Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine temp too high when stopped?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 11:46 PM
Maui911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine temp too high when stopped?

Newb question:
Error message , engine temp too high when stopped/idling. Also, a loud fan sound would run for minutes even when the engine is off. BUT, the fan sound would stop if I open the “hood’.

Need input please. Thanks
Old 06-20-2019, 12:35 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by Maui911
Newb question:
Error message , engine temp too high when stopped/idling. Also, a loud fan sound would run for minutes even when the engine is off. BUT, the fan sound would stop if I open the “hood’.

What were:

1 - Ambient temp?

2 - Shown oil temp?

3 - Shown coolant temp?

The fan you heard in the rear which stopped when raising the engine hood is a fan that moves external air down over the top of the engine to control the temp of ancillaries on the engine top. That fand does not cool the engine significantly. The coolant fans are in the front. Were the front fans working? You should check those.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:44 AM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 203 Likes on 98 Posts

Newb question:

Fan with the engine off is normal. This is an engine compartment cooling fan. It forces air downward to protect components and plastics high in the engine bay from the rising heat of the engine and exhaust. The fan is mounted on the hood so opening will disable the fan. It's unrelated to your error message.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:51 AM
Maui911
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
What were:

1 - Ambient temp?

2 - Shown oil temp?

3 - Shown coolant temp?

The fan you heard in the rear which stopped when raising the engine hood is a fan that moves external air down over the top of the engine to control the temp of ancillaries on the engine top. That fand does not cool the engine significantly. The coolant fans are in the front. Were the front fans working? You should check those.
It was around 60degrees at night. Engine temp was at 250. Front fans were running loud as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:01 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,200 Likes on 767 Posts

The water temp gauge is a fancy dummy light ... The computer runs this up to 175 quickly and holds it there. Anytime it goes over 175 you are running hot.

What is the oil temp?

I assume you have checked fluid levels.

You may need to burp the coolant (use the search function that I don't have on my phone interface).

The radiators can become jammed with debris (including between units where you can't see it). Cleaning requires removalof the front bumper to gain access. This goes for bent over fins as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:22 AM
dynemd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm not sure that you should be continuing to drive this car. Take it over to your mechanic and have him take a look. Just MHO.
Old 06-20-2019, 01:55 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 202 Posts

Wait, your oil temps were 250 or the Coolant Gauge said 250? Oil @ 250 seems high but maybe if you pulled high RPM's at slow speed up a big hill.
Coolant temp that high is no good.

Trending Topics

Old 06-20-2019, 03:32 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

It was around 60degrees at night. Engine temp was at 250. Front fans were running loud as well.
60F air temp is low.

Engine 250F... oil temp or coolant temp? If coolant, something is off. If oil temp, it is still high, unless you were at the red line climbing a mountain for a good while.
Old 06-20-2019, 12:22 PM
driggity
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
If oil temp, it is still high, unless you were at the red line climbing a mountain for a good while.
And if that's the case it's not a great idea to just shut off the car when temps are still that high.

Quick Reply: Engine temp too high when stopped?