Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An embarrasing confession. I am not healthy enough to drive a Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019 | 09:48 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by TheBruce
And as for the myth that you need a high carb diet for sports, totally agree, it's nonsense. I run marathons and I've gained far more endurance after removing carbs from my diet. From my limited understanding on how it all works ive trained my body to burn fat more efficiently on long runs. When I first started running I would eat a bunch of carbs before and hit the wall hard when those were burned up.

Get better and thanks for sharing.
Just a little clarification. Your body stores about 1,500 to 2,000 calories in the form of glycogen, which is easily converted into glucose, which, in turn, is the primary fuel that your muscles require. Ostensibly, the source of glucose is some form of carbohydrate (this doesn’t mean proteins are unimportant, there is an old adage that goes, “carbohydrates burn in a protein fire”). So, without eating, you have about 2K worth of calories to burn before you basically run out of fuel. This is why cyclists are constantly eating durng a long race (or even on a long fun ride). The carbohydrates that you consume during exercise are more easily turned into glucose than what you have stoed as fat. Which leads to the myth of burning fat for energy when you exercise. Fats, or more appropriately, lipids, cannot directly be formed into glycogen (the source of glucose). It is an indirect process called glucogenesis and requires both time and energy. And generally glucogenesis is not a constant process. That is, it does not begin until your body runs out of glucose. Most everyone who has exercised stenuously has “hit the wall”, this is what happens when your body runs out of glucose and has to switch to lipid metabolism/glucogenesis. So, it doesn’t matter how efficiently your body undertakes gluconesis, it is not something that you want to rely on for energy. Rather, after working out, your body restores its glycogen stores in muscles and soft tissues. This may be done through food consumption, but if losing weight is your goal, one would limit food intake and lipids will be metabolized to replace the glycogen. Anyway, the take home point is to eat while you are exercising if you think you are going to blow past the glucose/glycogen reserves in your body. When I taught, someone would always bring this topic up. I did a far better job with a whiteboard and an hour to lecture than one paragraph, but I think you get the point.
Old 06-03-2019 | 09:52 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Along with the many possibilities, you may also be having some sort of anxiety issue. That used to happen to me. In fact, I still do have anxiety attacks but they are easily averted, for me, by having a focal point of reference (in many ways like a skater or ballerina has a focal point to avoid getting dizzy during a spin). Best of luck!
Old 06-03-2019 | 09:56 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

TCC1999 - of interest - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2958805/
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:20 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

@MexicoBlueTurboS: I won't opine on your health, but if a car makes you focus on improving it, I think thats a good thing. And seeing a doctor is probably not a bad idea irrespective of the car thing.

That said, you're not alone: I'm 47 yrs old and healthy: 21 BMI, Paleo diet, sub 5 A1C, low HR and BP, yadda yadda. But a hard 2nd gear rip in my lightly tuned 997TT (est 600 crank hp) will occasionally make me dizzy and light-headed. The G forces in the turbo (especially in 2nd and 3rd gear) can be extreme - - way more than typical commercial jetliner G forces. I had a 997 with TPC turbo kit (est 500 crank hp) before the 997TT and it didn't give me the dizziness issues (but it wasn't as fast either...).

The first time it happened to me I was also freaked out. I did some Googling and found similar reports on the Tesla and GTR forums which made me feel better. Spoke to another friend who's an instructor/amateur racer - - he said lots of racers deal with dizziness and motion sickness issues and that he'd seen a physical therapist to train for such issues. He specifically does a lot of neck excercises which are prescribed to fighter pilots and says it's helped.

I've learned to take a few deep breaths and tighten my body core before a hard launch - - it seems to help me. The tunnel vision is eliminated and dizziness is reduced, although I still feel tingles in my lower extremeties (similar to if you hang upside down), but it's generally tolerable.

So get yourself checked out, and take care of your health, and consider doing additional training to master your blue beast.

And if that fails, please call me first when you want to sell your car. 😊
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:38 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Does sport mode unlock additional HP or mainly affect throttle response and shift points and shift speed? A Bugatti averages 0.7 g during 0-120 mph run, so I assume a TTS is below that except instantly at launch. Is max shift rpm and power different in normal mode and sport? I ask because when i toggled between sport or normal in other cars I've owned, they still shifted at redline when i floored the car.
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:40 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

I have the exact same issue. Mine is attributable to low
blood pressure, which is probably a good thing. If I lean over to do something and stand up quickly I have the same dizziness/blackout issues though I have never actually passed out. Two pretty simple solutions to the problem; 1. Don't hammer it from a complete stop, 2. Flex your thighs as you hammer it from a complete stop and you're good to go.
Old 06-03-2019 | 10:46 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Does sport mode unlock additional HP or mainly affect throttle response and shift points and shift speed? A Bugatti averages 0.7 g during 0-120 mph run, so I assume a TTS is below that except instantly at launch. Is max shift rpm and power different in normal mode and sport? I ask because when i toggled between sport or normal in other cars I've owned, they still shifted at redline when i floored the car.
On the turbo sport mode briefly allows more boost, thus more torque (but same HP).

On a stock TTS I would expect the Gs to be 1.0 or greater during launch... heck, my 981CS with PDK launches in S+ at almost 1G according to my vbox graph of a 0-60 run.
Old 06-03-2019 | 11:01 PM
Brainz
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
Not sure on the impact of sport mode on TTS power, but a 2nd gear rip will be more than 1G. A few searches suggests ~1.2Gs in 2nd gear is possible. It wont last long, but its intense - - moreso than 1st gear for some reason. I'm sure average Gs are less than a Bugatti unless the Porsche has been highly modified.

There's been some modified 997TTs that recently were ~205mph+ in the half mile from a standing start. I wont be joining that club, as I cant reliably handle half that level of power....
Old 06-04-2019 | 12:34 AM
Kuhl997.2!
Pro

Doctor doctor it hurts when I do this. Well stop doing that. There is lots to love and enjoy about being a Porsche steward than all out speed bursts. Lots of good health advice and being accountable for what you are eating and daily exercise is excellent for your long term health.
The following users liked this post:
997.one (05-07-2022)
Old 06-04-2019 | 02:55 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I finally has the car of my dreams but would never be able to fully enjoy it. Like an old billionaire that marries the young trophy wife I had let myself get too old and too out of shape to enjoy what I had earned and sacrificed for. The irony of life.

A few days later I tried a 90% rolling acceleration in normal mode - no problem at all. At about this same time, some continued research and some serendipity, I have the cause reasonably narrowed down to my overall fitness coupled with the blood sugar and blood pressure medications I am currently on and working to get off of.
I feel bad for you and I hope you find yourself in better health soon. As for not being able to fully enjoy your dream car, can't you compromise? I have wanted a 911 since early teenage years but I never really felt that it had to be the fastest monster in the model line up. I'm sure it's a personal thing but it never entered my mind that the whole car of my dreams scenario went up in smoke just because I couldn't have the most expensive and fastest car Porsche offered. For me, it's not health related. I just can't afford a TTS and frankly, I don't really like the looks of the latest rendition, nor do I need 2.9 seconds 0-60.

To me, there's a unique feel to a 911 regardless of model year but between 997's and 991's, could you not be happy and still feel like you had fulfilled your dream with something less than a TTS?
Old 06-04-2019 | 10:01 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

This is why I love this forum and the people in it, Thank you all.

Brainz - that's a relief and at the same time a challenge. I want to be able to enjoy the car especially as I get older. The last thing I want to do is hurt other people from careless driving or a medical issue so I am very cautious now and for some time. I also want to be a good steward of the car and to smash it up would be a crime in itself. My best friend was a Marine pilot so I will get with him and start doing as he advises.

As noted earlier I asked Big Swole for some advice because he has a lot of experience in this area - technique, g-data and almost equivalent cars. He was extremely helpful and supportive in helping me get a handle on it.

My goals right now are to get off the BP meds, continue to exercise and lose weight and hopefully have the health and freedom to enjoy the car.

Sandwedge - This car was a stretch for financially. Mainly because I only pay cash for toys. Last year was a good year for my consulting business and I have zero bills. I didn't have to touch my savings or any of my retirement or trading accounts. I wanted the car mainly because of the color and was probably oversold by the photography and imagery of the BAT auction in 2018. I wasn't the only one.

I didn't know nor expect that what on paper seems to be an incremental amount of hp translates to in reality.
Old 06-04-2019 | 12:25 PM
asuresh8
Advanced

Default Good for you

God job taking action to get your health in better shape. My dad was in a similar situation. He was diabetic for years, high BP, couldn't do intensive exercises, and would get sick as well when I drove fast. Then one day, he died of a massive heart attack. He was only 59 and wasn't overweight. My buddy who's a cardiologist also recommended doing a keto diet coupled with exercise to prevent following suit. Also, if you haven't done so already, get your calcium scoring done. It's good to know where you stand.
Old 06-04-2019 | 12:34 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by asuresh8
God job taking action to get your health in better shape. My dad was in a similar situation. He was diabetic for years, high BP, couldn't do intensive exercises, and would get sick as well when I drove fast. Then one day, he died of a massive heart attack. He was only 59 and wasn't overweight. My buddy who's a cardiologist also recommended doing a keto diet coupled with exercise to prevent following suit. Also, if you haven't done so already, get your calcium scoring done. It's good to know where you stand.

Some mild calcium noted in last scans. Nothing alarming. Sorry about your father. Mine passed at 86 - a year ago today. Not a day goes by....
Old 06-04-2019 | 06:13 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Thanks for sharing. Have been on a more strict version of Paleo for health issues for the past 3 years. It has really helped me.
Old 06-05-2019 | 01:36 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Find the video of Jim Cantore from The Weather Channel flying with the Blue Angels one day and watch what he's doing before a high-G event that the pilot is telling him is coming, Then research this technique on how to prepare your body for such an event and try that before your next launch. Getting in better health is for sure a good thing, but as noted by the posts here, there are also techniques that can help control the blood flow and biological effects of high g-forces to prevent the light-headedness you're experiencing in the turbo (sharp exhalation, tightening of the core and thighs, etc).

Good luck.

Quick Reply: An embarrasing confession. I am not healthy enough to drive a Porsche