Sponsored by:

Spilled oil all over engine compartment

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 11:50 PM
kslmd
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spilled oil all over engine compartment

So last week I took my 997.2 C4S to a local shop specializing in Porsche for an oil change. Really nice guy and seems like a very knowledgeable and competent technician. Unfortunately I think I spent too much time engaging him in conversation and he forgot to tighten the oil filter housing after filling the car with oil. He then started the engine and literally four quarts of oil gushed out from the filter housing and all over the engine bay, covering everything. It was a huge mess. I worried initially about whether there was any damage to the engine from running while the oil supply was being rapidly depleted but the car seems to be running fine. My major concern at this point is the fact that to clean the oil from the engine compartment the technician used solvent and sprayed it everywhere. He then steam cleaned the engine and resprayed the solvent a second time. Then to top it off, he used a hose to literally wash out the engine compartment from above and below as there was still oil dripping down from what I assume were crevices he couldn’t reach with the solvent or steam cleaner.

My big concern at this point is whether damage was done to the engine or electrical system that may not surface right away. Again, all seems fine right now and my engine is sparkling clean. But if something fails, ie a sensor or alternator I worry whether he will take responsibility for it. Any advice?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:54 PM
rtl5009
Three Wheelin'

Received 678 Likes on 321 Posts

As long as you didn’t develop a knock all the the oil was on the bottom side. It’s going to be ok.

It either did did damage or didn’t, and you would know immediately.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:59 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

You're fine.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:03 AM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Smokey and stinky for a bit but fine...
Old 05-17-2019, 02:02 AM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was that technician and did what he did to your Porsche I would look into finding a different career. Totally unacceptable.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:24 AM
kslmd
Track Day

Yes I was very angry about it. He felt very badly and didn’t charge me for the oil/filter change. Oh and the engine steam cleaning was thrown in as a bonus Hopefully no damage was done in the process.
Old 05-17-2019, 09:06 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,420 Likes on 862 Posts

Please post in a few weeks on how the engine is running. I want to hose down my engine bay ... so darn filthy.... but I am always afraid to do it. Did they cover up anything when he hosed it?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-17-2019, 11:53 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Man that sucks.

The spilled oil and concern about engine damage isn't really a concern as I'm assuming the car was shut off pretty quickly upon the gusher starting.

Steam cleaning an engine is a terrible thing to do. Sure it makes it look great. but the water molecules in steam are moving so fast they can penetrate electrical connection seals that were made to be water proof, not steam proof. Pressure washing an engine is the next worse thing you can do. Engines should be cleaned using a rag, an aluminum safe cleaner, and elbow grease. A regular hose wash down is OK if need be since that's pretty much what happens to the engine when you drive in a heavy rain, but you should cover the alternator windings if you have the option to. Unfortulately, you may not see the effects of this for a little while, but if you start developing misfires, other odd running behavior, or voltage issues in the next couple weeks to 3 months, you'll know the cause.

Old 05-17-2019, 12:02 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Another fact that you should do it yourself. It is really NOT that difficult. You could reach someone local at first to be your union supervisor.
Old 05-17-2019, 01:16 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,429 Likes on 2,702 Posts

Its a freakin miracle! Is it just me or does it look like his car gave birth??

Last edited by groovzilla; 05-17-2019 at 02:27 PM.
The following users liked this post:
MexicoBlueTurboS (08-01-2019)
Old 05-17-2019, 02:56 PM
kslmd
Track Day

LMFAO!!!!!
Old 05-17-2019, 02:57 PM
campbesl
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 80 Posts

I hose my engine down all the time including using Simple Green or an orange cleaner. I then dry with rags and go to town on all the black rubber/plastic bits with ArmorAll. I've never had a problem.

Groovzilla; you made coffee come out of my nose!!!!
Old 05-17-2019, 03:15 PM
venom51
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 135 Posts

Steam is such a harsh cleaning method they use it on such manly things as drapes and lace materials.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:49 PM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by campbesl
I hose my engine down all the time including using Simple Green or an orange cleaner. I then dry with rags and go to town on all the black rubber/plastic bits with ArmorAll. I've never had a problem.

Groovzilla; you made coffee come out of my nose!!!!
Simple Green is great, but it will take the zinc right off the plated parts. Never use it on an engine that has been redone for show. It is also quite corrosive to aluminum, and will affect ground cables and connections (ask me how I know). The key for these latter things is to rinse it off right away.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:55 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 529 Likes on 294 Posts

When I engine clean I like to warm up the engine just a bit, but not too hot that it evaporates any cleaner or water I spray on. I use a soapy orange degreaser first, forgot the name, and let it soak for less than a minute while I go and grab the hose. I then use a "flat" spray pattern nozzle so it is not a direct jet stream of water. Use quick bursts while waving across the engine. I never shoot or spray water directly at any electrical components or connections. Just keep the spray moving and short bursts. Wipe down and detail. Then run engine to normal 200 degree operating temps to evaporate any left over water hard to reach.... Words of advice... NEVER wipe down an engine while it is running!!! I have seen towels get snagged and caught up in the rotating belts or even worse I know a few who lost finger!!

Hope you have no issues with smell or components...

Quick Reply: Spilled oil all over engine compartment