Sponsored by:

997 Exige/Elise owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 07:13 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 997 Exige/Elise owners?

I shouldn't be doing this (literally all of my friends and brother are all telling me I'm stupid for even considering) but I'm considering selling my 997 C2S to pick up a Lotus Elise or Exige (prefer Exige).

I have an E36 and E46 M3 that can serve as my "german 2 door coupe" fix and thoughts would be an Exige would be a great change of pace and I'd feel much better about starting to dip a toe into track days with one of those as opposed to my super clean and low miles 997 that I would want to get a dedicated set of wheels/tires for etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with both? If so (I know this is a tough ask on Rennlist) please try and be as unbiased as possible with a recommendation and feedback.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2019, 08:32 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 129 Likes on 87 Posts

I have driven one. Considered it when going from my E46 M3 to my next car. I was looking for something as close to my racing kart as possible as I already have an SUV as a daily. After driving them and really thinking hard about it, I decided against it and got the 997. For me, they are just too small, too tight, not refined enough, etc...

I have also driven an Evora Sport 410 in a 6MT (one of only 8 in the country) and it was a great car. My buddy has one as well as an GT4 and a 997.2 GT3. Needless to say, it was a fun day of driving as he lives right next to canyon roads. Overall my impression was, "why dont more people buy the Lotus Evora?" I love my 911, it is a great car, especially for the used price. I also loves the GT4, but if you can get over the "Lotus having a Toyota engine" thing, the Evora was a blast to drive and if I weren't so in love with the 911, it was be very high on my list. Seems like in this price range we see a lot of 997, Corvettes, M3, etc....but often forget about the Evora. Id much rather have an Evora over the Vette or huge/heavy M3
Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by rodH
I have driven one. Considered it when going from my E46 M3 to my next car. I was looking for something as close to my racing kart as possible as I already have an SUV as a daily. After driving them and really thinking hard about it, I decided against it and got the 997. For me, they are just too small, too tight, not refined enough, etc...

I have also driven an Evora Sport 410 in a 6MT (one of only 8 in the country) and it was a great car. My buddy has one as well as an GT4 and a 997.2 GT3. Needless to say, it was a fun day of driving as he lives right next to canyon roads. Overall my impression was, "why dont more people buy the Lotus Evora?" I love my 911, it is a great car, especially for the used price. I also loves the GT4, but if you can get over the "Lotus having a Toyota engine" thing, the Evora was a blast to drive and if I weren't so in love with the 911, it was be very high on my list. Seems like in this price range we see a lot of 997, Corvettes, M3, etc....but often forget about the Evora. Id much rather have an Evora over the Vette or huge/heavy M3

Good post, thank you.

i looked at early Evora’s before the 997 and the power was lacking and the warping dashes on all I looked at turned me off.

That said, I would love an Evora 400 but then when I start down that path, I start to think “at $75k I could get into a 996 GT3 or not far from a 997 GT3”.

car lust life
Old 06-24-2019, 09:20 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

Try it and come back if you don't like it. There's a few lotus elise, a white exige and yellow alfa romeo 4C at our local Porsche meets and I can honestly say that they don't do it for me lookwise. The 4C is way too small for me to even fit in it and I noticed it cause it was parked beside me last Sunday and the size of the cockpit is claustrophobic. Maybe the lotus's are as small, I never noticed. I don't go over to check them out cause as said, they leave me totally uninterested.

Don't get me wrong, I think they are cute but lack the prestige, panache and thoroughbred that the 911 have along with the ferraris, lambos and other super cars that show up. And judging from the reaction of the crowd at the meets, they pretty much leave everybody else of ice.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:10 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

I went to test drive an Evora. Attracted by the go-cart like specs and carbon fiber monocoque I was really looking forward to it.

Sadly, while trying to get into the car my right femur became irretrievably lodged between the steering wheel and the center console while my left leg and the rest of my body were still outside of the car. The fire dept came, broke my leg in 3 well thought out places and freed me from the car after being stuck there overnight.

I learned my lesson, got back into my roomy Spitfire and decided no more British cars for me and drove myself to hospital.
The following 4 users liked this post by MexicoBlueTurboS:
Baker92 (11-21-2021), Dennis R. Cliff (06-25-2019), Petza914 (06-25-2019), propchef (03-13-2020)
Old 06-24-2019, 10:31 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I went to test drive an Evora. Attracted by the go-cart like specs and carbon fiber monocoque I was really looking forward to it.

Sadly, while trying to get into the car my right femur became irretrievably lodged between the steering wheel and the center console while my left leg and the rest of my body were still outside of the car. The fire dept came, broke my leg in 3 well thought out places and freed me from the car after being stuck there overnight.

I learned my lesson, got back into my roomy Spitfire and decided no more British cars for me and drove myself to hospital.
Well played.
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 11:17 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Made in England.

’Nuf sed.
Old 06-24-2019, 11:54 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Slc801
Well played.
I can wear a bowler in my 997.

Actual photo of me after learning how much new plugs and coils cost.

Old 06-25-2019, 11:58 AM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

If you’re considering going down that path I recommend checking out a 4C coupe with all the performance bells and whistles.

Wicked car and wicked bargain. Many compromises vs a 911 but so many benefits too. Assuming you can deal with the obvious practicality compromises the only real typical complaint is the OEM Pirellis accentuate tram-lining. Two quick fixes are new tires and if that doesnt solve it, minor suspension adjustment.

Far more exciting car than anything Porsche currently offers below $150k and a heckuva lot better at being a sports car than the newest Caymans...I added one recently (a Launch Edition) and it is now my go-to car for twisties. Kept the 997.2 4S because I just love its ability to be a great sports car, the looks, the 6MT, and the relative practicality, but the 4C is awesome. Also the DCT in that application is a non issue as you will have both hands on the wheel when the boost kicks in and as you enjoy the directness of non power assisted steering and <2400 lb weight.
Old 06-25-2019, 12:01 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 168 Likes on 115 Posts

Oh, and unlike the Evora, the 4C is a carbon tub which you can see given the interior is finished so sparsely, with alcantara, some leather and then just all exposed carbon... and not just trim!
Old 06-26-2019, 02:36 AM
mb24064
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I shouldn't be doing this (literally all of my friends and brother are all telling me I'm stupid for even considering) but I'm considering selling my 997 C2S to pick up a Lotus Elise or Exige (prefer Exige).

I have an E36 and E46 M3 that can serve as my "german 2 door coupe" fix and thoughts would be an Exige would be a great change of pace and I'd feel much better about starting to dip a toe into track days with one of those as opposed to my super clean and low miles 997 that I would want to get a dedicated set of wheels/tires for etc.

Does anyone here have any experience with both? If so (I know this is a tough ask on Rennlist) please try and be as unbiased as possible with a recommendation and feedback.

Thanks!
I own a 997.2 C2S and 2007 Exige S. Honestly unless you are looking at a heavier track use split idk If I would. Although the only car I have owned I am just unwilling to part with is the Lotus...

As a track car primarily 75/25 split annually since 2014 the reliability has been great, consumables are unmatched and it doesn't get much more connected to man and machine at that price point.

You can buy, drive and sell if you want for minimal loss as market is steady prices have not fluctuated much. It really is a full compromise driving experience doesn't get more raw really.

Anything specific you are worried about? If you can add a car and keep the 997 that would be nice!
Old 06-26-2019, 10:25 AM
Frank Amoroso
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Default The right tool for the track day job

This thread popped up in my Google feed, so I thought I'd toss in my $0.02. I don't have any 997 seat time on track, but I do have some street time in one. I've owned and autocrossed two 914-4s, I own two air cooled 911s and I've driven many other Porsches, so I'm both a Porsche and a Lotus fan-boy. I do have thousands of laps in a track prepped (1,824 pounds, 300 hp, double adjustable shocks, heim joint suspension) 2005 Elise at Laguna, Sonoma, Thunderhill, Spring Mountain, LVMS, High Plains, PPIR, etc. https://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Dro...nds-MRLS-21214
I've instructed with PCA, BMW, Hooked On Driving, etc.

If you're seriously looking to engage in track day use, an "Elige" needs to be at the top of your list of considerations. It isn't for everyone, but "light makes right" is a real thing. I can't make many (any?) arguments against it being a superior tool for the track day job... Driving dynamics. Driver engagement. Adjustability (suspension, pedals). Acquisition cost, running costs and repair costs. Curb weight (or, most importantly, the lack thereof) dictates not only most all of the above, but also that they are notoriously easy on consumables. Tires, pads and rotors last a relatively long time and when they are due for replacement, they are laughably inexpensive compared to Porsche equivalents. Same goes for repairs. Trash one of those non-pedigreed Toyota motors or transmissions? Used replacements can be had for $1,600 and $1,000, respectively. Try that with a Porsche. The only negative with an Elige is damaged bodywork gets very expensive very quickly.

You owe it to yourself to befriend a Lotus trackday nut and get yourself a ride in one. Work a drive if you can. Even driving one at 7/10s should prove enlightening. My Elise has made many other cars I've driven on track feel like busses. The only car that's made my Elise feel like a bus is a Formula Ford.

Anyway, they're worth a look.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:06 PM
Fastm3driver
1st Gear

Default Stupid? I don't think so.

Thanks!
Maybe I'm biased (I'm guessing most here are porshe biased otherwise) because I have an elise but I'd say go for it based on several reasons. If that's what you are going for.

-The lotus is as close to a race car/go cart as you will find. Mostly due to being around a thousand pounds less then the cars.

-it's smaller and harder to get in and out of unless you are tall and can leave the seat back. I'm short so I need to slide it back and forth. You're good up to 6-4/5 with a helmet. I have 2 friends around that height and drive them regularly.

-if you're wide/fatter it's probably not the car for you

-I've had both M3's. It's a very different experience

-I've driven a cayman S and R. Similar p/w but obviously the lotus is much lighter.

-the 911 has a rear seat. That automatically makes me think "daily driver" or "compromise". Obviously gt's are different but that's a whole different price point. The cayman is a closer experience being mid engine and 2 seats but clearly a better daily driver if that's what you want.

-I can almost guarantee the lotus will be cheaper to run all around. Track or street. I've tracked mine for 9 years with no issues at all. Everything is smaller and lighter so it's much easier on tires and brakes.

-there's many upgrade choices available for the lotus. From power to CF parts.

-the lotus is going up in price, the 911 is going down but obviously not by much so I wouldn't use that as a guide.

-the evora is depreciating faster. While pretty great all around, it isn't super light like an exige/elise and is closer to the porsches. Unless you get some crazy deal on one, I'd get either a 911 or cayman

-the 4c is similar. It's not much different fit/size to the lotus but has some plusses and minuses. Getting in is just as hard imho. The carbon is neat but it's still a heavier car. It's much hard to work on and service. The transmission is the selling point if that's what you want. The trunk is actually way smaller than the lotus. Lol. The interior is only slightly better. It's still got an after market stereo. You could stick an Alcantara carpet or add carbon everywhere in the lotus if that's your thing.

-as far as looks I'll disagree. 911's look like the chevy of exotics to me. They haven't really changed the look in forever for good or bad. They are much more common and regular people know what they are. I've been at the gas station with even ferrari's and people have walked past them to ask about the lotus. Random strangers come up to me every time I leave the house. I've never got gas in a decade without someone walking over. It's chrome orange so I think that's a thing. There's always someone trying to take a picture behind me or someone on the street turning their head. Other than my friends green cayman R, I've never had that experience in any porsche.

My 2 cents at least. I'm sure there's lots of decenting egos in the porshe world but these are the guys who hate melted eggs because they aren't round
The following users liked this post:
Yet anothercrisis (07-02-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 03:11 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by mb24064
I own a 997.2 C2S and 2007 Exige S. Honestly unless you are looking at a heavier track use split idk If I would. Although the only car I have owned I am just unwilling to part with is the Lotus...

As a track car primarily 75/25 split annually since 2014 the reliability has been great, consumables are unmatched and it doesn't get much more connected to man and machine at that price point.

You can buy, drive and sell if you want for minimal loss as market is steady prices have not fluctuated much. It really is a full compromise driving experience doesn't get more raw really.

Anything specific you are worried about? If you can add a car and keep the 997 that would be nice!

Hugely appreciate the insight, thank you!

I'd love to add an Exige and keep the 997 but I think I'm already pushing it as is for total cars, available space and total outlay my wife will tolerate. I really enjoy both M3's but the 997 is no doubt the better car in every facet.

I dont think I will sell the 997 at the moment to go shopping, rather I think I'll keep an eye out and see if something pops up locally and go from there. Most of the ones I have interest in are several states away and that would require buying without ever having driven or even seen an Exige.

Really great feedback though and makes the "want" even higher.
Old 06-26-2019, 03:14 PM
Slc801
Advanced

Originally Posted by Frank Amoroso
This thread popped up in my Google feed, so I thought I'd toss in my $0.02. I don't have any 997 seat time on track, but I do have some street time in one. I've owned and autocrossed two 914-4s, I own two air cooled 911s and I've driven many other Porsches, so I'm both a Porsche and a Lotus fan-boy. I do have thousands of laps in a track prepped (1,824 pounds, 300 hp, double adjustable shocks, heim joint suspension) 2005 Elise at Laguna, Sonoma, Thunderhill, Spring Mountain, LVMS, High Plains, PPIR, etc. https://amoroso.smugmug.com/Cars/Dro...nds-MRLS-21214
I've instructed with PCA, BMW, Hooked On Driving, etc.

If you're seriously looking to engage in track day use, an "Elige" needs to be at the top of your list of considerations. It isn't for everyone, but "light makes right" is a real thing. I can't make many (any?) arguments against it being a superior tool for the track day job... Driving dynamics. Driver engagement. Adjustability (suspension, pedals). Acquisition cost, running costs and repair costs. Curb weight (or, most importantly, the lack thereof) dictates not only most all of the above, but also that they are notoriously easy on consumables. Tires, pads and rotors last a relatively long time and when they are due for replacement, they are laughably inexpensive compared to Porsche equivalents. Same goes for repairs. Trash one of those non-pedigreed Toyota motors or transmissions? Used replacements can be had for $1,600 and $1,000, respectively. Try that with a Porsche. The only negative with an Elige is damaged bodywork gets very expensive very quickly.

You owe it to yourself to befriend a Lotus trackday nut and get yourself a ride in one. Work a drive if you can. Even driving one at 7/10s should prove enlightening. My Elise has made many other cars I've driven on track feel like busses. The only car that's made my Elise feel like a bus is a Formula Ford.

Anyway, they're worth a look.
Thank you Frank! Yes the consumables and connection (and looks) are the biggest draws by far. I dont want to turn my 997 into a track car, and even if I did, tires/pads etc would all be substantially more expensive.

Great insight and appreciated.

Quick Reply: 997 Exige/Elise owners?