Sponsored by:

Looking at 997 turbo.... questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2019, 08:55 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,465 Likes on 918 Posts

IMS is not an issue. The Mezger engine has other potential issues, although not catastrophic like the IMS,
Old 05-10-2019, 08:59 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

As do all engines look at it this way you will be buying a Kentucky derby favorite that has just past the 1/4 mile mark a lot of race left in that horse.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:44 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
If I had been on this site I doubt I would of ever bought a Porsche. But so far they have been the most fun and I do not even think about another brand. Ok that not totally true I look at Ferrari's and drool but have been told by people in the know that the Turbo Porsche is a drivers car.

are you planning daily driving this car I drive mine every Friday to work and joined the PCA and have done 3 tours my wife is having just as much fun as I.
Not a daily driver. Second car.
Old 05-10-2019, 10:45 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
As do all engines look at it this way you will be buying a Kentucky derby favorite that has just past the 1/4 mile mark a lot of race left in that horse.
Hahah. I like that.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:30 PM
saabin
Rennlist Member

Received 546 Likes on 358 Posts

I guess I'm a dissenting opinion, when I was shopping for a turbo I knew it was 6MT only.. thats just me.
I drove a tip and wasn't super keen on it.. Now in my Cayman, I LOVE the PDK..

Depends on what you want to do with the car. For me, it was a deal breaker. For you, maybe not.
Old 05-10-2019, 11:33 PM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by saabin
I guess I'm a dissenting opinion, when I was shopping for a turbo I knew it was 6MT only.. thats just me.
I drove a tip and wasn't super keen on it.. Now in my Cayman, I LOVE the PDK..

Depends on what you want to do with the car. For me, it was a deal breaker. For you, maybe not.
Like I said, if prefer pdk just because of my experience with it. I love it. I always said if I got a 996 or 997 that I would get a manual just because it wasn’t a pdk. But they are hard to find in the price range I’m looking for with the options I’m looking for. This one has everything I’m wanting. Just tiptronic.
Old 05-11-2019, 05:01 AM
mujeriega
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 800hpTurboS
Like I said, if prefer pdk just because of my experience with it. I love it. I always said if I got a 996 or 997 that I would get a manual just because it wasn’t a pdk. But they are hard to find in the price range I’m looking for with the options I’m looking for. This one has everything I’m wanting. Just tiptronic.
What's the price difference between Tip and manual? Picture yourself driving the Tip with that difference in your pocket / bank account or spent on whatever toy you could also buy vs driving the manual. Which makes you happier at that point?

Personally, I'd go with a 996 turbo because you get pretty much the same car for a good deal less and since it's a 2nd car, the dated interior shouldn't be much of an issue and although people complain about the headlights, on a turbo, I think it looks better.
Old 05-11-2019, 07:48 AM
800hpTurboS
Instructor

Originally Posted by mujeriega
What's the price difference between Tip and manual? Picture yourself driving the Tip with that difference in your pocket / bank account or spent on whatever toy you could also buy vs driving the manual. Which makes you happier at that point?

Personally, I'd go with a 996 turbo because you get pretty much the same car for a good deal less and since it's a 2nd car, the dated interior shouldn't be much of an issue and although people complain about the headlights, on a turbo, I think it looks better.
Well I do love me some 996 turbo. That was my first 911 I ever drove. A customers I detailed. I fell in love with it and do want one. It’s whats made me want one. The hardest part about getting rid of my Panamera for an older one is the fact of the interior difference. I love my interior. It’s ome of the main reasons I’m thinking of doing a c2s 991 over the 997/996 turbo. As for price difference between manual and auto, IF I find the same color combo(white on black) it could be a difference of thousands.... miles away and dollars spent. There aren’t a lot. There aren’t a lot of 911 in my price range around me as it is!
Old 05-11-2019, 11:27 AM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

My Boxster interior was 996 interior, I like the 997 interior better I think you need to drive the tip, the last rowing machine I drove was an 84 blazer
Old 05-11-2019, 11:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

I wouldn't own a 997 of any type without a 3rd pedal, but that's just me. The 997TT is actually faster as a tip than it is with a MT because it stays on boost through the gear changes - you don't have to let up on the pedal to push in a clutch, then rebuild the boost.

The tip is Porsches most durable transmission which is why it's still the only one offered in the Cayenne line where not only does it have to handle the load from a 550 HP Turbo S motor, but also the load associated with an 8,000 lb towing capacity.

The 2009 is the sweet spot on my eyes - the famous Mezger engine but with the slightly updated interior of the 997.2.

No IMS ball bearing in this motor. Yiu do need to worry about the coolant pipes having already been pinned, welded, or replaced as that's a few grand if not done already and must be done.

I would recommend you read through jeebus' thread on his 997TT acquisition and the work he has done to it. I think his was a high mileage example, but it will give you insight in what you might need to do over time starting with one at 60,000 miles.
Old 05-11-2019, 12:05 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

The tiptronic is underrated and under appreciated. I really like mine coming from a 997.1 C4 6MT, and part of that is because of where I live (Houston) and how I drive it (frequently into/through the city, sometimes to work). The drivability of the tip has helped me enjoy my turbo more in "everyday" applications. I certainly do miss having a third pedal and perfectly rev matching a down shift... but the moments I could wring out a 6MT around here are unfortunately rare.

Now, as far as turbo maintenance is concerned your big ticket item will be addressing the coolant lines so finding an example that has had this service done is a plus. It's a couple thousand from what others say. If you're not tracking, some say to just wait it out until you get a coolant leak and fix it then. Apparently the glue used after 2008 is better. Mine had a big engine out service at 100k miles where this was addressed. Also you may consider having the camshafts pinned as preventive measure but spun camshafts are a rare failure.... though they will grenade the engine. Otherwise, the standard maintenance items apply. Mine has about double the mileage of the one you are looking at (117k as of yesterday), and I am well on my way to replacing all rubber parts - take a look at my thread if you're interested. These cars are relatively easy to work on so if you're into DIY you can save a ton of money in labor costs.

I would not be concerned at all with your 60k mile candidate as long as you get a good PPI. This is so important. A recent thread on the 997 turbo forum shows how badly things can go wrong if you don't get a good PPI.... Even though mine has 117k miles, the boost is still totally addicting, the tip is a fine transmission, the engine burns no oil, and it pulls like a freight train on crack.

Quick Reply: Looking at 997 turbo.... questions.