Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Does your current 997 have accident damage history?
Yes, Carfax shows accident damage
17.95%
No, Carfax shows no accident damage
76.92%
Carfax shows no damage but it has had paint work.
5.13%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Does your 997 show a Carfax Accident?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 03:12 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts
Default Does your 997 show a Carfax Accident?

All,

I realized yesterday that the 2007 997S I just purchased is the 1st 997 I've owned (1 '05 997S/1 '07 C4S) with no previous accident history.
Also, both of my 996 C2's and all 3 of my 996C4S"s that I owned about 6-8 years ago during my 996C4S addiction had accident history.
Cars with minor accident history are usually better deals and the repair work is mostly done to high standard so why not....

Thought it would be interesting to see how many of us owners have 997's with or w/o accident history on Carfax ---> *Also can poll no Carfax accident damage but car has had paint work..

Old 07-15-2019, 04:13 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 09 C2S from Texas with 54K miles on the odometer, slid into some sort of post that damaged the left rear fender and broke the wheel into several pieces. This was expertly repaired but resulted in a salvage title. The seller made four attempts to sell the car on Ebay before he accepted my ridiculously low offer. Upon receiving the car I was astonished at the pristine condition the car was in, The car had been expertly repainted and I couldn't be happier with the outcome. I also previously bought a 993 with 21K miles on it with a salvage title (it took some kind of post in the driver's door) and regret selling that one. It seems to take very little actual collision damage to a Porsche to result in a salvage title and huge loss of the cars value.
Old 07-15-2019, 06:26 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

@groovzilla Did you have any issues when selling cars with accidents? It seems like it is much less of a thing when the cars are 10+ years and not a super rarity or high end version.

Dennis - how ridiculous as a percentage of his ask ? Thanks
Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
@groovzilla Did you have any issues when selling cars with accidents? It seems like it is much less of a thing when the cars are 10+ years and not a super rarity or high end version.

Dennis - how ridiculous as a percentage of his ask ? Thanks
The cars I've purchased with Carfax accident were not Salvaged Titles. Salvage Tiles are a completely different mindset but as Dennis above stated, it is amazing how great a job shops can do if done professionally.
The Salvage Title is one I wouldn't go near unless it was a gift at 30 cents on the dollar. I believe it is way to hard to sell a Salvage Titled car because banks won't loan on them and just the stigma of the word "Salvaged" - Also many Salvaged cars have had flood damage which can show it's ugly head years down the road after wire harness invasion.

My 996/997's had minor damage shown on Carfax and Airbag not deployed.
Never a problem selling and sell price was close to market.

...and yes I think the older the car the easier it is for someone to swallow a previous accident.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:08 PM
Astraelraen
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts

My Targa has "damage reported" but no accident. I researched pretty heavily before buying it but couldn't figure out the difference in types as reported by Carfax. I wanted a Targa model and had been looking for almost 8 months. It ticked all the boxes and price so I bit despite the Carfax.

Someone backed into my truck in a parking lot damaging the back door + a spot on the bed. Wasn't going to use insurance but the bill ended up being nearly $5,000. The damage shows up on Carfax for them replacing the door skin and doing some metal work on the corner of the bed.
Old 07-15-2019, 10:12 PM
Louis de Funes
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 245 Posts

no Accident on my Carfax
Old 07-15-2019, 10:28 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Always fun buying a Porsche from owner with accident on Carfax.
The ammunition factor is huge.
We all know the professional shops do outstanding work and most P-cars look awesome after accident repair however owner/seller always little timid/worried about the scar on Cfax and this allows for some serious grinding on price.
Don't tell anyone I said so
Old 07-15-2019, 11:16 PM
wyowolf
Instructor

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

i had a 550 M sport that had a "collision"... basically a tractor trailer rolled back onto my car on the freeway at about 1mph... it was listed as a collision ,,,but it sure dinged me on resale even though it was all sheetmetal and done by a BMW shop...
Old 07-16-2019, 02:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,058 Likes on 742 Posts

Had the rear bumper replaced and obviously painted after being rear ended. It's been more than 12 months and last I checked, no Carfax history of the event. The repair work is warrantied as undetectable. Started a thread about it here and then put the car on the market for a few months. Some made a big deal out of it and others didn't care one bit.
Old 07-16-2019, 08:28 AM
rap
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought a Targa that showed a carfax accident report that was difficult to understand and determine the true nature of the damage. Took a flyer and had the car gone over with a fine tooth comb by the local Porsche dealer when I got home. I figured they might have incentive to look carefully to possibly find something to repair. Car came back with a glowing report. Wasn’t able to grind down the price much but I attribute that to being from out of state.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 AM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 163 Likes on 90 Posts

None on mine. I didn't go into my GTS search back in 2015 thinking about the Carfax history of the car, but did have slightly better peace of mind in finding a clean one.
Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

No, that was something that for some reason was a sticking point for me. I wanted a clean carfax with no damage or bodywork history.

Quick Reply: Does your 997 show a Carfax Accident?