Sponsored by:

Anybody ever sale on BaT???

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:51 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts
Default Anybody ever sale on BaT???

Thinking of selling one of my cars and getting into a 981 Cayman S ( would love a GTS or GT4 but not in my budget unfortunately)

Was wondering if anybody here has ever sold using BaT ???

My guy at West Coast Exotics told me that's the best place to sale

Anybody have a good good experience using them???

thanks for any feedback!

Last edited by SoCal-NSX; 06-06-2019 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I just sold a car on the Bat auction site. First of all they have to read your info and decide whether or not they want to accept it. Putting your car on the BaT auction site requires a lot of work. I submitted 152 high quality photos, a driving video and a walk around video. You have to know your car very well to respond to all the questions and comments that come in. Some comments can be mean spirited but most are not. The main benefit of selling on an auction is that bidders are not looking for low ball deals but are bidding against other people who desire the car in question. If a person does not have deep pockets then why would they bid on a car anyway? I had my car on ebay for $48K and did not receive a single bid. My car just sold for $55K on Bat. It cost me $99.00 to list it. I have heard some reference to BaT as a Porsche auction site. They do sell a lot of P-cars but a lot of other interesting cars as well. So yes, my experience with BaT was very good.
Old 06-07-2019, 03:11 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,428 Likes on 2,701 Posts

Ebay is a joke when it comes to serious buyers or buyers following thru on winning auction - I'd guess only 20-25% of winning bidders actually follow thru with sending $ to seller.

BAT---->Sold my 2003 996C4S on BAT 3 years ago---> Went very well and car sold for top dollar to buyer in Hawaii
BAT has serious buyers - Pretty much everyone follows thru on purchase because of the $1000 premium buyers/winning bidders have to pay which is charged to their credit card immediately after the auction is over
Old 06-07-2019, 04:14 PM
SoCal-NSX
Burning Brakes

Received 879 Likes on 398 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis R. Cliff
Yes, I just sold a car on the Bat auction site. First of all they have to read your info and decide whether or not they want to accept it. Putting your car on the BaT auction site requires a lot of work. I submitted 152 high quality photos, a driving video and a walk around video. You have to know your car very well to respond to all the questions and comments that come in. Some comments can be mean spirited but most are not. The main benefit of selling on an auction is that bidders are not looking for low ball deals but are bidding against other people who desire the car in question. If a person does not have deep pockets then why would they bid on a car anyway? I had my car on ebay for $48K and did not receive a single bid. My car just sold for $55K on Bat. It cost me $99.00 to list it. I have heard some reference to BaT as a Porsche auction site. They do sell a lot of P-cars but a lot of other interesting cars as well. So yes, my experience with BaT was very good.
Wow! $99 flat fee and that's it??

Interesting and great info, couple more questions for you that I couldn't find the answer for on their site if you don't mind.

How do they ensure the people bidding actually have funds?
Is there some sort of deposit to ensure the high bidder actually follows through??? Sounds like BaT gets their 5% fee no matter what from the highest bidder but simply leaves the rest up to the seller to actually get paid the actual bid price???

Since they charge the buyer 5% fee, is there any protections for buyers who buy a car that is not as advertised or if the seller backs out?

Do do they make you agree to any sort of reserve??? Do they set a low reserve to ensure they get some money out of the deal???

thanks for any info, sounds like a good deal for the seller for the most part.
Old 06-07-2019, 04:52 PM
vexed
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I sold a car on BAT last year. Actually it was RNM (reserve not met) but I made a deal with the highest bidder. Good deal for him as he did not have to pay BAT but I paid the 99. As others have said you can’t have too many pics or videos. BAT writes the initial description, I went back and forth a few times with them. Everyone has their opinion as to the best day for your auction to begin/end. BAT is increasingly becoming an elite marketplace but it does have a wide following.

For the reserve you propose it and BAT either agrees or proposes another figure.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:21 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal-NSX
Wow! $99 flat fee and that's it??

Interesting and great info, couple more questions for you that I couldn't find the answer for on their site if you don't mind.

How do they ensure the people bidding actually have funds?
Is there some sort of deposit to ensure the high bidder actually follows through??? Sounds like BaT gets their 5% fee no matter what from the highest bidder but simply leaves the rest up to the seller to actually get paid the actual bid price???

Since they charge the buyer 5% fee, is there any protections for buyers who buy a car that is not as advertised or if the seller backs out?

Do do they make you agree to any sort of reserve??? Do they set a low reserve to ensure they get some money out of the deal???

thanks for any info, sounds like a good deal for the seller for the most part.
BAT only gets 5% if the car meets reserve or from the highest bidder on a no reserve auction. You have to have a valid CC to sign up and bid. They take the 5% from your CC at end of successful auction.

There have been a few situations where the high bidder didn’t follow through on purchase. BAT keeps the 5% and bans them from the site. There have also been a few instances of sellers refusing the sell even when their car meets reserve. Same thing, they get the banhammer.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:38 PM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Sub'd.

I'll likely use BAT if / when I decide to sell.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:59 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
Sub'd.

I'll likely use BAT if / when I decide to sell.
You better tone down the BAT comments on that 308 Ferrari before u get banned
Old 06-08-2019, 11:47 AM
Big Swole
Rennlist Member

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,262 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
You better tone down the BAT comments on that 308 Ferrari before u get banned

LOL. Actually one of my comments that I typed and hit send never made it. That one guy cleared it up that he was not referring to me and his reply.
Old 06-08-2019, 03:39 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

Yes. Sold my 996 a couple months ago. Got quite a bit more for my car than I thought I would. Buyer was a super nice guy too & loves the car. Highly recommend BaT as a way to sell your car. Keep in mind they don't accept every submission though.
Old 06-08-2019, 07:57 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Big Swole
LOL. Actually one of my comments that I typed and hit send never made it. That one guy cleared it up that he was not referring to me and his reply.
My username on BAT is Picture_this
I posted question to owner if 308 Ferrari paint was original----> 99% of 308's of that generation were painted with Laquer and are subject to Laquer-checking especially in the hot California sun.
My 1979 308GTSI that I owned back in 2010 from Beverly Hills had a repaint prior to my purchase. It was a superb AAAA++++ job.
Owner answered that paint is original. I assume because it never really got into the sun?

Another oddity on these 308's is that many many are missing their original antenna **** - The original antenna **** has a round/flat black ****. mine as well as many others I have seen have a stainless teardrop look ****.
Maybe there weren't many radios/antenna's installed in Europe prior to shipping?
The 308 on auction has it's original style ****

BTW, if you ever need a replacement sunroof switch for a 356 sunroof, a 1962 Cadillac door window switch is almost an exact replacement
Old 06-08-2019, 08:00 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bash Hat
Yes. Sold my 996 a couple months ago. Got quite a bit more for my car than I thought I would. Buyer was a super nice guy too & loves the car. Highly recommend BaT as a way to sell your car. Keep in mind they don't accept every submission though.
Guy who bought my 2003 996C4S on BAT lives in Hawaii and keeps in touch
Old 06-08-2019, 08:22 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

Successful sellers respond daily to questions and emails, provide 100-200 good photos, paint meter readings for a special car helps, a DME for a modern Porsche, receipts, photos of accident damage or good details of accident or paint work. If your car has an IMS, mention which one, whether replaced and with what, or why shouldn't be replaced.
Old 06-09-2019, 02:36 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Successful sellers respond daily to questions and emails, provide 100-200 good photos, paint meter readings for a special car helps, a DME for a modern Porsche, receipts, photos of accident damage or good details of accident or paint work. If your car has an IMS, mention which one, whether replaced and with what, or why shouldn't be replaced.

This is what I don't get about the incredibly arduous process with BAT. It's all documentation, photos and subjective opinions about the car by the owner including paint meter readings????? To me, that's worth next to nothing save for any and all maint. and repair records in print. I have nothing to hide but would feel much more comfortable having a reputable third party taking all the pictures, paint meter readings and stating their general opinion of the condition of the car and so forth. In other words, what's wrong with leaving the opinion along with a massive amount of pictures if that's really deemed necessary to a third party PPI inspection which has been the standard for how many years?

Seems to me the only difference between BAT and all the rest is the amount of information and photos they require from the seller. What's wrong with the old way? Allow the buyer and the seller to connect via phone, email or both and let them work out the conditions? Just me but if I was the buyer I would much prefer to pick who takes those 200 pictures and who evaluates the condition of the car than taking the word and opinion of the seller. Almost feels like BAT with their excessive demands from sellers is trying to maybe not eliminate but minimize the importance of a full and no nonsense PPI the way it's always been done. I repeat myself but I bet buyers of cars at the price points we're discussing here won't substitute the seller's own opinions, no matter how lengthy of the car he's selling even with 300 pictures over a reputable PPI.
Old 06-09-2019, 03:04 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

The reason for all the pictures is it creates a bigger desire to buy the car. The potential buyer has to spend a lot more time looking at the pictures and reading about it. It helps to create a connection and start them thinking seriously about it. They can do that over and over. You don't get that from 5 or 6 pictures and a brief description or an email. Check Vanguard Motors out (https://www.vanguardmotorsales.com/) They are one of the most successful dealers of classic cars and street rods.

Quick Reply: Anybody ever sale on BaT???