Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do the top 2 sticky threads hurt 997 values?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2019, 02:35 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts
Default Do the top 2 sticky threads hurt 997 values?

If so, fairly or unfairly ?

Would a simple and brief FAQ serve this purpose better by cutting out all of the incorrect information yet informing people accurately (as best as possible) about any issues with the 997.1 and .2?
Old 06-01-2019, 02:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

The headlines of these sticky threads don't show any 'incorrect information', they are simply polls about known failures of the 997.

The truth isn't always pretty, but at least it's always the truth
Old 06-01-2019, 03:01 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

I think they will have some impact on those who read this forum, especially when the reader does not understand statistics.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I have no idea if it hurts values, but those 2 stickies and the one thread where it talks about 3.8L 997.2 engine failure is depressing to see up top all the time.
Old 06-01-2019, 03:48 PM
ogun228
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

The assumption is that this forum is read by the majority of 997 owners.
That is a wild assumption...
For a couple of days, I thought all was well on the 997 bashing as the
topics ranged from" tag plate frames" to " what color should I paint my wheels"
to "apple car play" to "locking just the trunk"...
Oh! someone revived the " Jack Raby bore scoring video"...

On second thought, all is well, the same fear mongering goes on...
Old 06-01-2019, 03:54 PM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Burning Brakes

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

My point is that we can do better.

Write an FAQ - keep it honest and factual - and petition to have the stickies replaced.
Old 06-01-2019, 04:47 PM
ilovemaui
Burning Brakes

Received 319 Likes on 182 Posts

Having owned many vehicles in my life and generally followed specialized forums related to those cars I would say this forum, in the 997 section, seems to be less negative than most. In other forums I have been member to, the posters are like vultures circling a dead carcass every time a vehicle is listed for sale. The poor cars and their respective owners are pecked and shreaded to the bone. The seller ends up crawling off in shame for suggesting anyone would even consider purchasing his vehicle. I have not witnessed that here, which is a very good thing, but maybe I haven't looked close enough or I am still basking in the honeymoon of owning a 911, a car I had admired as long as I can remember.

The two stickys, I guess, are reminders that no piece of machinery is immuned to failure. I think in light of the infrequency of failure, perhaps they could be relagated to a lower place in the hierarcy.
Old 06-01-2019, 08:13 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by ilovemaui
Having owned many vehicles in my life and generally followed specialized forums related to those cars I would say this forum, in the 997 section, seems to be less negative than most. In other forums I have been member to, the posters are like vultures circling a dead carcass every time a vehicle is listed for sale. The poor cars and their respective owners are pecked and shreaded to the bone. The seller ends up crawling off in shame for suggesting anyone would even consider purchasing his vehicle. I have not witnessed that here, which is a very good thing, but maybe I haven't looked close enough or I am still basking in the honeymoon of owning a 911, a car I had admired as long as I can remember.

The two stickys, I guess, are reminders that no piece of machinery is immuned to failure. I think in light of the infrequency of failure, perhaps they could be relagated to a lower place in the hierarcy.
I agree to your statement that other forums are worse, but I have witnessed reactions that reminds me of such places.

I have a hard time understanding why people react the way they do when you suggest that their vehicle is not as perfect as they wish it was..... Best example is talking about the PDK. I have searched and studied forums over here and europe and it is pretty clear that it is very problematic.

I too would feel foolish for spending a lot more on a 997.2 to avoid an ims problem, only to find out that the vehicle I spent more on has a much bigger problem in the form of PDK that fails 10X more than an ims on 2006-2008. Before you question my figures, just look at the polls and argue with them, not me!!! Of course I would have been mad to discover that fact, but I wouldn't bash and flame people that actually mention this. It's not something made up, it's just information that I used to justify my decision. And I am glad I did.

To be perfectly honest, when I decide it is time for a 991, it will most likely be PDK, unless it is as problematic as in the 997.2 and even then, I will make sure to get a warranty with it.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:14 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

I think the 911 / Porsche owners who are on this forum are a fraction. Doubt it has a measurable effect.
Old 06-02-2019, 12:18 AM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
My point is that we can do better.

Write an FAQ - keep it honest and factual - and petition to have the stickies replaced.
Agreed. I don't see any practical application for these polls or the yes and no stories listed within each thread. The polls are a sample of responders on this site and not nessarily representative of the entire population of 997 cars. So I would be wary of any "statistics" generated from these polls. At best they are just ad hoc cases and redundant at that. No doubt Porsche maintains a data base of mechanical failures as part of their R&D program and their source is not polls, it is from repair data collected from dealerships. A FAQ section on these topics would be more useful than the polls and I would much rather see that folder at the top of the board than these fear magnets.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:07 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by ADias
I think they will have some impact on those who read this forum, especially when the reader does not understand statistics.

Yup. I think this was discussed under a different subject line in a different thread not too long ago. How many 997 owners or prospective 997 buyers read Rennlist threads or even know what Rennlist is? It's all guesswork of course but as I recall it, the consensus guess was probably less than 5%. I agree with that guess so if the consensus guess is in the ballpark, the negative issues discussed here probably has very little if any impact on the overall value of these cars. It's like real estate. The main guideline for pricing is what other buyers have paid for similar products recently. Not an isolated reference to something negative.
The following users liked this post:
fireman (09-08-2022)
Old 06-02-2019, 01:26 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by boxtaboy
I have no idea if it hurts values, but those 2 stickies and the one thread where it talks about 3.8L 997.2 engine failure is depressing to see up top all the time.
Shouldn't be depressing. I have a 997.2 with a 3.8L engine and I'm not depressed at all. Why not? Because I think it's the first ever thread started on the subject. I don't read every thread here and have asked on more than one occasion for a reference to a 997.2 DFI engine failure. So far, no response so even though Rennlist represents a small percentage of 997.2 owners, that's a pretty impressive record in my opinion given that the 3.8L DFI engine has been on the roads for close to 12 years now. Compare that to the record of the 996 and 997.1 engines.
Old 06-02-2019, 01:37 AM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 166 Likes on 112 Posts

I think it's a shame there are enough people who have had these problems, to even be able to support a poll. For what Porsche engines cost, you would expect better.
Old 06-02-2019, 06:15 AM
ogi
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my first post even I have read most of the rennlist forum after one coworker asked me if would like to buy his 997 4s Cabrio. I know him and that gorgeous car for years, car was never driven on rain, never driven during winter, kept in garage covered most of the year because we work on off shore projects (I am his chief engineer ...for years he was talking only about his 4s and recently he decided to move with family to Tenerife due to sports development of his children... I sold my Cayenne turbo 10 years ago so know people in dealership and they confirmed me that man is addicted to his car, completed all maintenance on time including 10 years maintenance even car has 35k miles, oil changed every 3-4k miles, never history of troubles with that car...I was very disappointed to read on Rennlist about IMS, scored cylinders...but once confirmed it is M97 engine and official dealership checked the car and confirmed by engine number it has larger bearing and seller reduced price 4k more due to my IMS worries I have bought it. Now car is in my garage connected to battery maintainer and I am coming home from Australia in 12 days. By the way my wife say that she can,t believe it is 12 years old car) At the end, to answer the question, IMS discussions has reduced value of 997 in my case. My coworker after I gave him to read Rennlist IMS discussions lowered asking price by himself,he genuinely did not know regarding all the issues you are mentioning here. I am really looking forward to drive that car as should be driven and if IMS fail in future and I have to buy new engine I will still have a decent open top with new engine and low mileage chassis for acceptable cost. Cheers
Old 06-02-2019, 09:20 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

Of course it does hurt.... but Rennlist is not the biggest influencer by a long shot. It is simply word of mouth. Period.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Quick Reply: Do the top 2 sticky threads hurt 997 values?