Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So close to clearing all the codes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 01:43 PM
BruceWarne
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Check out ebay. I think I saw a full system (used) on there for about $400 earlier this week.
Old 08-08-2019, 01:52 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Carerra
The Indy called and said it is showing insufficient CAT function. He is changing the O2 sensors as a precaution before recommending new CATs.

As a reminder it is a 2010 Carrera S M6 with 147K miles.

1) Has anybody actually seen Catalytic Converter wear out? I thought the point of catalysis is that it that the catalyst remains unchanged.
2) He said that a sports CAT might be cheaper than OEM if he could not find an old one. (they do a lot of mods so they may have one from when they put in a sports CAT) Is there a downside to a sports CAT?
3) Any other thoughts (I really did not want to drop $6k on CATs)
Yeah, the cats can corrode or mechanically wear out. Not by design, but it can happen. You've got a fair number of miles on them. If you're looking at replacing the cats, a system using the HJS 200 cell cats would free up the exhaust and may be what the Indy is recommending. It also gives you some options if you wanted to upgrade headers and exhaust at the same time. Done together the systems would not throw any codes. That would be one way to fix those rusty exhaust bolts.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,611 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
Yeah, the cats can corrode or mechanically wear out. Not by design, but it can happen. You've got a fair number of miles on them. If you're looking at replacing the cats, a system using the HJS 200 cell cats would free up the exhaust and may be what the Indy is recommending. It also gives you some options if you wanted to upgrade headers and exhaust at the same time. Done together the systems would not throw any codes. That would be one way to fix those rusty exhaust bolts.
+1

No real downside to sport cats as long as their high quality ones like the aforementioned HJS versions and 200 cell. 100 cell cats can throw codes and then you get into the discussion about how to not have them do that, like O2 sensor spacers, tunes, etc but the performance difference from 100 cell to 200 cell isn't worth the potential headache, so I'd going aftermarket, I'd just stick with 200 cell versions.

The new Fabspeed X-cat with 200 cell HJS cats I put on my 997.1 was under $2,000 so I can't imagine that the proper setup for a .2 would be anywhere near the number you quoted.

From what I've read, if you're in CA you're going to have a tough time doing anything other than OEM as you have to pass a visual inspection and those pretty polished stainless aftermarket exhaust components are going to stand out and cause a failure to pass.

It should not be hard to find used ones from people who don't live in CA that have upgraded their OEM cats to Hi performance 200 cell versions.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:54 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
+1

No real downside to sport cats as long as their high quality ones like the aforementioned HJS versions and 200 cell. 100 cell cats can throw codes and then you get into the discussion about how to not have them do that, like O2 sensor spacers, tunes, etc but the performance difference from 100 cell to 200 cell isn't worth the potential headache, so I'd going aftermarket, I'd just stick with 200 cell versions.

The new Fabspeed X-cat with 200 cell HJS cats I put on my 997.1 was under $2,000 so I can't imagine that the proper setup for a .2 would be anywhere near the number you quoted.

From what I've read, if you're in CA you're going to have a tough time doing anything other than OEM as you have to pass a visual inspection and those pretty polished stainless aftermarket exhaust components are going to stand out and cause a failure to pass.

It should not be hard to find used ones from people who don't live in CA that have upgraded their OEM cats to Hi performance 200 cell versions.

Thanks to you and @GoldenGorilla That $6k number was a quote I got from Porsche a couple of years ago.
Old 08-08-2019, 06:55 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Thanks @BruceWarne I will check that out if I get the bad news!
Old 08-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Carerra
Instructor

Update!

They could not replace all the O2 sensors because of the aforementioned rusty exhaust bolts. So far, just replacing the fronts have stopped the CEL after over 20 start cycles.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Those rusty bolts may have saved me $500.

I have spec'd the parts to replace the rest myself at Sunset Porsche Parts. Does anyone have experience with them? Their prices are dynamite compared to everywhere else.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,611 Likes on 4,202 Posts

Update!

They could not replace all the O2 sensors because of the aforementioned rusty exhaust bolts. So far, just replacing the fronts have stopped the CEL after over 20 start cycles.

Keeping my fingers crossed. Those rusty bolts may have saved me $500.

I have spec'd the parts to replace the rest myself at Sunset Porsche Parts. Does anyone have experience with them? Their prices are dynamite compared to everywhere else.
I've bought from Sunset before. No issues. Think it may have been my Cayenne roof crossbars or the back compartment mat. I usually look at Suncoast and Sunset when I need something.
Old 08-10-2019, 08:17 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

2010 997.2 S 6M Cab 146 kMiles
@carrera When you get all of the codes clear please let us know. I will be cracking open a cold bottle of German pils when you notify us.

Old 08-19-2019, 05:43 PM
Carerra
Instructor

UPDATE

Today was the first long trip in the car. At about 150 miles, the light came back on. Sooooooooooooo.......

The two front O2 sensors were not enough.

I am thinking about doing this myself. Anybody removed/replaced the CAT's themselves? Is this doable for a moderate wrench?

Quick Reply: So close to clearing all the codes!