Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019 | 10:05 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by chsu74
Disagree. The Gullwing 300SL is by far one of the best classics.
For all their history, you can name only one model? From way back? Nothing new?
Old 06-13-2019 | 02:07 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by chsu74
Disagree. The Gullwing 300SL is by far one of the best classics.
The 300SL Gullwing became a sought after classic but it is actually a pretty bad driving car. There are better SLs (for drivers).
Old 07-05-2019 | 12:13 AM
thesaintusa
Rennlist Member

Had a 2015 C63 607. Sounded AMAZING, tons of torque a blast to drive.

Have a E63S. Sounds AMAZING, tons of torque and a blast to drive.

My 991.2 C2 GTS is a BLAST to drive. A better ride than the Mercedes E63s.

But my wife prefers the sound of the Mercedes.

My best friend has a MB GT Carbriolet. I perfer the hard top version. The GT interior is very nice, but nothing better than the the Porsche. The GT has a similar amount of low end torque, a great cruiser, and sounds better. That being said, I prefer my Porsche to the GT. The GT hard top however is an amazing looking vehicle

Cannot go wrong with either vehicle, but get what you will enjoy driving.
Old 10-09-2019 | 06:49 PM
Uda880
Instructor

Thought it was pertinent to update this thread. I ended up selling the 997.2 C4S to Steve @ RRS, and got myself a... 991.1 GT3. Staying in the family, gents!
The following users liked this post:
linderpat (10-10-2019)
Old 10-09-2019 | 07:02 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Uda880
Thought it was pertinent to update this thread. I ended up selling the 997.2 C4S to Steve @ RRS, and got myself a... 991.1 GT3. Staying in the family, gents!
Good for you, the 991 GT3 as nothing to envy about the Mercedes, that's for sure.
Old 10-09-2019 | 07:40 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Well, there you go. Went the opposite direction, but can't fault it. My opinion on the original topic is similar to every one elses. the 997 and GT-S are completely different cars, maybe a 991 turbo is a better comparison, but even at that, the 911 is a lot lighter.

My family owns a few car dealers (P-car not being one of them). We use to own a Merc dealer. The odd thing is, that when they owned the dealer, the owners never drove them because the profit was too high to justify taking them off the lot. When they sold the dealership, there was an agreement that the partners could get a car every year for a certain number of years. Of course all the partners ended up getting AMG cars (got cars at wholesale, not MSRP). After a year, many times the cars were sold to a different family member, another partner, or partners family, etc....In other words, we had a LOT of AMG cars kicking around for about a decade. That being said, the AMG interior is pretty nice, a lot of things make the car feel refined. The bigger problem was the mechanical issues we had with them. Even with low miles, but especially as they got above 50k. My favorite was in my dads SL55, he lost his brakes, NOTHING!!! Ever been in a 500hp car that weighs 4000lbs and have no brakes? Any way, after seeing all the issues they had compared to other cars the family drove (based on the dealers we have), Merc true quality doesn't come close to Honda, Acura or even infiniti. Now, what I am referring to "quality", I am referring to mechanical reliability and not the finely stitched dash, but the fancy stuff is only skin deep and doesn't do anything if it leaves you stranded (Merc is also considerably behind in the infotainment department). I have a saying, if someone where to give you 1 million dollars and you were given a 1990 Honda civic DX with 100,000 miles or a brand new S550 and the car that made it from San Diego to NYC, without one single breakdown, which car would you? take? Lets just say that the obvious answer for me is NOT the Merc.

Resale value is another issue. Out of all the cars my dad had, he kept the SL55. The sad thing is, have you ever seen the price for a mid 2000s AMG SL car? The value dropped like a rock. A couple years ago my dad drove my brothers 991,1 C2S and fell in love with how it drove and began the search for one. He didn't even bother selling or trading in his SL, he just couldn't stomach buying a car for $125k and selling it for under $30k and it only has less that 15,000 miles on the thing. So it just sits in his garage and is never driven. Its actually not a bad looking car, but unlike the 911, the styles change so fast that it makes the previous generation far less desirable. Because the GTS is a current body type, its hard to image that happening, but the same probably could have been said for any of the expensive AMG cars, at the time they were made.

But to me, the GT-S and the 911 are totally different cars, and the 997 even more so. My brother just bought a new 2019 911 GTS and didn't even think about a Merc GTS, because they really don't compete against each other accept in price or country of origin.
Old 10-09-2019 | 07:46 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

I sold my 997.2 C2S cab and am saving my money for a 991.2 C2S cab.

Quick Reply: Is it time to move on?