Sponsored by:

IMS BEARING VIDEO | ANT

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2019, 12:43 AM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts
Default IMS BEARING VIDEO | ANT

Interesting view of the dreaded IMS Bearing.

Old 05-31-2019, 03:24 AM
Donny87
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheelers Dealers is one of my favorite car shows. The don’t add needless drama, resist the temptation to spell the title as Wheelerz Dealerz, or make their restorations “bitchin’”. They have a good variety of cars and even when their project car isn’t something I’m interested in, I enjoy seeing the process.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:43 AM
4Driver4
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 279 Posts

Realizing that's it's edited for time, it's still surprising that there is no mention of pinning the cams or taking the tension off the chains.
Old 05-31-2019, 10:42 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Thanx!

Wheeler Dealers... good show.... I miss Ed but this guy is real good too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-31-2019, 11:02 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,420 Likes on 1,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Thanx!

Wheeler Dealers... good show.... I miss Ed but this guy is real good too.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Agreed. I also like Ant. Didn't want to, but I do.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:12 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Probably my favorite car show now that Top Gear/Grand Tour is done.

No fake deadlines or stupid made-up drama. I liked Edd and didnt think Ant would do a good job, but he's turned out to be really good to watch.

BTW, ant has another show on Velocity called "For the Love of Cars" that's pretty good, too. It's an older show but very similar format to Wheeler Dealers. There's more historical background on the cars.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:17 AM
Rogueman1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Sure seems like a ticking timebomb for any 996. (I did manage to have it happen to my old 996 '98 Boxster at 55k miles). Porsche was sure tight-lipped about it... except for that one loose-lipped sales rep. Needless to say, after my lawyer of a wife caught wind of that, Porsche North America was ever so slightly more willing to cover the replacement engine under warranty even though it was 5k miles out at that point.

I wonder what changes exactly Porsche has made to my 2010 C2S in order to prevent this?
Old 05-31-2019, 12:08 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

Originally Posted by Rogueman1
Sure seems like a ticking timebomb for any 996. (I did manage to have it happen to my old 996 '98 Boxster at 55k miles). Porsche was sure tight-lipped about it... except for that one loose-lipped sales rep. Needless to say, after my lawyer of a wife caught wind of that, Porsche North America was ever so slightly more willing to cover the replacement engine under warranty even though it was 5k miles out at that point.

I wonder what changes exactly Porsche has made to my 2010 C2S in order to prevent this?
You need to come up to speed on the whole IMS issue..... just google it and you will get your answer. Good news: in 2009 Porsche came out with a redesigned block called the 9A1 engine. It has no intermediate shaft and no bearing to fail. They also upgraded many of the other failure modes of the M96/M97 engine (model years 1997-2008). BTW, Porsche appears to stagger changes in chassis with changes in engine.... that is why the 997 has two different engine platforms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-31-2019, 01:45 PM
Rogueman1
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
You need to come up to speed on the whole IMS issue..... just google it and you will get your answer. Good news: in 2009 Porsche came out with a redesigned block called the 9A1 engine. It has no intermediate shaft and no bearing to fail. They also upgraded many of the other failure modes of the M96/M97 engine (model years 1997-2008). BTW, Porsche appears to stagger changes in chassis with changes in engine.... that is why the 997 has two different engine platforms.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yeah, I've been out of the game for a while until recently. I've been dabbling on the other side of the German side for some time now. But after 3 M cars, I'm back!
Old 05-31-2019, 01:58 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Probably my favorite car show now that Top Gear/Grand Tour is done.

No fake deadlines or stupid made-up drama. I liked Edd and didnt think Ant would do a good job, but he's turned out to be really good to watch.

BTW, ant has another show on Velocity called "For the Love of Cars" that's pretty good, too. It's an older show but very similar format to Wheeler Dealers. There's more historical background on the cars.
I used to watch For The Love of Cars so I knew Ant would do fine as a replacement for Edd. I think Ant's personality meshes better with Mike also. I think Edd would actually be an excellent fit with Philip Glenister, the other host of For The Love Of Cars.

Quick Reply: IMS BEARING VIDEO | ANT