Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So close to clearing all the codes!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 03:15 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default So close to clearing all the codes!

2010 997.2 S 6M Cab 146 kMiles

9 hours driving in her yesterday. Fired her up at lunch time and she ran a little rough. This is the third time it has happened. It actually stalled out the first time. When I got back from my errand was running good.

I checked the codes and only had these:

Error Code 1023
Bar Ignition Module Cylinder 4
Upper Limit Value Exceeded

Error Code 0421
Throttle valve adjusting unit - emergency air pos
Upper limit value exceeded

Does this indicate a problem with the coil?

How to check prior to replacing?

THANKS!!!!

Error Code 1023 Error Code 0421
Old 07-27-2019, 10:09 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,464 Likes on 4,120 Posts

I don't know what the "Bar" part of that code is, but bar is a way to measure pressure. I'm guessing that code might be related to the injector on cylinder #4 either losing pressure or getting to much pressure. The other fault code is probably related to that.

If it's an injector issue on a DFI motor, you don't want to drive it until you know what's wrong as if it's not spraying properly can wash fuel from the cylinder walls abd create much larger issues, like scoring.
Old 07-27-2019, 12:20 PM
BruceWarne
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Bar ignition module is a coil.
Probably needs replacement.
Cayman with similar code

Not sure what the other code is, and if the two are related. But I'd reset the throttle body just in case. Turn key to on position without starting car. Wait 30 seconds until you hear a clack-clack sound from TB.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:47 AM
Carerra
Instructor

Thanks @BruceWarne.
Old 07-28-2019, 08:56 AM
Carerra
Instructor

Are coil packs something where if you replace one, you should replace all of them?
Old 07-29-2019, 03:05 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Carerra

Are coil packs something where if you replace one, you should replace all of them?
I don't think that is necessary nor is it that big of a headache to pull the muffler and get back in there. However I think they are sold in a pack of 6, at least that is how they are sold at Suncoast. The coil pack condition can be evaluated. The one throwing the code may look bad with either some cracking or otherwise fouled appearance.

That said, if you're going to replace them all, I would swap the plugs too while you're in there. The additional cost is minor at that point and it helps rule out the plug as a source of problems.

Not sure what that error 0421 is referring to, but fully cleaning the throttle body would be a free action to possibly resolve it.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:29 PM
Carerra
Instructor

On the 0421, I found that you can recalibrate the the Throttle Valve Adjusting Unit by turning the car off, then putting it in the on position without starting it or touching the gas for 60 seconds, then turning it off for 10 seconds.

I am traveling, but I will try it when I get home.

If that does not work, I will take @GoldenGorilla 's advice and clean out the unit.

My muffler bolts are really corroded, and I have stepped around this by paying Porsche to change the plugs because they can do it without removing the mufflers. It looks like the time may be here where I bite the bullet and fix the muffler bolts.
Old 08-03-2019, 02:23 PM
Carerra
Instructor

OK, I did the throttle valve reset and it cleared both codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!! No codes from the engine at all!

Some ones popped up from the seats and A/C, because 10 years old, and I went to clear the Air Conditioner codes and it killed my durametric. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still wont start. SMH
Old 08-03-2019, 02:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

OK, I did the throttle valve reset and it cleared both codes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA!! No codes from the engine at all!

Some ones popped up from the seats and A/C, because 10 years old, and I went to clear the Air Conditioner codes and it killed my durametric. I uninstalled and reinstalled and it still wont start. SMH
The car won't start or the Durametric program won't start on the PC?
Old 08-03-2019, 07:11 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
The car won't start or the Durametric program won't start on the PC?

It is the Durametric 6 software. I guess I will have to uninstall again and then go in and relocate all the files that are left. The car is running fine.
Old 08-06-2019, 10:28 PM
Carerra
Instructor

!!!!!!

So...... I jinxed myself. I got a CEL today. It says take it to the workshop.

Code 0004 Upper limit exceeded.

The google says P0040 appears to be a generic OBDII code that almost no manufacturers use having to do with gas leaking out of the high pressure rails on diesels.

My Porsche 997 The essential companion says P0040 is:
O2 sensor signals swapped bank 1 sensor 1 / bank 2 sensor 1 <- to quote Oh Brother Where Art Thou "THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE"

Any insight welcome!!!!

Error 0004
Old 08-06-2019, 11:27 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

!!!!!!

So...... I jinxed myself. I got a CEL today. It says take it to the workshop.

Code 0004 Upper limit exceeded.

The google says P0040 appears to be a generic OBDII code that almost no manufacturers use having to do with gas leaking out of the high pressure rails on diesels.

My Porsche 997 The essential companion says P0040 is:
O2 sensor signals swapped bank 1 sensor 1 / bank 2 sensor 1 <- to quote Oh Brother Where Art Thou "THAT DON'T MAKE NO SENSE"

Any insight welcome!!!!

Error 0004

The description of that code to me means that you have two of your O2 sensor wires switched where they plug into the board at the back of the engine compartment. All 4 plug into that little black board to the left of my blue air filter cover and to the rear of the RSS engine mount. I can't remember if they are color coded by side or by front/rear, but you may have 2 of those plugs reversed if the description of that code is accurate.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:54 AM
Carerra
Instructor

Originally Posted by Petza914
The description of that code to me means that you have two of your O2 sensor wires switched where they plug into the board at the back of the engine compartment. All 4 plug into that little black board to the left of my blue air filter cover and to the rear of the RSS engine mount. I can't remember if they are color coded by side or by front/rear, but you may have 2 of those plugs reversed if the description of that code is accurate.

Thanks @Petza914

The issue is that I have not disturbed those wires. This morning, I went out and jiggled them but they look solid. Tried to clear the codes again but nothing. Off to the Indy.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:58 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Thanks @Petza914

The issue is that I have not disturbed those wires. This morning, I went out and jiggled them but they look solid. Tried to clear the codes again but nothing. Off to the Indy.
Hmmm. Curious to find out what your Indy says is the cause of the codes.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:33 PM
Carerra
Instructor

The Indy called and said it is showing insufficient CAT function. He is changing the O2 sensors as a precaution before recommending new CATs.

As a reminder it is a 2010 Carrera S M6 with 147K miles.

1) Has anybody actually seen Catalytic Converter wear out? I thought the point of catalysis is that it that the catalyst remains unchanged.
2) He said that a sports CAT might be cheaper than OEM if he could not find an old one. (they do a lot of mods so they may have one from when they put in a sports CAT) Is there a downside to a sports CAT?
3) Any other thoughts (I really did not want to drop $6k on CATs)

Quick Reply: So close to clearing all the codes!