Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Ticking Noise on Idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Deleted 07.07.2020
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Ticking Noise on Idle

Hello everyone,

I recently purchased my first Porsche 997 Get 2 GTS around 9 months ago. It’s been stored away in the garage over the winter time and I’ve since taken it out to drive it and it now has a terrible ticking noise coming from the rear of the right hand side.

Has anyone come across this before? I’ve had a variety of opinions from a sticking tappet, to bore scoring to valve lift solenoids.

Hopefully someone might be able to shed some light on the issue.

I’ve also found a video on YouTube of another 997 with the same noise, it doesn’t say if or how it was corrected though The video can be found here:

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Deleted 07.07.2020; 05-07-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Don't want the info about the car to jepordise future sale. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 08:16 AM
linderpat
Rennlist Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,254 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisSuth
... I’ve had a variety of opinions from a sticking tappet, to bore scoring to valve lift solenoids.
The advice is good. Those 3 things sound quite a bit alike. But at this point, the only way to diagnose is a bore scope, also a compression and leak down test.
Old 05-01-2019, 09:44 AM
lou-in-nj
Intermediate

Default Do an audio analysis....

Make a few 10 second recordings at strategic places around the engine, start with left, right and center. Then use any of the free audio editing software you can find online to analyze the wave and the timing of the sound. As an example, if your engine is idling at 600 RPM that means each cylinder fires and each valve opens 2.5 times per second, if the sound is a rod bearing, you should hear that sound 5 or 10 times per second if it's very bad. Also, you can see the duration of the sound, and if it's short enough do be a tappet/valve-train noise, or is as long as a stroke, or two strokes, like leak-down during compression, and blowby during the power-stroke. You may even be able to narrow it down to the cylinder if you use a microphone like the one on a pair of earbuds...just see if you can set the mic sensitivity to "low" on your phone.
You might also make up or buy a mechanic's stethoscope, an experienced ear would be able to tell the difference between metal contact and gas blowby.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:18 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

My car used to sound like that sometimes, but i was told by multiple people that its "normal". Now its getting a rebuild, because the cylinder got scored really bad.

Get it scoped.
Old 05-01-2019, 10:27 AM
Deleted 07.07.2020
7th Gear

Originally Posted by lou-in-nj
Make a few 10 second recordings at strategic places around the engine, start with left, right and center. Then use any of the free audio editing software you can find online to analyze the wave and the timing of the sound. As an example, if your engine is idling at 600 RPM that means each cylinder fires and each valve opens 2.5 times per second, if the sound is a rod bearing, you should hear that sound 5 or 10 times per second if it's very bad. Also, you can see the duration of the sound, and if it's short enough do be a tappet/valve-train noise, or is as long as a stroke, or two strokes, like leak-down during compression, and blowby during the power-stroke. You may even be able to narrow it down to the cylinder if you use a microphone like the one on a pair of earbuds...just see if you can set the mic sensitivity to "low" on your phone.
You might also make up or buy a mechanic's stethoscope, an experienced ear would be able to tell the difference between metal contact and gas blowby.
Thanks for the advice, i'll certainly try that
Old 05-01-2019, 10:29 AM
Deleted 07.07.2020
7th Gear

Originally Posted by bronz
My car used to sound like that sometimes, but i was told by multiple people that its "normal". Now its getting a rebuild, because the cylinder got scored really bad.

Get it scoped.
Ah really? Doesn't sound good at all... Is your car a Gen 2 also? What mileage has yours covered and do you mind saying how much you were quoted for the rebuild?

Last edited by Deleted 07.07.2020; 05-07-2019 at 05:23 AM. Reason: Removed name, Don't want the info about the car to jepordise future sale. Thanks
Old 05-01-2019, 10:44 AM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My 2010 C4S sounds similar to this but ticking isn't as pronounced...but close. Dealer and everyone stressed it was normal. Wondering if GTS options make it a bit louder?
Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM
Deleted 07.07.2020
7th Gear

Originally Posted by millertimefl
My 2010 C4S sounds similar to this but ticking isn't as pronounced...but close. Dealer and everyone stressed it was normal. Wondering if GTS options make it a bit louder?
Thanks for your response. I've also had people say it's normal, but the noise wasn't there last year before it was garaged before winter so I don't think it is. I would've noticed that noise previously for sure...
Old 05-01-2019, 10:59 AM
bronz
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LewisSuth
Ah really? Doesn't sound good at all... Is your car a Gen 2 also? What mileage has yours covered and do you mind saying how much you were quoted for the rebuild?

Thanks,
Lewis.
yes gen 2 and 76k, heres the thread on it:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...e-failure.html
Old 05-02-2019, 04:18 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to throw out some low cost trouble shooting ideas to consider:
I'd inspect the tensioner and idler bearings to see if they're worn down or going bad.
Also, maybe consider changing the engine mounts (typically due at around 100K). That might reduce vibration which might make this sound disappear.
Hope it is not anything else. Please update your findings here.
Old 05-03-2019, 01:36 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

I know that rhythm and tone. You need a stethoscope, and a 40 dollar borescope from Amazon..Save the leakdown and compression test- they won't show you anything unless the compression test is done "running" and unless the damage is into the 3rd stage.
Old 05-03-2019, 02:35 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,008 Likes on 716 Posts

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
I know that rhythm and tone. You need a stethoscope, and a 40 dollar borescope from Amazon..Save the leakdown and compression test- they won't show you anything unless the compression test is done "running" and unless the damage is into the 3rd stage.
And what's that rhythm and tone typically associated with? Not asking for a precise diagnosis at all but if you had to guess, what would be your best guess? Just curious since I have the same car (without that rhythm and tone )
Old 05-03-2019, 07:32 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,282 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by sandwedge
And what's that rhythm and tone typically associated with? Not asking for a precise diagnosis at all but if you had to guess, what would be your best guess? Just curious since I have the same car (without that rhythm and tone )
Bore scoring...

Not saying that it’s for sure the issue, but when a noise like this pops up in these engines this is the very first thing that needs to be ruled out. Typically people start with valvetrain issues as a probable culprit, and they often misdiagnose the issue. They can even mistreat the issue by following this wrong path at the onset.

Once the bore scoring is ruled out, you can then move on to simpler possibilities with certainty that you won’t waste time and money.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:27 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I also had that noise. It turned out to be the tensioner. Had it replaced , now all is good.
Old 05-03-2019, 09:33 AM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

While the engine was running, the mechanic had a large screwdriver (flat head) and applied pressure to the tensioner area and the tick went away.

Quick Reply: Porsche 997.2 GTS Engine Ticking Noise on Idle