Sponsored by:

997.2 C4S rear decklid reflector

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 02:45 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 997.2 C4S rear decklid reflector

My C4S rear decklid reflector has a leak allowing water to get between the layers. Common problem I understand. However, I haven't been able to find a good diy on how to resolve the issue. It is straightforward to remove, and there is a little rubber gasket over the top which can be carefully removed. But below that things get tricky. Now that it is warm and dry, I've just about cleared the last of the water out, but I'd prefer to disassemble, clean and reseal and it seems like the whole thing is just going to break. Also, I'm not interested in doing a vinyl wrap (found that solution using search), or ducktail, or C2 decklid. I like the reflector.

I looked up the new replacement part and it is shockingly, ridiculously, absurdly expensive. This part costs more than half of the entire C4/S/GTS decklid w/ reflector.

Any tricks to disassemble? Any other approach I should be thinking about?
Old 06-05-2019, 12:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,603 Likes on 4,198 Posts

How about a clear vinyl wrap all the way around, like clear-bra? Keeps the reflector look, but seals it up.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:51 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

I would definitely consider that once I've got the last of the water out. I still have a little bit of water trapped inside. I also plan to use a fine bead of clear silicon to seal the reflector back up once it is totally water free, before I reinstall the top rubber gasket. Once I was working with it, I could see 2 spots where the glue failed towards the outer ends and where the gasket material was also not totally bonded. The cause of the failure was pretty obvious.

I've tried leaving it out in sunlight(meh) and shaking it (worked best for most of the water). I've thought about using a blow drier on the outside. I think I can drive a slight air current through the reflector with the small unintended openings at each end.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:07 PM
boris_gti
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey guys,
Here is my opinion from an automotive engineer stand point, that designs plastic welding equipment for OEM and Tier 1 suppliers.

Looking at this reflector, I am almost 100% certain that this part is welded (lens to the housing) using a vibration welding method. At least it would be on all North American vehicles. They are never glued like headlights for example. Every time one of my cars would develop a moisture inside the lens, it would be time to get a replacement.

I would not suggest trying to pry the lens off the housing for any reason.

I am not sure how to remedy this problem, because every time we weld a tail light assembly and there is a leak present, part is considered scrap. There is no way of repairing a leaky lens assembly and expecting it to pass a 3-5 psi pressure test that OEMs require.

I would suggest removing the reflector strip and drilling a small hole (or two) on the back side of the housing in order to "vent" the lens and get rid of the moisture. Then, depending on where the true leak is, try to use some clear silicone type sealant and seal the leak as well as the "vent" holes you drilled. Chances are, the reflector will need to be off the car for at least a day. DO NOT TRY AND USE COMPRESSED AIR TO CLEAR THE MOISTURE FROM INSIDE OF THE LENS. Lens will explode on you.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your situation.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:22 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Plastic welding makes sense based on what I saw with it off the car. I haven't considered that joining technique. It is easy to remove from the decklid and I'll take another look to see if there is someplace where it could be drilled from the back without being too noticeable.

I would just replace it, but this piece of plastic is north of $1k. Which makes it a candidate for this thread.
Old 06-05-2019, 06:51 PM
shyamvenky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
How about a clear vinyl wrap all the way around, like clear-bra? Keeps the reflector look, but seals it up.
I second this approach. This is what I did when I had a crack in the tail light lens. I first ran a hair drier for a couple of minutes to drive out any moisture.
The I stuck the broken piece with super-glue (clear) and finally sealed it with silicone sealant.
On top of this, I wrapped the lens in clear vinyl. It's been a month or so and it's holding up well so far.
The rainy winter here will be a harder test on the wrap and seal.

If the bar is plastic-welded, then you run the risk of breaking it if you try to pry it. If it's a stupidly expensive part, then just wrap it in vinyl.
Much less work, much less risk.
Old 06-11-2019, 05:48 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

i have one of these c4s rear decklids sitting in my basement that i havent listed for sale.

with that said, the reflector is a separate physical piece, in which it is connected to the decklid via 7-8 rivets i believe. to remove the decklid the rivets must be squeezed and the reflector pops out and can be swapped out with a brand new reflector.
Old 07-05-2019, 10:31 AM
GreggT
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a third idea...........I never liked the strip.........when car was brand new (09) I had it painted over.....along with a number of other changes.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:46 AM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by shyamvenky
I second this approach. This is what I did when I had a crack in the tail light lens. I first ran a hair drier for a couple of minutes to drive out any moisture.
The I stuck the broken piece with super-glue (clear) and finally sealed it with silicone sealant.
On top of this, I wrapped the lens in clear vinyl. It's been a month or so and it's holding up well so far.
The rainy winter here will be a harder test on the wrap and seal.

If the bar is plastic-welded, then you run the risk of breaking it if you try to pry it. If it's a stupidly expensive part, then just wrap it in vinyl.
Much less work, much less risk.
I was able to get it toally dried out and sealed with clear silicone, which should work for a while. Clear wrap is on my to do list before winter also
Old 07-09-2019, 09:12 PM
vhorister
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

My C4S rear decklid reflector has a leak allowing water to get between the layers. Common problem I understand. However, I haven't been able to find a good diy on how to resolve the issue. It is straightforward to remove, and there is a little rubber gasket over the top which can be carefully removed. But below that things get tricky. Now that it is warm and dry, I've just about cleared the last of the water out, but I'd prefer to disassemble, clean and reseal and it seems like the whole thing is just going to break. Also, I'm not interested in doing a vinyl wrap (found that solution using search), or ducktail, or C2 decklid. I like the reflector.

I looked up the new replacement part and it is shockingly, ridiculously, absurdly expensive. This part costs more than half of the entire C4/S/GTS decklid w/ reflector.

Hello,
May i ask how did you remove the reflector light.
after unscrewing the end torx screws there are 4 more rivets holding it.
Im having a hard time figuring out these rivets.
Thanks.
Old 07-09-2019, 09:37 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

There are a series of little plastic clips that line up with holes in the underside of the deck lid, and a strip of VHB double sided tape in the middle at the bottom of the reflector.

To release the clips, I found sticking one of those screwdrivers that takes hex bits (with no bit) over the clip released it. Just slide it over the clip and push and the clip will pop out. Alternately, with some light, you can use some fine needle-nose pliers. Lift the reflector lightly as you work toward the middle, and you'll have the clips.

Then there is the VHB double stick tape. Not really a good solution other than to pull up carefully from one side. There is also a centering pin in the middle of the reflector, but it has no retainer, so provides no resistance once the tape is released.

As mentioned, this reflector is delicate and expensive. Take it easy.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:10 PM
Mr. Clean
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is not on topic...I just have to comment how great your car looks from the rear
Old 11-02-2019, 07:43 PM
Kipp
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default #metoo

😁
Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

I have the same problem! Did you work out a solution? I'm planning to wrap it in clear 3M paint protection film or something similar.
Old 11-03-2019, 01:24 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Originally Posted by Kipp

😁

I have the same problem! Did you work out a solution? I'm planning to wrap it in clear 3M paint protection film or something similar.
I haven't done it, but yes, that's the direction I'm going to go. It was very dry here this summer and it had't popped back up so I've focused on other stuff. However, the problem is much worse in winter with snow and slush on the roads, so I need to get on it.

You might look at Xpel. It seems their adhesive is a bit gentler on the plastic lens materials when/if a refresh is needed.
Old 01-21-2020, 12:16 AM
zolo47
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My reflector is bowed out in the center as if it’s too long. The two ends are tight against the deck lid but I am able to push the center in approximately a quarter inch before it touches the deck lid. Is there a way to pull the center of the reflector in against the deck lid and tighten it?

Quick Reply: 997.2 C4S rear decklid reflector