Sponsored by:

good price?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 05:02 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 100 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
I have not seen the car in person, but it'’s a 2005 6 speed white exterior, black interior.
Do you realize the interior is actually blue and not black? Big difference.
Old 05-26-2019, 02:04 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfeh
So, what is the general consensus on the preferred IMS type? Better to have the small bearing (pre-05) that has a higher failure rate but can be replaced, or the large bearing that fails less often, but if it does means a new engine?
I don't know that there's a general consensus on this. It's been debated forever (and still is) but if I was in the market for an -05 997 I would try to find one with the smaller replaceable IMS. I pulled the VIN # on the car you're looking at and if I'm reading it right it was built in February 2005. Don't take my word for it but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the smaller replaceable bearing. Someone correct me if I'm off on this but I don't think they started to put the larger bearings in the -05's until later that year. As someone else said, at 56K miles the car is probably getting close to needing a clutch anyway so an upgraded IMS bearing wouldn't add much to the cost of that job.
Old 05-26-2019, 04:33 PM
Sporty
Three Wheelin'

Received 470 Likes on 299 Posts

if it all checks out it is a good price. Note that with the smaller bearing ,even though replaceable, it needs to be done every 50K I believe unless you go with the more expensive "solution" or something like that . Also consider the backend, that is, what you could potentially sell it for down the road, after say you put on 25k or whatever well maintained miles.
Old 05-29-2019, 12:32 AM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
I don't know that there's a general consensus on this. It's been debated forever (and still is) but if I was in the market for an -05 997 I would try to find one with the smaller replaceable IMS. I pulled the VIN # on the car you're looking at and if I'm reading it right it was built in February 2005. Don't take my word for it but I'd be surprised if it doesn't have the smaller replaceable bearing. Someone correct me if I'm off on this but I don't think they started to put the larger bearings in the -05's until later that year. As someone else said, at 56K miles the car is probably getting close to needing a clutch anyway so an upgraded IMS bearing wouldn't add much to the cost of that job.
Not necessarily true. The car I'm buying was built in mid-February 2005 and has the larger bearing.

Originally Posted by TheBruce
At 56k miles you are going to need a clutch soon so budget $2500 for the clutch and IMS. If they knock it down by that much it would be a good buy.

What concerns me is the yellowed rock guards. That means the car has sat outside for considerable time so I would check the paint closely. I also question the maintenance history if the prior owner let those go like that on a white car. They are only $100 to change.

And @Petza914 yea I will get some time on that guide this week over the next week.
$2500 for clutch and IMS? That seems like a very optimistic estimate.

Quick Reply: good price?