Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is this creaking noise? Front right groaning/creaking - strut mount?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2019, 09:40 AM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Received 17 Likes on 8 Posts
Default What is this creaking noise? Front right groaning/creaking - strut mount?

Hey folks! I purchased my 997 at 28k miles, the previous owner was a guy who barely drove it in his 12 years of ownership. I've already put 10k miles on it in the last ~15 months. Recently, I've noticed a groaning/creaking noise coming from the front right suspension when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It comes and goes. I was at a work conference out of town when this issue first occurred, so I brought it to a nearby Porsche dealership (Alexandria VA) and they diagnosed it as a worn upper strut mount, but asked a shocking $2,600 to replace it. I said no thanks, and brought it to my local mechanic for a second opinion. However, after driving hundreds of miles home, the noise seemed to have gone away, and my mechanic couldn't replicate the problem.

I drove it for a few more months, and again on a long road trip the noise started to recur. After I got home, I brought it to my mechanic, and again the noise seemed to have subsided so he couldn't replicate the problem!

Yesterday I was in the process of moving cross-country, and again the noise recurred! This time I got a video of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CYtwDAzHv7KFbPTa7

What do you guys think? Was the dealership correct? If so, do any of you guys know which part I need to buy to fix it? I recently moved into a house with a big garage and driveway, so I'll try to fix it myself. On Pelican Parts there is the Porsche Shock Mount (997-343-018-01-OEM) but it's a bit hard for me to figure out what's causing the problem without taking the suspension apart first, and even then I may not be expert enough to identify the problem visually. A big issue with bringing it to mechanics is that the problem is so transient. After I took this video, I had my dad come try to listen to the car and figure out where it was coming from, and it had already subsided quite a bit. However, more typically it will last for a few hours to days and then inexplicably go away for a while.

Any help would be appreciated!
Old 06-23-2019, 11:14 AM
tango131
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue997_1
Hey folks! I purchased my 997 at 28k miles, the previous owner was a guy who barely drove it in his 12 years of ownership. I've already put 10k miles on it in the last ~15 months. Recently, I've noticed a groaning/creaking noise coming from the front right suspension when I turn the steering wheel at low speeds. It comes and goes. I was at a work conference out of town when this issue first occurred, so I brought it to a nearby Porsche dealership (Alexandria VA) and they diagnosed it as a worn upper strut mount, but asked a shocking $2,600 to replace it. I said no thanks, and brought it to my local mechanic for a second opinion. However, after driving hundreds of miles home, the noise seemed to have gone away, and my mechanic couldn't replicate the problem.

I drove it for a few more months, and again on a long road trip the noise started to recur. After I got home, I brought it to my mechanic, and again the noise seemed to have subsided so he couldn't replicate the problem!

Yesterday I was in the process of moving cross-country, and again the noise recurred! This time I got a video of it: https://photos.app.goo.gl/CYtwDAzHv7KFbPTa7

What do you guys think? Was the dealership correct? If so, do any of you guys know which part I need to buy to fix it? I recently moved into a house with a big garage and driveway, so I'll try to fix it myself. On Pelican Parts there is the Porsche Shock Mount (997-343-018-01-OEM) but it's a bit hard for me to figure out what's causing the problem without taking the suspension apart first, and even then I may not be expert enough to identify the problem visually. A big issue with bringing it to mechanics is that the problem is so transient. After I took this video, I had my dad come try to listen to the car and figure out where it was coming from, and it had already subsided quite a bit. However, more typically it will last for a few hours to days and then inexplicably go away for a while.

Any help would be appreciated!
It sounds kind of like in this video from heidi and franny?

If so, lower control arm. Easy fix too.
Old 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

I have seen these types of posts since being on this forum. Strut or something with the strut tower always comes up first, but I don’t remember one person saying the strut fixed it. All I have heard that fixed it was the control arms. Check there first and do a search. The bushings dry out especially when the car is not used much and then they wear. Plus a lot cheaper to fix than the struts. Post back what you find.
Old 06-23-2019, 04:51 PM
Linnm
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bump stop?

Check it out
Old 06-23-2019, 05:26 PM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’ve had exact same issue for last year & a half. Now at 60,000 miles. Seems to get worse if the temperature is hot. Almost always goes away if temperature turns cold.

Would love to hear of any successful resolution others have achieved
Old 06-23-2019, 09:17 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

I believe it's the strut mounts. My previous 997.1 did that and changing the mounts fixed it. You can also lubricate the strut mounts with some silicone spray and the sound should go away temporarily.
Old 06-24-2019, 10:14 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,410 Likes on 855 Posts

2009 C2S 134K miles

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ube-it-up.html

Lube it. Before you spend money or find the "perfect lube", just blast it with Silicone spray per my instructions above. It it works, you know the issue and can move to a better penetrating, adhesive lubricant when and if the creak comes back. Save your money.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 06-24-2019 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-24-2019, 12:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

The sway bar bushings can also cause this type of intermittent squeaking.
Old 08-30-2019, 07:20 PM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Hey guys, I just wanted to bump my old thread and give a quick update. I think the creaking sound was due to a failed strut mount bearing. I took the suspension off and found that the bearing basically fell apart. I think maybe when loaded up, it was creating a grinding sound. I replaced the entire strut mount assembly and this seems to have cured the issue. My lower control arm and sway bar link seemed okay.

It was a pretty difficult job, took me about three afternoons. If the left side goes bad, I'm sure it will take me significantly less time.

I have a few questions though, for anyone with expertise...

1.) How am I supposed to tighten the lower control arm with the car loaded? If I lower the car down, there's not enough room to tighten the bolt. I ended up jacking the suspension up to approximate the normal ride height (kind of nerve-wracking because the entire front end lifts up a little) and then tried to tighten the LCA as much as I could.

2.) Is there a way to get the LCA bolt to 89 lb-ft without a lift and the crazy wrench contraption shown in Franny's garage video above? I managed to fit my torque wrench into the space, and tried my hardest but could only get it to approximately 60-70 lb-ft. It's just too awkward of a location to reach without getting underneath the car and removing the plastic panels.

3.) Is there somewhere I can get the 21 mm strut nut socket for a reasonable price? Pelican has it, but they charge $14 shipping for a $15 socket... no one else seems to stock it online. I tightened my strut nut as much as possible but it's quite difficult without this specific, kind of elusive tool.

I was sort of debating bringing my car to a mechanic just to get these three minor issues addressed. I wonder if they will be annoyed that I have such specific issues, but doing it myself just seems like a pain in the butt.
Old 08-30-2019, 08:21 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

As I was reading through the thread my first impressions were strut mount bearing or upper strut mount bushing gone bad. Sorry to hear about your issues putting things back together. When I replaced my control track bar arms (coffin shape) and lower control arms (fork shape) I had the front end lifted and on jacks with wheels off. Every thing seemed to go back on easily.

To be honest... anytime you remove and replace a strut I would highly recommend getting a new alignment done. I have asked to alignment guys to recheck my torque specs on the parts I swapped.

here are some crazy accessories that may help a torque wrench in tight spots. Harbor freight... although the Franny tool is cool too..

Old 08-30-2019, 10:31 PM
Blue997_1
Advanced

Thanks qikqbn! I've already scheduled an alignment and I'll ask the shop to check the torque on my suspension, particularly the troublesome LCA mount. Maybe they can properly tighten my strut mount as well.
The following users liked this post:
qikqbn (08-31-2019)

Quick Reply: What is this creaking noise? Front right groaning/creaking - strut mount?