Sponsored by:

I did the gundo and....

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2019, 10:19 PM
avonted
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I did the gundo and....

NOT SURE IF I LIKE IT!!! I only have a 3.6 so maybe that's why. A little bit of a trumpet sound. I was hoping for something deeper. Anyway, anyone ever reverse it? Seems like it would be a PITA!!! Comments?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:33 PM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

Originally Posted by avonted
NOT SURE IF I LIKE IT!!! I only have a 3.6 so maybe that's why. A little bit of a trumpet sound. I was hoping for something deeper. Anyway, anyone ever reverse it? Seems like it would be a PITA!!! Comments?
Maybe get "KENNYG" personalized license plate?
Old 04-24-2019, 10:35 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Cut the bypass pipe and weld a stop piece in the cut
Old 04-24-2019, 10:58 PM
avonted
Instructor

Kenny G - fantastic. And yah the weld patch is something I might just do
Old 04-24-2019, 10:59 PM
wportervt
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you could post a sound clip of it starting up and running? Thanks!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:04 PM
DriftFreak
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wportervt
Any chance you could post a sound clip of it starting up and running? Thanks!
I agree. Would be nice to hear it!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:24 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Just to clarify. Did you do the Gundo or Fister hack??

The "Gundo" hack is closely related to the PSE setup and is post-muffler design. The Tone is deeper and throaty and only slightly louder over all, but not as loud as the Fister.

The "Fister" hack is done pre-muffler. The hack is definitely louder since it is pre muffler. Tone has a bit more wail at the top end too. Not as deep as the Gundo, but definitely louder.

It's a personal preference between which is better. Some say the Fister is more "racey" while the Gundo is a bit more "mature".

I did a version of the Gundo with a valve in place so I could turn it on or off. It's not much louder than stock, but it is the TONE that really makes a nice difference. Definitely adds more presence and bass in the low rpms 2500-4000 is a nice sweet spot.

Like I said... it's all personal preference. I also would agree that if you want to reverse it... have them cut into the cross pipe and add plugs into the openings.

****The Gundo taps into the 3rd chamber of the muffler and then routes into the exit pipe.

http://www.monteithrestoration.com/t...t-modification

****The "Fister" hack does a "H" pipe connection between the inlet and outlet exhaust pipes just before entering into the muffler

Last edited by qikqbn; 04-24-2019 at 11:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2019, 11:37 PM
qikqbn
Rennlist Member

Received 540 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by groovzilla
Maybe get "KENNYG" personalized license plate?

hahaha.... My vote for personalized license plate would be "DIZZY" or "GILESPI" .... that's more trumpet sounding, but KENNYG is good!
Old 04-24-2019, 11:44 PM
avonted
Instructor

I think its more Chuck Mangione (but that would be hard to get on a license plate). My car is at the mechanic now but when I get it back, I will take a vid. What I did was the second picture.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:11 AM
groovzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 4,965 Likes on 2,937 Posts

Originally Posted by avonted
I think its more Chuck Mangione (but that would be hard to get on a license plate). My car is at the mechanic now but when I get it back, I will take a vid. What I did was the second picture.
^^^
Old 04-25-2019, 12:46 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 805 Likes on 453 Posts
Cool

I bet someone would trade you for their stockers if it came to that...I am just saying.

also, Kenny G plays the SAX. I kind of wish I didn't know that or feel compelled to edit my previous comment to include it.
Old 04-25-2019, 12:51 AM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

What you need to do is combine the top mod with the bottom mod in the photos posted above. I had that on my 997.1 3.6 and loved the sound. I called it the super Gundo
Old 04-25-2019, 08:49 AM
Carreralicious
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 408 Posts

The Gundo hack actually is just adding a pipe between inlet and outlet. See Gundo’s actual posting on his hack: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...lers-sale.html

I personally am a good friend of Gundo. Here’s his guards red C2S Cab at my house during a work on cars gathering I held...

Originally Posted by qikqbn
Just to clarify. Did you do the Gundo or Fister hack??

The "Gundo" hack is closely related to the PSE setup and is post-muffler design. The Tone is deeper and throaty and only slightly louder over all, but not as loud as the Fister.

The "Fister" hack is done pre-muffler. The hack is definitely louder since it is pre muffler. Tone has a bit more wail at the top end too. Not as deep as the Gundo, but definitely louder.

It's a personal preference between which is better. Some say the Fister is more "racey" while the Gundo is a bit more "mature".

I did a version of the Gundo with a valve in place so I could turn it on or off. It's not much louder than stock, but it is the TONE that really makes a nice difference. Definitely adds more presence and bass in the low rpms 2500-4000 is a nice sweet spot.

Like I said... it's all personal preference. I also would agree that if you want to reverse it... have them cut into the cross pipe and add plugs into the openings.

****The Gundo taps into the 3rd chamber of the muffler and then routes into the exit pipe.

http://www.monteithrestoration.com/t...t-modification

****The "Fister" hack does a "H" pipe connection between the inlet and outlet exhaust pipes just before entering into the muffler

Old 04-25-2019, 09:00 AM
Jeller
Intermediate

I did the gundo on a set and did not like it, too raspy for my taste at low speeds/rpms, sounded great at WOT but crappy at low speeds (2" connector pipe was used FYI). I then took another set and did the connection to the 3rd chamber only and its barely louder than stock, most would not even know it.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:57 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Fister is just a pretty version of the Gundo. Anything other than a connector between the muffler inlet and outlet is just someone else's variation.

I am surprised that someone would dislike the sound of the exhaust post-gundo. I found that the biggest improvement on my 3.6 was that the "farty" tone went away.

Quick Reply: I did the gundo and....