Sponsored by:

Engine cleaning advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 05:27 PM
Jeremy Hazeltine
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Engine cleaning advice

Having been under my car a bunch over the last month, doing coils and exhaust, I noticed it could use an underside cleaning. Nothing leaking, but years of grime, and dirty aluminum. Any advice on how to do this or what to use? I don’t want to spray it down with chemicals, and hose it off to find myself a huge repair bill
Old 05-15-2019, 07:29 PM
Dennis R. Cliff
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I noticed the same dirty underside when bore scoping my 997.2 coupe. I put alcohol on a rag and wiped the surfaces down and I also used Armorall on a rag. The aluminum of the engine is mostly surface oxidation and cannot be easily rubbed off, but a stiff brush will dislodge the dirt. I have a pressure washer but didn't use it as it would surely put water in places it didn't need to be.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:16 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,172 Likes on 3,936 Posts

Originally Posted by Dennis R. Cliff
I noticed the same dirty underside when bore scoping my 997.2 coupe. I put alcohol on a rag and wiped the surfaces down and I also used Armorall on a rag. The aluminum of the engine is mostly surface oxidation and cannot be easily rubbed off, but a stiff brush will dislodge the dirt. I have a pressure washer but didn't use it as it would surely put water in places it didn't need to be.

Dennis, that's beautiful.

Some of the dinginess you see on the engine parts is cosmoline and was put there by Porsche to help protect the raw metal from exposure to the elements.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:59 PM
Zettinger
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 11 Posts

That looks great!

There is a protection coat from factory what is removed when cleaned.
What is the plan to protect the metal when cleaned?

Quick Reply: Engine cleaning advice