Sponsored by:

PDK "reboot"

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 02:30 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts
Default PDK "reboot"

I saw this post about the PDK "reboot" to sort of clear out the memory or settings that PDK stores, and I have to say it transformed my car completely, it got rid of every little low speed thing it used to do! it drives completely smoothly, and took away all the odd noises and jerky stuff, power delivery seemed smoother and shifts seems much less abrupt. Hopefully this works for others, I had alway heard the early cars were a bit stiffer on shifts, but this procedure seemed to smooth out everything.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:35 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Interesting. Where did this originate?
Old 05-04-2019, 06:23 PM
voiceprint1
Burning Brakes

Received 121 Likes on 80 Posts

it's from the panamera forum on here, but seems like it works for any PDK car, and it's free to try.
Old 05-04-2019, 06:47 PM
mike cap
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 237 Posts

Thanks
Old 05-04-2019, 08:34 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,149 Likes on 730 Posts

Great information. Thanks for the share!!!
Old 05-05-2019, 03:04 AM
vg247
Pro

Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Wow this is great info. While I’m not having any issues with the PDK in my 09’ tempted to try and see if there’s any improvement ..
Old 05-05-2019, 03:20 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

The PDK controller is adaptive. If the procedure above resets it to some defined state it will change its current learned maps, which represent the car driver's driving style. Thus the question is, why do this? Is there something wrong in the learning mode? If not, and the controller is reset, the controller will no longer be aligned with the driver's driving style and it will have to relearn again to go back to the same controller state prior to reset...

Caveat emptor!
Old 05-05-2019, 10:08 AM
holgum
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I have trouble believing this really does anything. Seems like a sequence of events that wouldn’t be that unusual to replicate in the normal course of daily driving. Anyone else tried and feel it really works?
i may give it a go just for kicks when I have time since I recently acquired my car, so it didn’t learn from my driving anyway, at least originally. I always assumed that over time PDK would continue to adapt to most recent driving style. Not to mention that I drive in manual mode most of the time...
Old 05-05-2019, 11:09 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,414 Likes on 858 Posts

2009 C2S 133K MT

There is a trick to reset your throttle body by turning you key on and off and holding up your right arm. So it is already established that Porsche has these resetting tricks... I did the throttle body reset. What did that do for me? Nothing. Overall, I doubt resetting this kind of stuff would hurt anything, so why not try it? It has some entertainment value at a minimum. I could see resetting this before tracking your car or leaving the track. Is this a big deal? Doubt it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-05-2019, 02:12 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 133K MT

There is a trick to reset your throttle body by turning you key on and off and holding up your right arm. So it is already established that Porsche has these resetting tricks.
Your post made me laugh out loud. I installed a Cayenne Sirius module in my PCM 2.1 MOST loop several years ago, which works great. However, every now and then it freezes up on ignition, blanks out the data portion of the screen, and won't let you change the channel. The solution is a cold boot by first turning off the PCM, then turning off the ignition and removing the key. Next, you have to hold the key at arm's length as far away from the ignition switch as possible (I use my left arm with the door open) for a few seconds before restarting the car. I think the PCM won't do a full cold boot unless the key RFID is actually out of range. This procedure works every time. My wife always looks at me funny when I kill the car right after starting it and fling my left arm out the door. Generally, if I switch off the PCM every single time I turn off and leave the car, it will cold boot next time it is switched on and won't have this problem.
Old 05-05-2019, 07:54 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 385 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
2009 C2S 133K MT

There is a trick to reset your throttle body by turning you key on and off and holding up your right arm. So it is already established that Porsche has these resetting tricks... I did the throttle body reset. What did that do for me? Nothing. Overall, I doubt resetting this kind of stuff would hurt anything, so why not try it? It has some entertainment value at a minimum. I could see resetting this before tracking your car or leaving the track. Is this a big deal? Doubt it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The ECU reset does reset the throttle body actuation. That makes sense as it corrects for mechanical wear.

Quick Reply: PDK "reboot"