Sponsored by:

Ignition Switch Failure?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 08:56 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts
Default Ignition Switch Failure?

OK, did a search here and on 6speedonline, and didn't find much help in diagnosing my issue. From time to time, my car will not start. Turn the key, and nothing. No electric, no windows or radio, and importantly, no starter turning. It is an intermittent problem. I will then turn the steering wheel, or drift the car forward or backward a few inches, then it will eventually start. There is going to come a day when nothing will work however, because that's just what ends up happening.

Note - I did replace the clutch micro-switch a few months ago, and the problem went away for a bit. It could be I got a bad switch to replace a bad switch, but I doubt it. I think it might be the ignition switch on its way out. What are the symptoms of a failing ignition switch? The replacement job looks fairly easy from Philly Bruce's write up.
Old 06-21-2019, 10:47 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Nothing? Bump.

At least gimme a "like"
The following users liked this post:
INTMD8 (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:58 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

This is an odd one. Any codes being thrown? Can you tape or short out the the micro switch?

Hard to diagnose as this is not a common problem in my experience... other than that switch.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-21-2019, 12:25 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
This is an odd one. Any codes being thrown? Can you tape or short out the the micro switch?

Hard to diagnose as this is not a common problem in my experience... other than that switch.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
No codes on it Bruce. I am thinking of over riding the clutch switch and seeing if the issue still appears.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

I suspect that switch is a simple open/close job. Pull it, and put a meter on it.... or a battery and light bulb... to confirm. Then just short the contacts in the plug with a stripped piece of copper wire and tape... or gator clips etc. etc. etc.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 06-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by linderpat
Nothing? Bump.

At least gimme a "like"
As the first person to get a like, I am the self-appointed boss of likes. As such, you may not ask for likes. They can only be counted if they are given freely. Iceter has spoken. The matter is closed.
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (06-22-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 10:32 PM
nosnow
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have no power until you move the steerimg column I would suspect the ignition switch or switch connection. Clutch switch failure you should still have accessory power just no starter engagement.
Old 06-22-2019, 07:18 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nosnow
If you have no power until you move the steerimg column I would suspect the ignition switch or switch connection. Clutch switch failure you should still have accessory power just no starter engagement.
Thank you. I couldn't remember if that was the case with my clutch micro switch, and it was. I will order a new ignition switch and see if that hopefully solves the intermittent problem before it leaves me stranded somewhere.
Old 06-22-2019, 12:10 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 467 Likes on 166 Posts

Yea, its the ignition switch. Happened to mine. You get two symptoms:

1. Starter won't engage from time to time. Mine wasn't caught during the PPI because of that but I noticed it on the drive home. Prior owner told me I was an idiot and just didnt know how to start the car. Since this is intermittent its hard to diagnose.

2. The dead giveaway is a slight delay that starts to develop as you turn the key and when the starter engages (successfully). You may not even notice it anymore because it happens gradually. But you will immediately notice the difference when you put the new ignition switch in.

My indy replaced mine for $250 so I dont have the DIY, but I know its easy.
Old 07-14-2019, 11:17 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Was definitely the ignition switch, and I did the replacement today. The job sucks big time, but it is a DIY job none the less. I added a couple of additional tips to Bruce's excellent write up here: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post15973490

Quick Reply: Ignition Switch Failure?