Sponsored by:

Is it time to move on?

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 12:54 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Is it time to move on?

Potential to be a short lived adventure in 911-land. Came into the Porsche brand through a 981 Cayman S, bought the wife a Macan Turbo (which she didn't like, so we went back to a Mercedes C450 - a surprisingly quick and enjoyable vehicle for daily driving), bought myself a 997.2 C4S that the PO lovingly modded with some tasteful items. Especially after my wife bought the Macan and then the C450, I realized I really enjoyed the new interiors and the tech of modern Mercs. I've been test driving different cars for the last four months, but nothing has pushed me past the point of wanting to sell the 911... Until I test drove the AMG GTS. Been curious about it ever since it was released, and unlike many members in the GT3 and 991 forums, I actually really do enjoy the aggressive front end. As I sat in the beautiful interior, and turned on that growling V8, driving down the road feeling the torque and the noise emanating through the cabin, I realized that this may be the one to push me towards Mercedes, and AMG.

But what about the Porsche alternatives? I've looked at the 991 offerings. But with the way that the cars depreciated, for the price (high 70s, low - mid 80s), you can't touch the speed, sound, or looks of the AMG GTS, as even a considerable GTS is in the upper 80s. Besides, the spousal acceptance factor is lower for another 911, as she just thinks I should keep the 997 if that's the case. It's been reliable, the speed is relatively the same, and while outdated, has been a very faithful companion.

What are your opinions, Rennlisters? Is it a worthy upgrade?
Old 06-06-2019, 01:31 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

I haven't driven one, but I've always found the styling to be odd and the proportions awkward.

My wife drives a 2015 Mercedes E550 Cabriolet and had a 2011 E550 Cab before that. The quality is sub standard, compared to my 997.2. The 2011 had electrical issues the dealer couldn't fix, had trim parts that delaminated and various other maladies that I wouldn't find acceptable on a Chevrolet. Her current car has been better, but even being a heavily-optioned version with the bigger engine, it still has too much cheap plastic and substandard leather surfaces and electrical gremlins are starting to appear.

We also looked at the GLS when we replaced our old SUV and I was unimpressed with the build quality.

I don't think Mercedes is the bullet-proof brand it used to be. Consumer surveys seem to be backing that up.
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (07-05-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 02:00 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

I like the look of the AMG GTS. That said, I’m a cabriolet guy. I go though this every so often; and I consider a brand other than Porsche. I always end up deciding that Porsche is the best car and brand for my needs. I’m tempted by a Ferrari California T or Portofino every now and again. I just don’t think it fits my definition of a sports car better than the Porsche. I drove a McLaren 570 S Snyder last fall. It was nice, and it was exotic. However, it wasn’t right for me. It was too obnoxious, and too cramped. I think I’ll stick with Porsche.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:09 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses so far. To give a bit more context, I've worked myself through performance versions of Lexus and BMW before as well, and that both sides of the family have a total of 9 Mercedes, anything ranging from a C250 to a GLS, and we've had nothing but reliability and great running experiences with the brand. I haven't been as enamored with Porsche as I thought I was, as when I moved from the Cayman to the 911, I realized that if I wanted a true sports car, I preferred the feel of a mid-engine configuration, and if I'm going to be using a "sports car" as a daily driver (as I have been using every one of my cars so far), that I'm better suited with a loud, grand tourer that has sporting ambitions. While the looks of the 911 is a classic silhouette, the rounded flowing lines are simply not aggressive enough for me.

Such a dilemma.
Old 06-06-2019, 02:21 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,243 Likes on 780 Posts

Aston Martin has some nice looking choices too.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:03 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
Potential to be a short lived adventure in 911-land. Came into the Porsche brand through a 981 Cayman S, bought the wife a Macan Turbo (which she didn't like, so we went back to a Mercedes C450 - a surprisingly quick and enjoyable vehicle for daily driving), bought myself a 997.2 C4S that the PO lovingly modded with some tasteful items. Especially after my wife bought the Macan and then the C450, I realized I really enjoyed the new interiors and the tech of modern Mercs. I've been test driving different cars for the last four months, but nothing has pushed me past the point of wanting to sell the 911... Until I test drove the AMG GTS. Been curious about it ever since it was released, and unlike many members in the GT3 and 991 forums, I actually really do enjoy the aggressive front end. As I sat in the beautiful interior, and turned on that growling V8, driving down the road feeling the torque and the noise emanating through the cabin, I realized that this may be the one to push me towards Mercedes, and AMG.

But what about the Porsche alternatives? I've looked at the 991 offerings. But with the way that the cars depreciated, for the price (high 70s, low - mid 80s), you can't touch the speed, sound, or looks of the AMG GTS, as even a considerable GTS is in the upper 80s. Besides, the spousal acceptance factor is lower for another 911, as she just thinks I should keep the 997 if that's the case. It's been reliable, the speed is relatively the same, and while outdated, has been a very faithful companion.

What are your opinions, Rennlisters? Is it a worthy upgrade?

I like Mercedes but not for the reasons you mention. We have had several. I like them for their German driving dynamics of conventional sedans and SUVs, and their understated good taste, and could care less for 'tech' or any other gizmos.

Regarding 911s... I care even less for gizmos and options. I prefer older 911s (997, 996, G-series, longhood) to the new ones (991, 992). I like to drive!
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (10-10-2019)
Old 06-06-2019, 03:23 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

You make the 997 sound like an old dog, "faithful companion" "outdated" are not terms that most of us would apply to our vehicles.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:52 PM
Uda880
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by voiceprint1
You make the 997 sound like an old dog, "faithful companion" "outdated" are not terms that most of us would apply to our vehicles.
Oddly enough, that's not an inaccurate description. It's a highly mechanical and involved vehicle, but time is time, and it is old (10 years). But I would never consider that my 997 would leave me stranded, and it's a fairly retro driving experience considering how far vehicle tech has come in the last decade.
Old 06-06-2019, 03:57 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

I like the look of the GTS but I'm a hardcore mans trans guy.
This requirement excludes mercs completely from my scope.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

You're definitely an automatic Mercedes guy sell all your Porsches
Old 06-06-2019, 04:08 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Uda880
Oddly enough, that's not an inaccurate description. It's a highly mechanical and involved vehicle, but time is time, and it is old (10 years). But I would never consider that my 997 would leave me stranded, and it's a fairly retro driving experience considering how far vehicle tech has come in the last decade.
Yeah, there isn't much in common with a 997 GTS and a Merc AMG GT-S, aside from the fact that both can be bought used for around $80k.

I haven't driven the AMG, but I know car reviewers nearly universally LOVE it, and it is a hell of a lot of car for that kind of money. Powerful, precise, but a bit heavy.

The first time I saw one, parked in a stunning metallic green outside of a high-end shopping mall, my jaw almost hit the floor. I am a die-hard Porsche-phile, but the AMG looked like a $300k car in comparison. The internal build quality might not be there, but the car is seriously stunning. The 911 is classic but can look a bit fudgy and conservative to some.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:42 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I stood next to that AMG and took a gander when buying my 997S from a Mercedes dealer. I had absolutely no interest in the AMG though. Seemed like a cool car for a hot woman to drive, but not for me.
Old 06-06-2019, 04:53 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,249 Likes on 1,253 Posts

I am of the camp liking the AMG GTS. Porsche coulda shoulda woulda had they kept the 928 in the line up. Anyway, water under the bridge.

Another alternative is to look at the Audi R8 (10 cylinder). It is mid-engine and quite different from either the merc or the 911, but a very good German platform.

Last edited by linderpat; 06-07-2019 at 12:24 AM.
Old 06-06-2019, 07:33 PM
SpeedyD
Burning Brakes

Received 165 Likes on 112 Posts

Modern Mercedes “sports cars” are boring. Only Mercedes that I consider for myself is the S class and only because of its safety features and roominess for long family trips. Have not yet been able to justify it though.

For most of the rest of the lineup, mostly looks like faux lux that I see around me everywhere and with mediocre quality (below their flagships at least).
Old 06-06-2019, 08:30 PM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The interiors on those AMG's are insane, leather, carbon fiber, and high tech everywhere. If you're looking for a GT it's hard to beat that. Of course with any AMG it's going to have gobs of HP and insane torque. But as some have mentioned, it just looks odd looking. That long hood might work on a classic Jag but just seems off on that car. Regardless good luck with whatever you choose!

Quick Reply: Is it time to move on?