Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Console Cigarette Lighter

Old 05-30-2019, 11:44 AM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Console Cigarette Lighter

Does anyone have a good way to remove the cigarette lighter from its socket. I've got some type of problem with the socket (it's dead, fuse is fine), and I pushed the lighter in to test and see if it was working, and now the lighter won't pop out (because, I'd imagine, the socket is dead.

Any troubleshooting ideas on the socket itself not working also appreciated.

Cheers,
Old 05-30-2019, 11:49 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Just pull it out.
Old 05-30-2019, 11:50 AM
Bradinthe56
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Really

Well, it is flush with the receptacle, not able to grab or get a tool underneath the edge, so I can't just pull it out. Hence the post...
Old 05-30-2019, 12:41 PM
Gmanscott
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 38 Posts

check this out on Pelicanparts... maybe helpful? FYI... pelicanparts.com usually has a lot of DYI / instructional help.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...t-lighter.html
Old 05-30-2019, 12:42 PM
TortugaTortuga
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bradinthe56
Does anyone have a good way to remove the cigarette lighter from its socket. I've got some type of problem with the socket (it's dead, fuse is fine), and I pushed the lighter in to test and see if it was working, and now the lighter won't pop out (because, I'd imagine, the socket is dead.

Any troubleshooting ideas on the socket itself not working also appreciated.

Cheers,
Edit: The link below is to remove socket not the lighter, so disregard. I would think you would just be able to pull out the lighter with some force.

Center console out, disconnect and hammer it out from inside with rubber mallet. Took quite a bit of force for me. Look at page 13 in the link below.

https://www.macarbon.com/install_gui...structions.pdf
Old 05-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

The socket next to the ashtray is a pain to get out and I assume hard to do without removing the middle console.

I removed the middle console in order to sand for painting.
Even with removed console, I had a hard time to learn how to remove the cigarette lighter socket.

After researching a while, I learned to take a rubber mallet and give it a good smack and it came out.
No clips pressing, just a smack.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:16 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

I think the guy is just looking to pull out the lighter itself, not the socket. Why not try to use some chewing gum or something like that to connect to a pen or highlighter and just pull the lighter cap up a bit so that you can then pull it out?
Old 05-30-2019, 02:27 PM
997v2cabrio
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe use a penetrating lubricant.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Drill into it and pull.
Old 05-30-2019, 04:50 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 412 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Bradinthe56
Well, it is flush with the receptacle, not able to grab or get a tool underneath the edge, so I can't just pull it out. Hence the post...
Hmm, sorry, I didnt mean to sound condescending. My car just has the plastic plug--no heating element.

I've never seen a lighter that was perfectly flush when pushed in. That's a dumb design. If it gets stuck and the power is on, it'll overheat and blow a fuse, or worse.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:27 PM
Steph1
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 94 Posts

Well, if the socket is dead and you are not a smoker, therefore don't care about the lighter itself, to pull it out, you could use duct tape and see if it can stick enough to it to pull out, or use a drill with a tinny little mesh... Drill a little hole in the ****'s head, screw a small screw in there and use pliers to pull it out by grabbing the head of the screw. You are never stuck with anything. There's always a solution. Easy, hard and harder are your choices to fix anything.
Old 05-31-2019, 01:34 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

OP: The idea is you want something you can grab onto and pull straight up. Anything you can do to temporarily get some adhesion on the top of the lighter should work. Someone already suggested chewing gum and someone else suggested duct tape. RTV silicone adhesive might work also, as might a small suction cup, extra-strength double-sided tape, one of those sticky no-hole hook/hangers...you get the idea. A dab of hot glue and stick something into it would probably work but might take the painted logo off. Drilling a small hole in the center of the top and threading a self-tapping screw partway in would definitely work, but I would only do this or the hot glue as a last resort if all other attempts at not damaging the lighter fail.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Console Cigarette Lighter