way, no how.
The future always arrives faster than we expect.

In my mind, it's still 1982... I am driving down Sunset Blvd on my way to Tower Records to buy the new albums coming out from New Order, U2 and X.

They've been teasing them on KROQ all week long.
Old 08-12-2019 | 07:39 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

As for general shape,I prefer it to the tesla S, but it depends in price difference.

As for the looks, I am sure that once all that camouflage tape comes off, it will be a very nice car to look at.
Old 08-12-2019 | 07:42 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SpeedyD
I have to agree here..... Cars were supposed to fly 19 years ago😜
Old 08-12-2019 | 08:43 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

The number 1 thing slowing the implementation of electric cars will be the lowering of gasoline prices. The low cost producers in the world are not going to let their market just disappear. They will continue to lower the price of their low cost oil to choke out electric as best they can. High prices for gasoline will never occur again unless there is a war.

The Saudis, for one, have some of the lowest production costs in the world. Their oil is both near the surface and near the world's waterways. It is speculated that Saudi, who produce 13% of the worlds production, cost per barrel is about $10. In other words, they can lower price to $11 and still make money. OPEC has never been effective despite what our media says. They all cheat on each other and have since its inception.

If gasoline prices do spike, it will be due to temporary situation. Overall, we who use combustion engines are entering (actually have already entered) historically low gasoline prices and it is only going to get better.

Now... there are other global power implications of this..... the higher cost producers are going to get screwed and their governments will be destabilized.... this is serious. But that is for another day....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-12-2019 | 10:19 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Was there a contest between the design team to see who could come up with the ugliest headlight disguise on planet earth???
Old 08-13-2019 | 10:27 AM
wolfsburgde
Burning Brakes

It looks like the size will be much closer to a 911 than to a Panamera:

Old 08-13-2019 | 11:10 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by wolfsburgde
It looks like the size will be much closer to a 911 than to a Panamera:

I would say closer to an Audi A4.
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:35 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Additional information on what is happening in the VW group and projection for the future.with regard to EVs......

https://www.cnn.com/interactive/2019...kswagen-tesla/
Old 08-15-2019 | 09:55 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
The number 1 thing slowing the implementation of electric cars will be the lowering of gasoline prices. The low cost producers in the world are not going to let their market just disappear. They will continue to lower the price of their low cost oil to choke out electric as best they can. High prices for gasoline will never occur again unless there is a war.

The Saudis, for one, have some of the lowest production costs in the world. Their oil is both near the surface and near the world's waterways. It is speculated that Saudi, who produce 13% of the worlds production, cost per barrel is about $10. In other words, they can lower price to $11 and still make money. OPEC has never been effective despite what our media says. They all cheat on each other and have since its inception.

If gasoline prices do spike, it will be due to temporary situation. Overall, we who use combustion engines are entering (actually have already entered) historically low gasoline prices and it is only going to get better.

Now... there are other global power implications of this..... the higher cost producers are going to get screwed and their governments will be destabilized.... this is serious. But that is for another day....

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Here in Texas - you see a lot of OPEC gaming and its effects on investors especially in the speculative and drilling side. I've heard many stories directly and indirectly of people wildcatting in hopes of higher oil prices, then having the market head south and having their markers called (almost always heavily leveraged) . This is a planned out cycle where the sharks eat the guppies for pennies on the dollar after all the hard work has been done.

My own home is also an example, the mineral rights of my home and almost every home within miles around are owned by a Middle Eastern entity. Bottom line - they drink from my milkshake.

A friend in Arlington, on the other hand, gets 4 to 5 figure royalties annually from the Barnett Shale.

Gail Tverberg is one of the smartest out there in the analysis of the oil industry and understanding the big picture. Sadly though, I have not yet seen a way to speculate oil or NG futures based on her analysis. Yet.

https://ourfiniteworld.com/

I also spend some time here - https://community.oilprice.com/
Old 08-15-2019 | 10:12 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

FWIW, Tesla sold more cars last year than Porsche.
Old 08-17-2019 | 10:05 AM
adnan76
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fahrer
As Porsche, Audi, VW and other real car companies enter the EV market, Tesla will be toast. Assuming most everything in that video is true and with the usual understated presentation and claims from such companies (vs the constant ridiculous hype from Musk), there will be no need for Tesla as a company.

And this.......

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/news...ryf?li=BBnbfcL

If I were interested in an EV I would still wait until about three years into production as Porsche and others would still discover some unexpected problems.
I thought this too, but now I'm not too sure. Jag and Audi both have competent pure EVs out this year, and no one cares. Tesla's supercharger network, self driving tech, etc, may keep them ahead for some time to come.

Quick Reply: It is a Porsche