Sponsored by:

Advice on seats needed: please weigh in

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2019, 03:59 PM
howellm70
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Advice on seats needed: please weigh in

Hey all, I've been trolling for a 997.2 for over 6 months now. I'm picky...perhaps too much so. Nonetheless, I've found a car that meets my needs with the exception of the seats. I've been holding out for the manual or adaptive sport seats but this particular example comes with the power comfort seats. I haven't been able to sit in both to really understand/experience the difference. I know there's more bolster support in the sport seats but am curious to understand if it really makes a difference OR if it's just another way for Porsche to pump pricing.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:24 PM
holgum
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I prefer the look and extra 'cradling' on the sport seats, but my current car came with the regular seats. Everything else was to my liking so I went with it. Now I'm used to it and don't even think about it. I think it mostly depends on your body type. Also if you track regularly (I don't) you might miss the sport seats.

If I were ordering a new car I would probably order the sport seats again. I've had both the 18-way and manual sport seats in the past and wouldn't pay the premium for the 18 way. The manual were good enough for me.
Old 05-22-2019, 07:44 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

The sports seats look nice. I'd like to try one out. I rode shotgun in a 996 GT3 with sport seats and found the bolsters in shoulder area less comfortable for my body. I assume those seats are similar and a little different too. Try before you buy.
Old 05-22-2019, 09:50 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

It depends on how big you are. All Porsche seats are built for skinny people. I am short and wide and find them all pretty uncomfortable.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:05 PM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

I was in a similar situation. I test drove cars with both seat options and was considering 'settling' for a car without sport seats.
But in the end I decided the car wasn't for me, I ended up waiting and finding an even better car not long after!
My personal preference is the sport seats but I'll echo the commenters above that it really depends on you. Try both and see which you like.
Old 05-22-2019, 10:22 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 414 Likes on 244 Posts

Seats are too user-specific for anyone’s advice to be helpful to you. Some people swear by the sport seats. I prefer my power adjustable seats. You won’t know what you like until you try both for yourself.
Old 05-23-2019, 09:55 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,723 Likes on 4,276 Posts

Both my car and my wife's car came with the Power Comfort seats. In my car it was one of the first changes I made and installed the full power adaptive sport seat plus versions. They are the absolute best Porsche seat unless you track and then the folding carbon buckets are better, but they're less adjustable, just more grippy and deeper and have harness belt holes.

I'm 6'1" about 200 lbs and the problem with the comfort seats is that where the backrest comes up near the headrest, the sides of the seat go right inside your shoulder blades. They're OK for a couple hours but on a longer trip than that you can really feel the pressure points there. The sport seats have the shoulder support wings and fit me much better. I liked the ones in my 997 so much, I put a pair of manual ones into my 928 and bought another one and made an office chair out of it, that I sit in for hours at a time.

Don't let the seats stop you from the right car though - just swap them out with another pair. Manual ones are about $1,800-$2,000 a pair, full power ones about $3,500-$4,000 a pair, and you can sell the comfort ones for $800-$1,000 a pair.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:01 AM
MexicoBlueTurboS
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
It depends on how big you are. All Porsche seats are built for skinny people. I am short and wide and find them all pretty uncomfortable.

I'm on the keto diet to

a: fit in the seats better
b: more gracefully enter and exit the car

One thing I really concentrate on is not sliding on the booster when I get in. Takes serious leg strength.

Over 50 and over a certain weight - it's not a pretty sight to see someone get in and out of these cars.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:33 AM
Carerra
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I lost 50 lbs and I fit in the car much better.

Also, I live in the Southeast and the vented seats are awesome in the summer. (I know that is not cool for people who have one just for the track but I drive mine daily)
Old 05-23-2019, 01:18 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Balr14
That’s a really good point. You’d think, considering how many units VWAG/PAG sells in the U.S. that they might consider the generally increasing girth of Americans (no offense to anyone), or at least recognize that we have a different body shape than people in other parts of the world. For a company that is not shy about maximizing profits, particularly through options, you’d think that a “Mega” adaptive seat option would be low hanging fruit; Porsche Exclusive could even offer a custom seat, I suppose.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 PM
howellm70
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Much thanks for all of the advice. Net-net: the seats matter -- part personal preference, part body type, part intended use. I'd really like to try before buying but the ship may sail if I want to get into this particular example so I may proceed and then swap later as I'm able to get a better sense for them and test the other variants.

AND, the desk chair is brilliant! There's a real business idea in that.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:41 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Received 167 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Tcc1999
That’s a really good point. You’d think, considering how many units VWAG/PAG sells in the U.S. that they might consider the generally increasing girth of Americans (no offense to anyone), or at least recognize that we have a different body shape than people in other parts of the world. For a company that is not shy about maximizing profits, particularly through options, you’d think that a “Mega” adaptive seat option would be low hanging fruit; Porsche Exclusive could even offer a custom seat, I suppose.
I am a "fat ***" and willingly admit it. But, I have always been a "wide body" even in my younger days when I played semi-pro football. I have never fit well in a lot of seats (movie theater, airplane, stadium, etc.). So, I am used to not fitting a lot of car seats, although the Porsche seats, as well as my BMW 335i seats are particularly uncomfortable. I'm fine with Corvette, ZL1, BMW M6 seats, though.
Old 05-24-2019, 01:30 AM
ManoTexas
Three Wheelin'

Received 694 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by MexicoBlueTurboS
I'm on the keto diet to

a: fit in the seats better
b: more gracefully enter and exit the car

One thing I really concentrate on is not sliding on the booster when I get in. Takes serious leg strength.

Over 50 and over a certain weight - it's not a pretty sight to see someone get in and out of these cars.

When getting in car put left hand behind you on bolster. When getting in you’ll slide on hand and save bolster wear. Son had friend with turbo take him for ride. Son got in. Guy said damn, you’re the first person to ever get right. Son said Dad required us to do it right.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:01 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,059 Likes on 743 Posts

Highly subjective. To me, the GT2 carbon fiber buckets can be addictive as they are to me. They get a bad rap for being difficult to get in and and out of and being uncomfortable. I disagree on both points. Getting in and and out becomes second nature with some practice and they're actually very comfortable but the amazing connectivity to the car they add can't be overstated and is the reason I would have a hard time going back to anything less.

Old 05-24-2019, 05:15 AM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 209 Likes on 141 Posts

^^^^^definitely going to get a set when I can.

Quick Reply: Advice on seats needed: please weigh in