Sponsored by:

The Mindset of a Shipper

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 09:12 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,415 Likes on 2,690 Posts
Default The Mindset of a Shipper

My 2007 997S is being shipped from Houston to Seattle as we speak.
I've probably shipped cars 30 times during almost 34 years of Porsche ownership ncluding a couple of boats

It so happens recently I have used the same shipping broker in Los Angeles for the last 5cars I've shipped. During summer months I ship open carrier and
I pay them to find shipper/driver and also add a $150 bonus payment for car to be positioned on top of carrier so no oil/fluids drip on it and less chance of road debris hitting it.
Broker booked my car. During winter I would ship enclosed carrier

Most all shipping brokers/drivers are of Russian, Ukrainian or Arab decent. At least the one's I've dealt with. Hard assed hard working people and I respect that. I;ve also always tipped the driver well on arrival if all is smooth which has been the case. I also tip the broker a few dollars after car arrives. Important to show appreciation as most people don't tip or care.

So this most recent shipping agreement was for my car to be picked up on 7/12 and shipped to my house in Seattle on 7/20. This happens to be a fairly longer than usual timeframe because shipping is usually 1 day per 700-800 miles.
I leave on a 5 day trip on 7/25 and broker well aware of the schedule. Also broker always sends me drivers ph# so I can be in contact- Something I depend on because these drivers have a mind of their own and know they hold all the cards.
Broker emails me with confirmation 7/12 pickup-7/20 delivery

Car picked up on 7/12 all good----> After 2 days no driver ph# sent to me. After email to broker I receive drivers#. Turns out not drivers number but office number.
I phoned yesterday, 3 days after pickup----> Heavy accent Russian owner explains he does not give out drivers#. Driver have to sleep driver have to eat driver have delvery driver have to concentrate on driving not talk on phone driver has no guarantee on delivery broker tell you wrong - Could be 5 day could be 10 day could be 2 week, he don't know.

I was friendly on the phone, understanding and polite because he's got my car and basically has me by the *****.
If theres one thing that irritates me is being treated like a fuc_ing 2 year old. This guys I don't give a sh_t attitude starts my wheels spinning

I emailed my broker last night and asked him to please follow up and get some answers from this ass_ole and do everything in a very friendly understanding manner - I also told broker they will be responsible for any storage associated with the car having to be held because of delinquency on shippers end of the deal and not delivering by 7/25 which was guaranteed thru emails to broker.
Should be interesting to see if broker gets some answers.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:01 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

Exactly the headaches I was trying to avoid when buying from Portland. It's a slow time of the year for my consulting business so I flew out on day 3 after putting a deposit on the car as I was going to Scandinavia for 2 weeks the following Sunday. I had no choice but to get the car myself and drive it 2008 miles from Portland to Dallas. Some horror stories and frustration about shipping read here and other forums pretty much cinched the deal. The economics were about equal or maybe worse considering adding 2000 miles in 3 days to a car that only had 10k in 8 years. But having the car safe and secure in my garage (yet alone mine) was worth it, as any hesitation or delay may have allowed someone else to buy the car out from under me. My only regrets were not having the time to turn the 2000 mile trip into more of an adventure - stop and see old friends in Oregon, Abq, and visit Aches and Moab to photograph the car in these locations.
Old 07-16-2019, 11:58 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,248 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I never ever use brokers. Intercity, Reliable and their ilk are the way to go. They own the trucks and the drivers are their employees. I'm sure you know this Groove, but this post is for others thinking about shipping. Your issue is the sort of thing that can happen. I used a broker many years ago for my first Porsche from FL (a 928), and let's just say here were lots of issues. Intercity and Reliable both provide discounts for Rennlist forum members. They are not particularly higher priced than the others either. My .02.
The following 2 users liked this post by linderpat:
Freddie Two Bs (08-25-2019), MexicoBlueTurboS (07-16-2019)
Old 07-16-2019, 08:29 PM
street rod
Drifting

Received 222 Likes on 167 Posts

I agree with linderpat ^^^. I always use enclosed and use Reliable. I don't care if it costs a couple hundred more, all I care about is having peace of mind and the car arriving in perfect condition as it was when picked up. The Reliable guys keep in constant contact and treat your car like a Pebble Beach concourse winner, not to mention they have millions in insurance coverage. Again I am sure Groov knows this all very well but that's my view. Groov I hope it all works out. Probably will but I know that feeling until it arrives.
Old 07-16-2019, 09:24 PM
Greg2010
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 58 Posts

I share your pain!

I've had my share of good (but mostly bad) experiences with auto transport brokers given that the auto transport industry is full of incompetent brokers/independent drivers and is somewhat of a crapshoot! The amount of damage and theft that occurs within this industry is beyond troubling.

On a positive note, my last three auto transports were with a professional auto transport company (PlyCar) who specializes in closed carrier transports utilizing trailers with a unique lift system while employing their own drivers. Plycar is also the P-car transporter for Porsche of South Bay (coast to coast) and for good reason. I will never think about going with anyone else!
Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

My sister used a broker to ship a 996 from OH to TX and it showed up with a hundred extra miles on odometer.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:02 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Update:
My broker emailed me yesterday evening. He confirmed delivery of car for 7/22 and perhaps earlier - Still no driver ph# but I'm not going to sweat it.
I'll let the broker sweat it not me.
As far as open carrier, if it were winter I would have certainly used enclosed shipping.
During summer months traveling from Tx to Seattle (w/car guaranteed on TOP of trailer to avoid fluid/oil drips) on open carrier doesn't bother me at all.
I see open carrier as savings of $900 to throw into Fister Sport Exhaust

C4SDayton - As far as discovering 100 miles being added to the car when delivered, I'd be pissed and would insist on immediate PPI including engine leak down/etc paid for by shipper and not accept the car unless compensated accordingly.

Most every driver I have dealt with has handled my cars with extreme care - Very detailed about noting every imperfection along with photos.
When my 05 997S was delivered last year, the driver wanted to meet me at Costco car wash so I could run it thru their car washer before I inspected it.

The driver/shipper who picked up my 1980 911sc a few weeks ago to be delivered to buyer in Chicago was crazy meticulous and took 30 minutes to inspect every last detail on exterior with 40-50 photos.
Every surface scratch only seen by certain angles were noted, every trim piece out of alignment noted.
These drivers are very careful because the companies have large $2500 deductibles and any damages up to the deductible cost come out of drivers pocket.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:57 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
Exactly the headaches I was trying to avoid when buying from Portland. It's a slow time of the year for my consulting business so I flew out on day 3 after putting a deposit on the car as I was going to Scandinavia for 2 weeks the following Sunday. I had no choice but to get the car myself and drive it 2008 miles from Portland to Dallas. Some horror stories and frustration about shipping read here and other forums pretty much cinched the deal. The economics were about equal or maybe worse considering adding 2000 miles in 3 days to a car that only had 10k in 8 years. But having the car safe and secure in my garage (yet alone mine) was worth it, as any hesitation or delay may have allowed someone else to buy the car out from under me. My only regrets were not having the time to turn the 2000 mile trip into more of an adventure - stop and see old friends in Oregon, Abq, and visit Aches and Moab to photograph the car in these locations.
Alternative thought: if the weather is decent, why not hire someone (responsible) on here to make the trip? Heck, I have had free time on my hands over the past couple of months. If you pick up gas and a return flight, I can get your car down to you?

I understand not wanting to do so on a super low mile garage queen, but if we are talking a 40k mile car, an extra 1500 miles isn't a big deal and probably offset by paying $700 in expenses vs $1500 in transport
Old 07-17-2019, 04:00 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I have used brokers and not an issue (yet). But I realize that it is a crapshoot. I have seen some sketchy trucks, gotten cars delivered a week late, and cars that showed up dirty somehow (while being shipped enclosed). I also had a great delivery experience by an enclosed shipper out of Phoenix. I wish I still had his card: he was the same price as everyone else but super pro.

You get what you pay for, and as most shippers are not going to see repeat business from you, they are more likely to cut corners any way they can.
Old 07-17-2019, 06:20 PM
RacerWannabe
Rennlist Member

Received 87 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
I have used brokers and not an issue (yet). But I realize that it is a crapshoot. I have seen some sketchy trucks, gotten cars delivered a week late, and cars that showed up dirty somehow (while being shipped enclosed). I also had a great delivery experience by an enclosed shipper out of Phoenix. I wish I still had his card: he was the same price as everyone else but super pro.

You get what you pay for, and as most shippers are not going to see repeat business from you, they are more likely to cut corners any way they can.
I'll second what dawg said here - aside from the fact that there is possibly a problem with the car I just received, it also (despite being very well detailed by the seller and also having ceramic coating applied) showed up absolutely filthy, despite being on an enclosed trailer. Car was also 10 days late. Bad experience all around.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:56 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Alternative thought: if the weather is decent, why not hire someone (responsible) on here to make the trip? Heck, I have had free time on my hands over the past couple of months. If you pick up gas and a return flight, I can get your car down to you?

I understand not wanting to do so on a super low mile garage queen, but if we are talking a 40k mile car, an extra 1500 miles isn't a big deal and probably offset by paying $700 in expenses vs $1500 in transport
I agree with this. I bought a cayenne in Sacramento; I live in virginia. It was cheaper and quicker for the wife and I to fly out and drive the car back. We were able to better inspect the car and get aquatinted with it over the next three days.

Moreover, I'd happily drive a car to help it for cost of getting there and back.

Cw
Old 07-17-2019, 09:58 PM
bgoetz
Burning Brakes

Received 387 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerWannabe
I'll second what dawg said here - aside from the fact that there is possibly a problem with the car I just received, it also (despite being very well detailed by the seller and also having ceramic coating applied) showed up absolutely filthy, despite being on an enclosed trailer. Car was also 10 days late. Bad experience all around.
Is this the same one you have the post about a possible issue? Did you check the miles to be sure it hadn’t been driven?
Old 07-19-2019, 10:28 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

That kind of thinking would never enter my head. Please understand, I am not mocking the idea itself but all of the random variables that might come from such a situation.

The first being.... "Uh..... your car broke down in the middle of the desert. I hitched a ride with a chicken rancher and caught the red eye back to my home. Your car is somewhere between Barstow and Phoenix - can't really remember the road right now. Keys are under the floor mat and the title is in the glovebox"
Old 07-19-2019, 02:23 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
That kind of thinking would never enter my head. Please understand, I am not mocking the idea itself but all of the random variables that might come from such a situation.

The first being.... "Uh..... your car broke down in the middle of the desert. I hitched a ride with a chicken rancher and caught the red eye back to my home. Your car is somewhere between Barstow and Phoenix - can't really remember the road right now. Keys are under the floor mat and the title is in the glovebox"
Yes, not mocking the idea. In another time of my life, I would do it, the driving. However, as I sit at my desk this Friday morning ...first thing that entered my mind - Vanishing Point.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:49 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

I've purchase lots of P-cars over my 30 years as an addict. I've driven probably 16 of them home from Texas, Arizona, Southern Calif, Northern Calif and Southern Or.. Years ago I've also driven my 356's and 911's from Seattle to LA and SF ( the Dunkel swap meet in LA, down to SF to visit friends). When I was 25-40 years old it was fun - At 60 ain't so much fun anymore. I can handle 8-10 hours in car seat but then it's F_ck that I'm flying home.
This was the case with my 2007 C4S last year. I purchased in Houston and was planning to drive it home to Seattle. I quit the trip after driving 1600 miles to LA and had it shipped and flew home.

This scenario of using a driver could be an absolute nightmare.
Lets list a few issues that could certainly arise hiring someone to drive car 2600 miles from Houston to Seattle::
1. Driver of your car pounds on it and over revs engine several times like a joyriding kid.
2. Driver of your car kills someone in accident and even worse outcome if driving while drunk/stoned
3. Driver has accident
4. An additional 2600 miles driven on highway with tons of trucks/etc leads to lots of road rash if no clear bra - I am very familiar with this scenario from my many road trips.

So I'm a proponent of shipping

Quick Reply: The Mindset of a Shipper