Sponsored by:

No garage !! Summer car cover?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Redhot2474
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts
Default No garage !! Summer car cover?

So, if you ever told me I’d be buying a condo with no garage, I would have bet you my Porsche that would never happen ...

well, wife and I found by chance a one of a kind beach home of our wildest dreams , except no garage ... in fact I thought I would never move unless it had a MINIMUM of 3 car ...

sometimes life throws us curve ***** ...

so, I must say I love the place so much I’m actually ok with it....

so, we get 3 spaces for our cars which is good ...

I have a place to store my 911 for the winter, so that’s great ....

Now, for non winter usage is there an ez on/off light weight car cover(second skin) I can use for daily use that I can put on and off in less than 3-5 minutes??

I understand this is not a perfect situation, and I’m neurotic about keeping my car clean so this will be challenging for me.....I’m wicked OCD about keeping it spotless (partly therapy 4 me &#128540

I figure I try it for a season, if it’s to much Of a PIA I’ll get a Panamera or some “cool” daily driver ....

really love my 911 so I hope i find a cover that’s manageable and extremely user friendly ....

any suggestions outside of find another condo? Not happening, this place is not replaceable and is an architectural icon from 1895....

thanks for your recommendations!

Last edited by Redhot2474; 06-15-2019 at 08:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:17 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 399 Likes on 272 Posts

Car covers do not work for daily use. Never cover a car that is not clean. Unless... you do not care about paint scratches, swirls and need to have the car covered to protect if from the elements. In the latter case get an all-weather breathable cover.
Old 06-15-2019, 10:24 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

So you would rather no 911 than a dirty 911?
Old 06-15-2019, 10:38 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 119 Likes on 94 Posts

You can always get those nylon thin covers that would install and take-off within a minute or two and would even fit in the frunk.

Keep in mind however that if you put the cover on when the car has even a small amount of dust, it will look all smeared with dust when you take the cover off.

Last edited by Steph1; 06-16-2019 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by bgoetz
So you would rather no 911 than a dirty 911?
I would keep the car uncovered...
Old 06-15-2019, 11:28 PM
bgoetz
Three Wheelin'

Received 391 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I would keep the car uncovered...
No OP it seems he would rather sell it and buy a Panamera
Old 06-16-2019, 12:24 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 380 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
Car covers do not work for daily use. Never cover a car that is not clean. Unless... you do not care about paint scratches, swirls and need to have the car covered to protect if from the elements. In the latter case get an all-weather breathable cover.

If you put the cover on a dirty acr it will stay inside the cover and grind into the paint everytime you put it on.
I use a cover for longer storage periods but I like Ammo Frothe or another waterless wash to use beforehand.
Old 06-16-2019, 09:49 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,702 Likes on 4,259 Posts

Leave it uncovered and enjoy the beach house
Old 06-16-2019, 01:01 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,170 Likes on 2,169 Posts

I would avoid the cover as well. Will end up scratching the paint when you are taking it on and off a not perfectly clean car. Also with a car sitting outside, I wouldn't want to risk the cover getting super dirty as well, even if you got an outdoor one.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:46 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would put ceramic coating on the paint. i would also put a light tint on the windows and you can have the windshield done in almost clear tint that will stop UV and heat.
Old 06-16-2019, 02:11 PM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

So if you are willing to walk away from house with a three car garage for a beach house with no garages the least you could do is share some pictures of the beach house, a president probably should be weighed by the collective. I would agree with the others on outside use of a car cover with a caveat, you could go with two covers, keeping one washed and ready to use, and washing the car before covering with the clean cover then washing the dirty cover for the next cycle. Unfortunately the sun and coastal air is pretty hard on car finishes if not fully protected in a garage. Cheers
Old 06-16-2019, 04:46 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Kuhl997.2!
So if you are willing to walk away from house with a three car garage for a beach house with no garages the least you could do is share some pictures of the beach house, a president probably should be weighed by the collective. I would agree with the others on outside use of a car cover with a caveat, you could go with two covers, keeping one washed and ready to use, and washing the car before covering with the clean cover then washing the dirty cover for the next cycle. Unfortunately the sun and coastal air is pretty hard on car finishes if not fully protected in a garage. Cheers
My comment above is re daily car cover use and missed the beach parking... Oh, yes, routine parking outdoors by the coast is not pretty. Frequent washes and paint protection are needed.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:54 PM
JAGMAN1
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 56 Posts

I just spent 6 days at a house on a dirt road under trees. I used the outdoor cover for the first time.

I was protecting against tree sap. If dirt is the sole concern, then I'd avoid using the cover. I have a cab, so I didn't want sap on the soft top. Putting a cover on a dirty car, or even slightly dirty car made me cringe. You could hear it scratching the paint.
Old 06-17-2019, 06:45 PM
apperception
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Maybe a Noah cover and enjoy your home and car

Some feedback from my experience: I live in rural Georgia on 20 acres and have a 1,200 foot gravel driveway. Until four years ago, I did not even have a carport. Paving the driveway or building a nice garage would have required selling whichever Porsche I owned at the time; thus defeating the point. I've had an 88 Targa, 89 964 C4, and now an 06 997S (and, finally a carport). I used a Noah fabric cover and kept a Sun Shield protector, trying to be careful not to grind in dirt. I am mostly aware that it's just a car and I love where I live and life is short. So, do what you want. Why not enjoy your new place, drive the car you like, and if your worst problem is some scratches and swirls, consider yourself a lucky guy.

Larry in Georgia
Old 06-17-2019, 07:05 PM
Stamatis
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Please do not use a cover. Being the idiot that I am, I covered my car for about 5 days on an airport parking area.
Then I had to pay 400 to remove the scratches that were everywhere and some of them are still visible.
Almost clean car, light cover with some sort of material underneath. Just don’t unless you do not care.
I have no idea how it would behave on ceramic coated car but the detailer said that it would probably be ok.

Quick Reply: No garage !! Summer car cover?