Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

IPE Valvetronic exhaust install?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 03:23 AM
w1lliamAn
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IPE Valvetronic exhaust install?

Hey guys would like some advice. Currently have a 2008 C4S and purchased a full IPE innotech valvetronic exhaust system (headers, xpipe, muffler) and am planning on installing myself this weekend. However does anyone have experience with valvetronic systems?

In the picture below circled in purple, what fuse tap am I supposed to purchase, the wire is for key on switch. And also the black box circled in green, where is this supposed to mount to? Anywhere that has space for it?

Any help would be appreciated because I feel like I might end up installing the exhaust without the valvetronic portion if I am unable to do it on my own but would much rather have the option to open and close the valves.

My PFA. Also attached are the two items I need help on.

Old 07-30-2019, 01:10 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

That fuse tap must be in a position where you should have a blank fuse slot and that slot must get power only when the key is switched on - you should test that with a meter before plugging anything in there. If there's already a fuse there, you can use a piggyback add-a fuse, like this where you plug in the adapter, and plug the original fuse into the pigtail, along with the new fuse to power the extra lead you've tapped in.

Looks to me like the wiring loom included with the kit has enough wire length where that black box should be placed in the engine compartment and the wires that feed it run through the interior from the fuse panel at the driver's footwell to the engine compartment. I'm not sure where you can get a wire from the interior to the engine compartment, but I'd mount that black box up under the passenger side lip so it doesn't get exposed to direct water, like where I put this one - see the red line and then the black box mounted where the red line was.

That black box connects to a vacuum solenoid that then has the hoses that run the vacuum valves - one for each muffler so those will need to run from the engine compartment down to the mechanical valves. On my Fabspeed setup, I used braided stainless power steering line so they would look better.

Good luck with the install.
Old 07-30-2019, 04:18 PM
w1lliamAn
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Petza914
That fuse tap must be in a position where you should have a blank fuse slot and that slot must get power only when the key is switched on - you should test that with a meter before plugging anything in there. If there's already a fuse there, you can use a piggyback add-a fuse, like this where you plug in the adapter, and plug the original fuse into the pigtail, along with the new fuse to power the extra lead you've tapped in.

Looks to me like the wiring loom included with the kit has enough wire length where that black box should be placed in the engine compartment and the wires that feed it run through the interior from the fuse panel at the driver's footwell to the engine compartment. I'm not sure where you can get a wire from the interior to the engine compartment, but I'd mount that black box up under the passenger side lip so it doesn't get exposed to direct water, like where I put this one - see the red line and then the black box mounted where the red line was.

That black box connects to a vacuum solenoid that then has the hoses that run the vacuum valves - one for each muffler so those will need to run from the engine compartment down to the mechanical valves. On my Fabspeed setup, I used braided stainless power steering line so they would look better.

Good luck with the install.
I really appreciate the info! Clears up a lot. Seems pretty straight forward but in the picture IPE provided it seems there is only a male spade connector in the fuse box? And the slot is currently empty. Im wondering if I still need a piggy back fuse, or if i can just insert a male spade connector directly into the fuse box. Will also have to figure out where to tuck the wire all the way through without it showing anywhere. Thanks again!
Old 07-30-2019, 07:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by w1lliamAn
I really appreciate the info! Clears up a lot. Seems pretty straight forward but in the picture IPE provided it seems there is only a male spade connector in the fuse box? And the slot is currently empty. Im wondering if I still need a piggy back fuse, or if i can just insert a male spade connector directly into the fuse box. Will also have to figure out where to tuck the wire all the way through without it showing anywhere. Thanks again!
IMO all circuits should have a fuse. If either do a fused tap or I'd add an in-line fuse to the spade connector wire that's supposed to install in the fuse box.
The following users liked this post:
w1lliamAn (07-31-2019)
Old 07-31-2019, 05:48 AM
w1lliamAn
Intermediate

Nice, Im going to just buy a fuse tap and male spade connector and see what works. They are very cheap anyways. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:00 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by w1lliamAn
Nice, Im going to just buy a fuse tap and male spade connector and see what works. They are very cheap anyways. Thanks.
Did you get the exhaust installed?