Sponsored by:

Blasphemy... more comfort!!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 02:12 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Blasphemy... more comfort!!?

I have a 997.1 C4S and will be replacing all 4 dampers. Is there a damper option that will increase my daily driving comfort without compromising the sport??
Old 07-10-2019, 02:44 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

so, I am assuming you have PASM with the C4S. Your budget matters a lot but I would also argue that a controller such as the DSC unit would allow you to tune the suspension more specifically to your liking. If you did not have PASM, you could manually do something similar with coilovers like KW V3 or Ohlins R+T and mess with settings + springs.

I think If I wanted to retain PASM and I was in the market for replacement dampers, I would look at Bilstein Damtronic coilovers (expensive) or Tractive Coilovers (expensiver) with a DSC controller.

https://www.dscsport.com/product/tra...97-rt-package/

BTW, I have no connection to any company but I just think about suspension, a lot...like way too much. It is the one thing on cars that I cannot seem to get to be exactly as I want it to be ever but I can get close.

I am interested to hear what other people think though, especially non-coilover options.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:15 AM
Phrog Phlyer
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

"Bruce in Philly" installed a DSC module and it appears that he loves it. https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...y-opinion.html
YOu could probably PM him for more info
Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 AM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Ohlins R&T improved my ride vs pasm substantially.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Another vote for the DSC controller. I have a full track suspension setup in my car including Bilstein B16 Damptronics and RSS Tarmac Series stage 2 - no rubber bushings left in the suspension at all and with the customization (softness) available via the DSC controller, the car is still perfectly comfortable for around town driving and long road trips, and with a press of the Sport PASM button a mountain attack weapon. Don't give up the PASM functionality and add the DSC.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:22 PM
sbbarnett
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 18 Posts

Another vote for the DSC before anything more intrusive. I installed it in my 997.1 C2S, and it made a very nice improvement in around town driving. The installation of the required accelerometer was a bit of a pain, but worth it.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Yep, still loving it. In short, it makes the ride more refined. Softer around town but no roll. Stiffens the particular shock as needed. Excellent product and a heck of a value IMO. The tuning ability is nice, but not at all neccessary... they have it tuned pretty well from the shop.

I am serious about this: If you have PASM, you should buy it and try it. If you don;t like it, sell it off for minimal loss. Installation takes 5 minutes, no tools, and does not damage the car at all.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-10-2019, 06:36 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 354 Likes on 222 Posts

I have DSC on 997.1S and am in total agreement with what Bruce wrote above about the ride but it took me a lot longer than 5 minutes to install
Old 07-11-2019, 01:59 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

I just drove 10:44 hrs today, over 664 miles of the most beautiful land in this country. And I've got about the same on the menu tomorrow. The roads however, are not the smoothest.

I can absolutely sympathize.

Assuming you've worked on tire pressure first. You should be on the low end of the load range for comfort or even just a little under.

I would also stick with the stock PASM dampers, and add dsc first.

If that is still too stiff, I would actually recommend blasphemy. Replacing the sport spring with the base spring would I think be my next move if you can verify the base spring has a lower spring rate than the sport spring. I would expect it to be lower since it sits higher, but I am not 100% certain. Folks say the base suspension rides harder than PASM set to normal, but the dampers could be the reason. I am also not 100% certain that the base spring would sit properly in the sport damper's spring perches. But you should be able to find a takeoff set of base springs no problem and very low cost.
Old 07-11-2019, 01:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

The DSC will change the damp behavior, but to really improve high frequency bump response one needs non-linear springs with a soft top.
Old 07-11-2019, 05:11 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

+1 on DSC Sport Controller

Recently drove well over 2,600 miles in 2 amazing trips including spirited driving segments on the Lillooet Loop (British Columbia) & San Francisco to Vancouver via the coast. Out of the box, the controller gave me a softer comfortable ride on some horrid urban roads. On the flip side, my GTS never handled better through the continuous twisting roads and highways.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:44 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok. Good insights on the DCS module. Yes, I have PASM but I’m getting some clunking from the front shocks. They will certainly be replaced with something along with the rears eventually.

I will update the thread when I decide on what I will purchase.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
Ok. Good insights on the DCS module. Yes, I have PASM but I’m getting some clunking from the front shocks. They will certainly be replaced with something along with the rears eventually.

I will update the thread when I decide on what I will purchase.
Shocks don't usually clunk. Control arms clunk and will do so before shocks fail (most of the time).

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-12-2019, 09:42 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Shocks don't usually clunk. Control arms clunk and will do so before shocks fail (most of the time).

Peace,
Bruce in Philly
Upper shock mounts can also clunk but as Bruce says, shocks themselves don't usually. For the shock to be bad, it's usually leaking fluid.
Old 07-12-2019, 10:22 AM
tpca789
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am also thinking of going the DSC route. Unfortunately my right front strut is creaking/groaning and inspection reveals fluid leak, so new struts are in order. Thinking Bilstein B6 damptronics plus the DSC unit would be the way to? Is front strut replacement a DIY project for a keen but not particularly experienced amateur. I did the Sharkwerks X pipe and plugs and coils/ VVT solenoid without too much problem (thanks to the great DIY instructions on this forum. Thanks Bruce!) and have a Quickjack lift, but the thought of needing spring compressors etc worries me a bit!!

Quick Reply: Blasphemy... more comfort!!?