Sponsored by:

What might be the worst gouge in all of Porschedom

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 01:23 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Default What might be the worst gouge in all of Porschedom

I was looking for a magnetic drain plug for my car earlier today (still haven't found a good one (metal is too soft)) and noticed what might be the worst gouge % wise in all of Porschedom.

For only $12.77 you can get a PDF featuring your car's options - https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...OWSTICKER.html

For only $10.00 you can get the VIN decoding service - https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/VIN.html

The more you buy the more you save!!

I always wondered what happened to this guy... now we know.

Old 06-02-2019, 01:58 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 183 Posts

That's pretty bad. I wonder how many they've sold?
Old 06-02-2019, 02:58 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

28% markup is far from the worst a$$-raping I’ve seen people try to give on Porsche parts or service.

Have you seen what some people are paying for oil changes at their local dealers?
Old 06-02-2019, 03:08 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Iceter
28% markup is far from the worst a$$-raping I’ve seen people try to give on Porsche parts or service.

Have you seen what some people are paying for oil changes at their local dealers?
Both of those items are free.

https://vinanalytics.com/

The other one I can't recall right now - but it's out there and free.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:24 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Ah, I thought you were comparing the one to the other...like the premium for the VIN decoding with the printout was $2.77.

Well, one of the local P-car dealers here wanted to charge an arm and a leg for wheel balancing. I asked if it was road force balancing at that price. The service writer said “It’s spin balancing” in a tone that made it sound like that was better and worth the added cost.

“So, it’s just regular balancing, like I would get at Discount Tire?” I asked.

”Yes”, he said—after a pause and obviously deflated.

“I’ll pass”.
Old 06-02-2019, 05:38 PM
318touring
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Not just Porsche.

Recently had to replace two front run-flats for the missus' BMW.

For the exact same tyre and wheel alignment, tyre shop: $520, BMW dealer: $870. All are in New Zealand $ which buys US$0.60 for NZ$1.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:23 PM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 318touring
Not just Porsche.

For the exact same tyre and wheel alignment, tyre shop: $520, BMW dealer: $870. All are in New Zealand $ which buys US$0.60 for NZ$1.
The dreaded run flats. I swapped them out for regular tires on my BMW, best thing I ever did. Way cheaper, much less harsher ride. I had a friend who was driving across a remote part of the state. Ran over something and the run flat tire couldn't be fixed, had to be replaced. The only tire shop in town had to special order the tire. He had to get a hotel for 2 days and wait around for his tire to arrive, ugh.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:37 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

997.1 muffler delete pipes for $495. They are little more than 2" straight pipes bent 90 degrees, can't be more than two feet long. Won't name the vendor, but come on! Example picture below:

Old 06-02-2019, 07:49 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 352 Likes on 233 Posts

I'll just drop this here then.....

http://www.stuttgartstudios.com
Old 06-02-2019, 08:39 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Well I have to say I'm surprised no-one has just printed the OEM options list - the option to have your key painted the same color as the car - $570, I note on the 992 for a 'Rev counter in White' Porsche charge you $480!
Old 06-02-2019, 08:40 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Not just Porsche.

Saab dealers in the US were especially bad in the 90s.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:44 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 150 Posts

Not just Porsche.

LOL reminds me of my buddy who had to have the windscreen replaced on his Mercedes - dealer quoted him some horrendous amount, he said 'don't worry I'll take it to Autoglass, they are way cheaper...' they gave some big spiel about bonding the screen to the car contributes to structural safety yada yada yada.... He eventually relents.
Later the same day one of hi sales guys comes in and says - 'You're getting a new windshield for the car - What happened??'
Reply - 'I never knew you drove a Mercedes??'
'I don't - my car's in at Autoglass and I saw yours there.............'

He had fun when he picked up his Mercedes from the dealer later that day!!
Old 06-02-2019, 09:49 PM
Ohio Performance
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 193 Likes on 78 Posts

This is exactly why we started doing this as a hobby. Started with the BMW tax and valve adjustments costs on parts, DME tuning, and then snowballed from there. I’m all
for making a buck but blatant bs costs. Nope. Not having it.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:34 PM
dynemd
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

In reference to your magnetic drain plug quest, I just purchased one of these off ebay for $23. Claimed to be much stronger than aluminum. Looks like a quality product. Have not placed in my oil drain hole yet. 10mm hex key instead of smaller stock one.
Ebay Link

Exceptionally STRONG custom “STRIP RESISTANT” “forged” steel magnetic oil drain plug.

HAVING A MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG TO CATCH IRON AND STEEL PARTICLES IS ONE OF THE BEAT WAYS TO DETECT A FAILING (IMS) OR “IMMEDIATE SHAFT BEARING” IN SOME OF THESE Porsche model’s engines.

Three times as strong as the standard OEM 6061 machined aluminum plug with the small 8mm socket head that is easily stripped out.

I sourced the highest quality “forged steel” Japanese made plug with a much larger strip resisting 10mm hex socket with hardened “rolled” instead of die cut threads.

Hot “die forging” and rolling of the threads work hardens the entire plug to give both the threads and the hex socket exceptional strength.

Soft 6061 aluminum is NOT the ideal material to use for the oil drain plug. Dissimilar materials allows easy “no galling” run down and tightening of the oil drain plug in the cast aluminum drain hole.

The center of the plug is not just drilled or bored. It is milled with a FLAT BOTTOM hole to accept the FLAT END of a 15 pound pull N45 high grade neodymium rare earth magnet. A high temperature and slow curing high strength epoxy is used to lock the magnet permanently into the drain plug.

After ALL of that preparation, the magnetic drain plugs are “oven baked” to make sure that the epoxy cures fully to its ultimate strength.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:58 AM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 320 Likes on 183 Posts

When I took my car in for 40,000 mile service I mentioned there was a rattle coming from the console and asked if they could figure out where it was coming from. They correctly diagnosed it coming from the cab top switch. They quoted $270 to replace it. I declined. I purchased a new one online for $45 and it took me about 20 seconds to replace it. At least they figured out where the rattle was coming from but a $225 markup on a $45 part is robbery.

Quick Reply: What might be the worst gouge in all of Porschedom