Sponsored by:

Roof rack and bike carriers

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Roof rack and bike carriers

I purchased a 997 GTS from a rennlister last week and i’m Looking for OEM roofracks. So if you have any for sale, PM me.

i’m also looking for advise on what bike carrier to use for my Carbon mountain bike and carbon road bike. Anyone with experience on how the Yakima fit vs Thule? I was looking at the Thule upride VS the Yakima Highroad.

I would love to hear some real live feedback from Porsche/MTB/road biking enthusiast

cheers.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 AM
mrtoro
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

was that the white one with aero kit? Super nice car. The OEM bars are nice and spendy. they will accept most new bike carriers and trays. I prefer the fork mounts, seems more sturdy to me. However that requires removal of the front tire and storage in the car. Adds more steps.

There are many versions that grab the down tube and they are perfectly fine with carbon frames. We had two carbon road bikes on downtube style bike racks and drove through the mountains at not so slow speeds. Never a problem.

Yakima also makes towers (attachments) that perfectly fit the 996/997 factory mount points. I am going with those next time. More universal attacment for ski racks and boxes.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:14 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

I bought a black GTS, 6MT. No aero kit. I used the seasucker on my C7, but the 911 has a full PPF applied, so seasucker does not work anymore. That was a fork mount solution. I do have bottle cages on my bike, so I was thinking that a full upright carrier would be best.

i would love to see some combinations of the OEM roofrack with current bike carriers.

Originally Posted by mrtoro
was that the white one with aero kit? Super nice car. The OEM bars are nice and spendy. they will accept most new bike carriers and trays. I prefer the fork mounts, seems more sturdy to me. However that requires removal of the front tire and storage in the car. Adds more steps.

There are many versions that grab the down tube and they are perfectly fine with carbon frames. We had two carbon road bikes on downtube style bike racks and drove through the mountains at not so slow speeds. Never a problem.

Yakima also makes towers (attachments) that perfectly fit the 996/997 factory mount points. I am going with those next time. More universal attacment for ski racks and boxes.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM
rjaudi
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I use the factory rack with a 1up bike tray because my mountain bike has a thru axle which makes a fork mount difficult.
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Any pictures res you can share? How does the 1up attach to the roof rack?

Originally Posted by rjaudi
I use the factory rack with a 1up bike tray because my mountain bike has a thru axle which makes a fork mount difficult.
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Have the OEM roof rack with Thule single bike wheel holder and RockyMount bike holder. Have to take the front wheel off each time but it takes 1 minute. Went this route as I feel it was a little safer as the front locks, plus the rack came with one rocky mount with it. Pics are right after I first mounted it, right before crashing it into my garage, lol.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:32 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Oh no, I hope their was no damage. How do you like the rocky mount? What type is it? Does it slide into the OEM roof rack?

Originally Posted by kellen
Have the OEM roof rack with Thule single bike wheel holder and RockyMount bike holder. Have to take the front wheel off each time but it takes 1 minute. Went this route as I feel it was a little safer as the front locks, plus the rack came with one rocky mount with it. Pics are right after I first mounted it, right before crashing it into my garage, lol.

Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 349 Likes on 230 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Oh no, I hope their was no damage. How do you like the rocky mount? What type is it? Does it slide into the OEM roof rack?
Damage just to the seat and my ego. One easily repaired.

Looks like it is the Rocky Mount Jetline. The caps of the OEM roof rack remove and there is room to fit in a metal bar with threads or a bolt that most accessories attach to. Like an inverted T.

I would decide if you want to remove a wheel or not, if you need the bike to be locked. Then look on craigslist, they are always there for 1/2 price. The Porsche OEM ones were clearance a little bit ago so may check retailers.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Thanks for the info. I found the OEM ones at $550 new. So far i’m Leaning towards the Yakima highroad which leaves the wheels on.

Originally Posted by kellen
Damage just to the seat and my ego. One easily repaired.

Looks like it is the Rocky Mount Jetline. The caps of the OEM roof rack remove and there is room to fit in a metal bar with threads or a bolt that most accessories attach to. Like an inverted T.

I would decide if you want to remove a wheel or not, if you need the bike to be locked. Then look on craigslist, they are always there for 1/2 price. The Porsche OEM ones were clearance a little bit ago so may check retailers.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM
bje22201
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use the Yakima Skyline towers with landing pads, and the jetstream cross bars along with the high-roller bike rack (not sure what the newest version is called). I've also used it with the Off-Grid cargo basket when travelling and needing extra space. Cyclocross, road, mountain, track. . . all bikes have been up there, and even my dog (but that was just for a picture).

It works well, and if I want to remove it, comes off in about 5 minutes. . . my only worry was that I might not be able to pop-up the sunroof, but it's not even close to hitting the rack.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Good to know. Do the jet stream or high road fit into the T-slot of the OEM rack?
When do you pick the jet stream and when the high road? Interested in learning the difference between both

Originally Posted by bje22201
I use the Yakima Skyline towers with landing pads, and the jetstream cross bars along with the high-roller bike rack (not sure what the newest version is called). I've also used it with the Off-Grid cargo basket when travelling and needing extra space. Cyclocross, road, mountain, track. . . all bikes have been up there, and even my dog (but that was just for a picture).

It works well, and if I want to remove it, comes off in about 5 minutes. . . my only worry was that I might not be able to pop-up the sunroof, but it's not even close to hitting the rack.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
I bought a black GTS, 6MT. No aero kit. I used the seasucker on my C7, but the 911 has a full PPF applied, so seasucker does not work anymore. That was a fork mount solution. I do have bottle cages on my bike, so I was thinking that a full upright carrier would be best.

i would love to see some combinations of the OEM roofrack with current bike carriers.
how was the seasucker system? I no longer have a roof rack available to me.
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Rocky Mounts on the left. I cannot remember the model, but isn't the jetliner. It has a strap which wraps around the bar and fits just about any rack. I use the Jetliner for a third mount facing backwards occasionally when we go to Breck in the summer. Road bike for Mrs and I and mountain bike for me.

I've added a yakima 40" wind fairing since these photos and it cuts the wind noise substantially.

Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

I loved the seasucker system and would not have looked for roof racks if the GTS that replace my C7 was not fully wrapped in PPF.

Originally Posted by pilfer
how was the seasucker system? I no longer have a roof rack available to me.
The following users liked this post:
winnibago (06-06-2020)
Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Nice! Where do you leave the front wheel?

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

Rocky Mounts on the left. I cannot remember the model, but isn't the jetliner. It has a strap which wraps around the bar and fits just about any rack. I use the Jetliner for a third mount facing backwards occasionally when we go to Breck in the summer. Road bike for Mrs and I and mountain bike for me.

I've added a yakima 40" wind fairing since these photos and it cuts the wind noise substantially.

Quick Reply: Roof rack and bike carriers