Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting tickets: Trend in letting you off?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 04:25 PM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,407 Likes on 2,514 Posts

Bruce, look into your State's Deferred Prosecution Program. Then go to court on your assigned court date (ask for one), and ask the Judge for DP. You don't need an attorney. If your state has a program, the judge will ask you to converse with the State's Attorney in a basic side- bar. Typically you'll be asked to work 1 hour of community service per 1 MPH over the limit. Do the work within 30-90 days, come back with proof, everything dismissed, no points, no fees, no fines.
Old 05-06-2019, 05:31 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 144 Likes on 113 Posts

To observe and collect.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:10 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

CHP and local police are not so forgiving here in California when it comes to speeding tickets. We just end up fighting them.

https://ticketassassin.com/

Old 05-06-2019, 08:03 PM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

DesmoSD you nailed it with the trial by declaration. It's a win win because even if the Officer completes it and the judge rules in the Officers favor, you can still go to court and fight it just as if you had never asked for the TBD. Every CHP Office is different, some are more lax about keeping track of them, so if the Officer doesn't complete it in time it's not that big of deal. Other Offices monitor them closely and I've seen Officers wind up in the Sergeants Office being asked to explain why the TBD wasn't completed on time, especially if certain Officers have a pattern of either blowing them off or turning them in late. I might have just a little inside info on this topic

DesmoSD I see your also in San Diego. Do you happen to have a recommendation for a tuner shop/shop that will install aftermarket items for us that are mechanically challenged? I just put a deposit down today on a 2009 C2S. I'm stoked!
Old 05-06-2019, 08:41 PM
motown12
Rennlist Member

To the OP, Iceter's reply nailed it. You wouldn't believe how far being polite and contrite will get you a lot of times. It doesn't mean having to kiss butt, or apologizing if you honestly feel like you did nothing wrong. Just a simple "Hey sorry about that I didn't realize I was going that fast" or something along those lines. Just being polite and honest. Of course every state, county, city, Officer is different. Some are complete jerks who never give breaks to anyone for any reason and are usually disliked among their peers. Others, like me, remembered what it was like in my youth to get pulled over and had more empathy for people. I gave tons of breaks and unless the person was a total jerk would always write people for 5 over the limit instead of their actual speed so the fine would be less. I also had a little bit of a selfish motive as I didn't like going to traffic court, regardless of whether it was during my shift or overtime. A common misconception is that every cop wants to go to court because it's overtime. Depending on your work schedule that is not always true. And at least here in California, because of the high cost of living, a lot of guys/gals drive an hour + into work every day. If you have Tuesday and Wednesdays off, and your kid has a baseball game or another family event, not every Officer gets excited about having to miss that and go to court on their day off. Hey it's part of the job so you do it, just saying not every situation/Officer is the same. I just retired from the CHP and the budget comes from DMV/registration fees, not revenue from citations, sadly that is not the case for most city/county agencies. I have a lot more info on the topic of Lidar, etc., but don't want to bore people or hijack the thread, but if anyone has any questions they can send me a PM and I'll be happy to help. I just retired last month and am buying my first 911 next week so even if I get bashed on here for my profession no one can damper my mood
Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 358 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by motown12
DesmoSD you nailed it with the trial by declaration. It's a win win because even if the Officer completes it and the judge rules in the Officers favor, you can still go to court and fight it just as if you had never asked for the TBD. Every CHP Office is different, some are more lax about keeping track of them, so if the Officer doesn't complete it in time it's not that big of deal. Other Offices monitor them closely and I've seen Officers wind up in the Sergeants Office being asked to explain why the TBD wasn't completed on time, especially if certain Officers have a pattern of either blowing them off or turning them in late. I might have just a little inside info on this topic

DesmoSD I see your also in San Diego. Do you happen to have a recommendation for a tuner shop/shop that will install aftermarket items for us that are mechanically challenged? I just put a deposit down today on a 2009 C2S. I'm stoked!
+100 with enough wins. The CHP and local police are fed up with CA car enthusiasts because idiots like these ruin it for the rest of us.

I haven't utilized the Porsche or Euro shops around town to offer enough feedback. I've been to TAG once to pick up some oil and they are down the street from HRE. My friend Tony Woods work/owns Pure Motorsports but they mostly work on VW and Audi. I've done some work on Porsches as well. 2M Autowerks seem busy and I went to them to have my fenders cut on my Supra. They mostly work on BMW's but I've seen some 911's there. If you have a specific exhaust for your 911, I can ask Tony for pricing and installation at Pure.

https://tagmotorsports.com/

https://www.purems.com/index.php

http://www.2mautowerks.com/
Old 05-06-2019, 08:42 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 340 Likes on 238 Posts

For the guys in states that require a front plate, leave it off. Give the LE something benign to give you a ticket for. Has for worked me here in NYS many times.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:35 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

I have found that Humor is the best way to get me out of tickets... does not work every time, but it has worked 8 out of 10 for me.

Last edited by qikqbn; 05-07-2019 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:41 PM
golftime
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 62 Posts

Bruce, you got a break. In spite of the Waze and the radar detector, which is legal in Pennsylvania, you were decent to the trooper and he lowered the speed to 5 over, which reduces your fine by a large margin, and I believe does not give you points against your driver's license, which is huge. It's not uncommon as it serves the purpose without being overly penal, and most drivers getting that break gladly pay the ticket instead of going to court, which in the end saves the trooper from spending time in court. And by the way, state police in PA stopped using VASCAR about 20 years ago. It was too complicated with the potential for some error, so it was dumped. Right now the biggest weapons they have against speeders is "instant on" radar that makes detectors much less effective.

Last edited by golftime; 05-06-2019 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:07 PM
TractControlOff
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by cwheeler
The cops here in Virginia are terrible. They cause more problems than they prevent. People race from hiding spot to hiding spot and then slam on their brakes creating yo-yo effect. I cannot stand it.

Cw
I am FAR from a cop hater but I feel NJ is on the VA trajectory. A friend of a friend tipped me off to a month long speeding/phone ticketing blitz by the NJSP. The state owned roads are simply overly patrolled and our speed limits are antiquated.
Only positive is that you do pick up the patterns on the Turnpike and Parkway after a while, so there are places you can usually get away with going a bit faster.
Old 05-06-2019, 11:19 PM
motown12
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the info DesmoSD!
Old 05-07-2019, 12:14 AM
HEIL911
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't see any trends here in VA except the constant push for more tax revenue and reliance on traffic tickets as a dependable revenue source. We have the I-95 interstate running through VA and it is a gold mine for local jurisdictions. Many of the ticketed speeders are just passing through and opt to pay the fine rather than returning to fight the ticket in court. With the encroachment of speed cameras and auto generated tickets, the potential for additional revenue is almost limitless. Of course that will all change once self driving and speed regulated cars become the norm. Until then man remains free to "speed" at his own risk. When I got pulled over by a state trooper for going 85 mph and he asked me if I knew the speed limit, I replied "Absolutely, I was going 100 mph under the speed limit of the car and consider that very restrained and safe driving". He said he had never heard that one before and let me off with a warning.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:45 AM
nicogri
Instructor

Received 72 Likes on 43 Posts

It's funny to see like, even of the other side of the wolrd, we all face same difficulties and pretty same workarounds (in France radar detectors are illegal)

Quick Reply: Getting tickets: Trend in letting you off?