Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum-113/)
-   -   997.2 Interior Wind Noise - Whistling Mirror or Something Else??? (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-forum/1138491-997-2-interior-wind-noise-whistling-mirror-or-something-else.html)

o'bluetouring 04-14-2019 04:44 PM

997.2 Interior Wind Noise - Whistling Mirror or Something Else???

We've been experiencing wind noise in our new-to-us 2012 997.2 coupe. The noise gets very noticeable at 35MPH+.

I've done some research on various forums and I understand certain people have the "whistling mirror" issue.

I'm wondering, for those who experienced this issue, if the noise sounds like it's coming in from the window? I'm asking this because the noise we're hearing sounds like it's coming from the upper dash, where the SC wart and the couple vents are. The noise sounds like AC is blowing hard, even though AC is off. We also turned the AC circulation on/off to limit the amount of outside air mixing in with AC but the noise is still present.

Have anyone experience this type of wind noise before? Maybe this is the whistling mirror noise and the sound just bounces off various surfaces so it sounds like it's coming from the upper dash?

Thanks in advance for any feedbacks!!

kellen 04-14-2019 05:20 PM

Fighting some small wind noise and rattles currently. Try pulling the door in closer when driving, seems to lessen mine. May adjust the door striker a little in if it something that I can do.

Phrog Phlyer 04-14-2019 07:46 PM

If you have ventilated seats is the fan on?

o'bluetouring 04-14-2019 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Phrog Phlyer
If you have ventilated seats is the fan on?

No I don't have ventilated seats. But yes the noise type/level does sound like the Audi I used to have when I blasted its ventilated seat.

o'bluetouring 04-14-2019 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by kellen
Fighting some small wind noise and rattles currently. Try pulling the door in closer when driving, seems to lessen mine. May adjust the door striker a little in if it something that I can do.

I'll give that a try tomorrow when I go out for a drive. Thanks for the advice!

DesmoSD 04-15-2019 01:37 PM

If it's coming from the dash, it could be the battery cover and pieces inside the frunk. Have you took a look at those?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...igh-speed.html

o'bluetouring 04-15-2019 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
If it's coming from the dash, it could be the battery cover and pieces inside the frunk. Have you took a look at those?

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...igh-speed.html

Thanks!! That might be an issue as I just popped the frunk and saw that these plastic covers were definitely loose. The plastic trims along the length of the frunk were also loose as I noticed the velcros have come off the pieces. I suspect some of these plastic pieces are probably deformed so these no longer stay in place well.

I'll see what I can do and maybe need to add a couple more velcro to make sure nothing is loose.

BLU997 04-18-2019 03:58 PM

The intrigue and mystery of wind noise..

MY09 997.2 C2S Man.

Hi there,
I have a wind noise that sounds like it comes from the top edge of the windscreen, but it's from the sunroof area, a whistle/rushing, almost like white noise. I know its the sunroof, I set it to "tilt", and the noise is gone.
I will experiment with tape to fully seal off the gaps and see if that cures the problem.
What would the cause be? When the sunroof is in its home closed position, it appears to be completely flush with the roof line as one would expect.
The internal rubber seal is unbroken, but maybe little harder than when the car was fresh out of Germany.
There is another gap filling rubber between the roof opening and the sunroof panel, this is unbroken too.
Any clues?

bheit1 05-14-2019 10:54 AM

If your windshield was replaced, I would look for a poor sealing job. That happened to me. It was noisy as hell until they came back and replaced it.

Bruce In Philly 05-14-2019 12:08 PM

+1 for the windshield.... it should be placed deep... I had a bad install once.

Trick to isolate the sound..... Take a roll of painters tape... Tape around the windshield... drive...... take it off... tape around where the hood meets the front bumper.... etc etc etc.. You will isolate in less that 20 mnts... max.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

BLU997 05-14-2019 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly (Post 15839788)
+1 for the windshield.... it should be placed deep... I had a bad install once.

Trick to isolate the sound..... Take a roll of painters tape... Tape around the windshield... drive...... take it off... tape around where the hood meets the front bumper.... etc etc etc.. You will isolate in less that 20 mnts... max.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

And you have to drive FAST to encourage the noise!
That’s important research, right there!

mike cap 05-14-2019 07:56 PM

Good advice from Bruce. Most likely the windscreen sealing is off. Drove my 993 once with the ws seal removed and at 20 mph the noise was deafening. Even a small ws seal gap will make lots of noise.

o'bluetouring 05-14-2019 08:54 PM

Yup you guys were right: windshield is off!!!

I was able to isolate the noise when I was cruising on freeway last week. Stuck my fingers between the windshield and the headliner on the driver-side top corner and I could feel the wind movement and the noise changes when I moved my fingers around.

Took it to the dealer yesterday, and the tech said he didn't even need to test drive as he could see the windshield was off when we did a quick visual check.

Unfortunately for us, this issue is not covered under CPO so repair cost will be out of our own pocket. They said they could "try" to reposition the glass but there is a very good chance the windshield will break during the uninstall process.

They suggested we go back to the original dealer we purchased the car from (newly CPO'ed back in January when we bought it), but based on our post-sale interactions we had with that dealer (various issues, including not given us two functional keys and owner's manual per CPO checklist), we may just go to my trusty Indy to do the repair.

Has anyone successfully uninstall and reinstall an OEM windshield without breaking things?

bheit1 05-14-2019 10:46 PM

My local dealer would not touch a windshield job. Any good glass shop should be able to remove the windshield without braking it. Mine was cracked and they got it out in one piece. The problem you may run into is, if the glass is not properly formed, it most likely won't ever seal right. Seems cheaper after market windshields are famous for not fitting properly. There's a possibility of injecting some sealant with the glass in place, but you'll have to remove the rubber exterior seal - $142 is what they charged my insurance co. for that.

o'bluetouring 05-14-2019 11:28 PM

The dealer did confirm the windshield currently on the car is OEM. I looked through the CarFax and AutoCheck reports from when I got the car and there is no mention of windshield replacement. Doesn't mean the previous owner never replaced it though. Just wished the original could have fixed it before they CPO the car this past January. I definitely wasn't listening for it when I test drove the car as I was too focused on engine sound (and enjoyed the PSE).