Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997.2 Interior Wind Noise - Whistling Mirror or Something Else???

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 AM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Check with your insurance. Some provide complete glass complete glass coverage that doesn’t charge you for any glass replacement. That may include resealing or an unfortunate crack that may happen requiring a new windshield.

Safeco is who I go with.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:12 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Originally Posted by o'bluetouring
Yup you guys were right: windshield is off!!!

I was able to isolate the noise when I was cruising on freeway last week. Stuck my fingers between the windshield and the headliner on the driver-side top corner and I could feel the wind movement and the noise changes when I moved my fingers around.

Took it to the dealer yesterday, and the tech said he didn't even need to test drive as he could see the windshield was off when we did a quick visual check.

Unfortunately for us, this issue is not covered under CPO so repair cost will be out of our own pocket. They said they could "try" to reposition the glass but there is a very good chance the windshield will break during the uninstall process.

They suggested we go back to the original dealer we purchased the car from (newly CPO'ed back in January when we bought it), but based on our post-sale interactions we had with that dealer (various issues, including not given us two functional keys and owner's manual per CPO checklist), we may just go to my trusty Indy to do the repair.

Has anyone successfully uninstall and reinstall an OEM windshield without breaking things?
Yes about the no break but..... always a big butt in the room eh?

The dealer used a new guy to install a new windshield (owner's son started in service and liked someone else)... new guy did a bad job, took the car back... got the old guy to redo the windshield. All was covered by the dealer at this point... they said the old one came out no breakage so they put a new seal in and re-seated it properly. Where's the big butt? Well about 1.5 years later I got a leak... it must have been there the whole time... car had to be canted just right... I thought it was the roof drains..... long story... finally got it sealed myself with some Permatex windshield sealant. Soooo...... what does this all mean? I dunno... I suspect (just my imagination) there was some old adhesive hardened on the glass preventing a good seal.

BTW, if your indy does it... demand and pay for OEM glass. Lotsa stories about this... just ask how I know.

BTW, the old 986 Boxsters and 996 911s had wind noise issues with the alignment of the front hood and bumper.... the tape trick was required to get it just right otherwise you could stop the noise but it wouldn't look right.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 05-15-2019 at 10:30 AM.
Old 05-17-2019, 03:54 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Yes about the no break but..... always a big butt in the room eh?

The dealer used a new guy to install a new windshield (owner's son started in service and liked someone else)... new guy did a bad job, took the car back... got the old guy to redo the windshield. All was covered by the dealer at this point... they said the old one came out no breakage so they put a new seal in and re-seated it properly. Where's the big butt? Well about 1.5 years later I got a leak... it must have been there the whole time... car had to be canted just right... I thought it was the roof drains..... long story... finally got it sealed myself with some Permatex windshield sealant. Soooo...... what does this all mean? I dunno... I suspect (just my imagination) there was some old adhesive hardened on the glass preventing a good seal.

BTW, if your indy does it... demand and pay for OEM glass. Lotsa stories about this... just ask how I know.

BTW, the old 986 Boxsters and 996 911s had wind noise issues with the alignment of the front hood and bumper.... the tape trick was required to get it just right otherwise you could stop the noise but it wouldn't look right.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Thanks Bruce, for the info. I found your old threads about your issues too, and I'm wondering how easy do you think for the next windshield guy to clean off Permatex? I'm asking because the windshield vendor both my local Porsche dealer and my Indy uses told me yesterday that if he puts more sealants in as a remedy for now, it will be difficult for someone to really make the next windshield flush to the metal frame, similar to your situation a year or so after the initial installation. He said at that time I might need to get a bodyshop involved to sand down the dried glue.

At this time I got a quote for $1100 for OEM glass + labor (btw my insurance deductible is $1000 so I won't go through insurance), but I feel even now I might have to sand down the glue for a flush mount. So I think I should just get the Permatex sealant you mentioned and drip some into the gaps underneath the rubber seal.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:07 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

That Permatex sealant is not a strong adhesive. It is a very low viscosity silicone. When it dries, it is silicone. However it doesn't seem to stick real well... in other words, that stuff will just peel off.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 05-17-2019, 08:25 PM
o'bluetouring
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
That Permatex sealant is not a strong adhesive. It is a very low viscosity silicone. When it dries, it is silicone. However it doesn't seem to stick real well... in other words, that stuff will just peel off.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Got it. Thanks!! So I think that might work for me as a remedy to hopefully reduce the wind noise, and it won't be hard to remove when I'm ready for new windshield.

I just sent an email to the Porsche dealer that I purchased this CPO from, and asked them if they have any records of the windshield being replaced while the last owner had it (the last owner serviced the car multiple times according to CarFax and AutoCheck), and hopefully there is warranty left for the workmanship. Or hopefully they'll give me a deal on new windshield installation since they didn't catch (or ignored) this during the CPO process.
Old 10-09-2023, 03:24 AM
PritchardHill
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For those of you who had a bad windshield install job could you describe the noise? I just got my windshield replaced by the dealer and I finally had a chance to drive on the freeway for a short stretch where I got some wind noise when I'm +70mph. I'm not sure if I'm just being OCD, it was a little windy or the windshield wasn't done properly. I need to find time to go for another drive, but there's no visible gaps between the seal and windshield.

I'm not getting any whistling or buzzing, but more just like it's windy.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Interior Wind Noise - Whistling Mirror or Something Else???