Sponsored by:

06 C2S Airbags

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2019, 05:14 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 06 C2S Airbags

Good afternoon, everyone - well, it's not been that way for me! lol I was driving along, came to an intersection and sat waiting for a light. The light changed and as I started to accelerate, boom, a loud noise as if I either hit something or had been hit by something - the noise came from my left and behind me. First chance, I pulled over and checked under the car, found no problem. I guessed at a backfire, but, had no idea, really. On my return trip, I started the car and the airbag warning light came on. As the event actually shook my seat, I'm assuming the seat airbag deployed. I don't know how these things work, do they deploy within the seat? I ask because there's no outward evidence of a deployment. And, I assume this is a dealer part only?

How can I be sure about which airbag is the problem?

Can I just turn the warning light off, or, is this a bad idea?

Any and all information appreciated!

Thanks,

John
Old 05-27-2019, 06:03 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Did you check the side of the seat where the plastic cover of the airbag is? Did the seat airbag deploy? I have an arrow pointing to the airbag cover on the side of the passenger seat. There’s one on the other side on the driver’s seat too...

Old 05-27-2019, 06:10 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

That is just one of those things where I would go straight to a dealer and/or indie shop, like immediately. I am just saying.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:26 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Yes, I checked both seats and no evidence of deployment! Again, the noise was loud and abrupt, shook my seat, but, no evidence of deployment!

Is it possible that the propellant let go without filling the bag?

can the computer pinpoint the problem?

Last edited by Dr.J; 05-27-2019 at 08:01 PM.
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

I would pull the codes and yes, they will pinpoint which bag, sensor, or seat is triggering the error light. The seat belts also have pretensioners in them that fire like an airbag. Are any of your seat belts locked in a position that doesn't let you pull them out as this could be another possibility.

Airbag deployment results in a lot of dust - keeps the bag from sticking to itself when collapsed so that you get a smooth and immediate deployment, and the propellant also has a distinctive smell - a bit like gun powder. I think you'd know if either of those things happened.

Have you recency done any work or had any work done that would have had you disconnect one of the yellow connectors (seat swap, door panel removal, steering wheel upgrade, etc)?

Take it to a dealer and let them check it out.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:20 AM
Fahrer
Three Wheelin'

Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

If the airbag deployed it would be outside the seat. Also, I believe they are deployed by an explosive, not compressed gas. As above, my guess would be a seat belt pre-tensioner had fired.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:50 AM
Dr.J
Instructor

No, there was no smell and no dust, just a loud bang and my seat shook - noise from my left and behind me.

If it was the seat belt pretensioner, would it cause the airbag light to turn on?

and, I assume this is a one shot deal, once it fires? How is it repaired?

No, no interior work at all.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:41 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If it was a seat belt pretensioner, the seat belt would not longer retract or extend. If the seat belts operate normally than it's something else.

After they fire they need to be replaced. There are places out there that can rebuild them for less than the cost of a new one. Most places that are able to change the belt to a different color can also service the explosive charge.
Old 05-28-2019, 01:56 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

I just checked and the seatbelts are working fine, so, I don’t know ....
Old 05-28-2019, 02:05 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

PIWIS or Durametric will tell you what module has the airbag error code (door, seat, rear, etc.). Both code readers can also clear the airbag dash light after repairing the problem. Generic code readers will not see the Porsche specific error codes nor will they be able to clear the airbag dash light. So a visit to a nearby friend with PIWIS/Durametric, an independent shop, or a dealer trip is needed.
Old 05-28-2019, 02:20 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Thank you, all & thanks semicycler, I just verified your point as my generic OBDii reader cannot find any codes.

There is an independent shop in a neighbouring city, will give him a call.

Bummer, I just finished all my upgrades, running like a charm ... was too perfect, can’t have that!
Old 05-31-2019, 04:28 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Well, Auguste identified the source of the problem: a driver side airbag sensor - I ordered the part.

Has anyone changed one of these and, if so, how hard is it to do?

Thanks,

John
Old 05-31-2019, 06:50 PM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 747 Likes on 403 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr.J
Well, Auguste identified the source of the problem: a driver side airbag sensor - I ordered the part.

Has anyone changed one of these and, if so, how hard is it to do?

Thanks,

John
Curious how a bad sensor caused what felt like to you a deployment. Glad you found the issue.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:50 PM
Dr.J
Instructor

Yes, this remains a mystery! Perhaps it was a backfire and this problem coincidental. I’ll know more once the sensor is changed and things back to normal. And, thank you!

Quick Reply: 06 C2S Airbags