Notices
997 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack and bike carriers

 
Old 04-14-2019, 10:48 AM
  #1  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default Roof rack and bike carriers

I purchased a 997 GTS from a rennlister last week and iím Looking for OEM roofracks. So if you have any for sale, PM me.

iím also looking for advise on what bike carrier to use for my Carbon mountain bike and carbon road bike. Anyone with experience on how the Yakima fit vs Thule? I was looking at the Thule upride VS the Yakima Highroad.

I would love to hear some real live feedback from Porsche/MTB/road biking enthusiast

cheers.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 11:42 AM
  #2  
mrtoro
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
mrtoro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 264
Default

was that the white one with aero kit? Super nice car. The OEM bars are nice and spendy. they will accept most new bike carriers and trays. I prefer the fork mounts, seems more sturdy to me. However that requires removal of the front tire and storage in the car. Adds more steps.

There are many versions that grab the down tube and they are perfectly fine with carbon frames. We had two carbon road bikes on downtube style bike racks and drove through the mountains at not so slow speeds. Never a problem.

Yakima also makes towers (attachments) that perfectly fit the 996/997 factory mount points. I am going with those next time. More universal attacment for ski racks and boxes.
mrtoro is online now  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:14 PM
  #3  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

I bought a black GTS, 6MT. No aero kit. I used the seasucker on my C7, but the 911 has a full PPF applied, so seasucker does not work anymore. That was a fork mount solution. I do have bottle cages on my bike, so I was thinking that a full upright carrier would be best.

i would love to see some combinations of the OEM roofrack with current bike carriers.

Originally Posted by mrtoro View Post
was that the white one with aero kit? Super nice car. The OEM bars are nice and spendy. they will accept most new bike carriers and trays. I prefer the fork mounts, seems more sturdy to me. However that requires removal of the front tire and storage in the car. Adds more steps.

There are many versions that grab the down tube and they are perfectly fine with carbon frames. We had two carbon road bikes on downtube style bike racks and drove through the mountains at not so slow speeds. Never a problem.

Yakima also makes towers (attachments) that perfectly fit the 996/997 factory mount points. I am going with those next time. More universal attacment for ski racks and boxes.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM
  #4  
rjaudi
User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Charlotte,NC
Posts: 65
Default

I use the factory rack with a 1up bike tray because my mountain bike has a thru axle which makes a fork mount difficult.
rjaudi is online now  
Old 04-14-2019, 01:45 PM
  #5  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

Any pictures res you can share? How does the 1up attach to the roof rack?

Originally Posted by rjaudi View Post
I use the factory rack with a 1up bike tray because my mountain bike has a thru axle which makes a fork mount difficult.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 PM
  #6  
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Have the OEM roof rack with Thule single bike wheel holder and RockyMount bike holder. Have to take the front wheel off each time but it takes 1 minute. Went this route as I feel it was a little safer as the front locks, plus the rack came with one rocky mount with it. Pics are right after I first mounted it, right before crashing it into my garage, lol.


kellen is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:32 PM
  #7  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

Oh no, I hope their was no damage. How do you like the rocky mount? What type is it? Does it slide into the OEM roof rack?

Originally Posted by kellen View Post
Have the OEM roof rack with Thule single bike wheel holder and RockyMount bike holder. Have to take the front wheel off each time but it takes 1 minute. Went this route as I feel it was a little safer as the front locks, plus the rack came with one rocky mount with it. Pics are right after I first mounted it, right before crashing it into my garage, lol.


TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-14-2019, 05:39 PM
  #8  
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 1,340
Default

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk View Post
Oh no, I hope their was no damage. How do you like the rocky mount? What type is it? Does it slide into the OEM roof rack?
Damage just to the seat and my ego. One easily repaired.

Looks like it is the Rocky Mount Jetline. The caps of the OEM roof rack remove and there is room to fit in a metal bar with threads or a bolt that most accessories attach to. Like an inverted T.

I would decide if you want to remove a wheel or not, if you need the bike to be locked. Then look on craigslist, they are always there for 1/2 price. The Porsche OEM ones were clearance a little bit ago so may check retailers.
kellen is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 07:30 AM
  #9  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

Thanks for the info. I found the OEM ones at $550 new. So far iím Leaning towards the Yakima highroad which leaves the wheels on.

Originally Posted by kellen View Post
Damage just to the seat and my ego. One easily repaired.

Looks like it is the Rocky Mount Jetline. The caps of the OEM roof rack remove and there is room to fit in a metal bar with threads or a bolt that most accessories attach to. Like an inverted T.

I would decide if you want to remove a wheel or not, if you need the bike to be locked. Then look on craigslist, they are always there for 1/2 price. The Porsche OEM ones were clearance a little bit ago so may check retailers.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 10:46 AM
  #10  
bje22201
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: DC Area
Posts: 12
Default

I use the Yakima Skyline towers with landing pads, and the jetstream cross bars along with the high-roller bike rack (not sure what the newest version is called). I've also used it with the Off-Grid cargo basket when travelling and needing extra space. Cyclocross, road, mountain, track. . . all bikes have been up there, and even my dog (but that was just for a picture).

It works well, and if I want to remove it, comes off in about 5 minutes. . . my only worry was that I might not be able to pop-up the sunroof, but it's not even close to hitting the rack.
bje22201 is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 11:45 AM
  #11  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

Good to know. Do the jet stream or high road fit into the T-slot of the OEM rack?
When do you pick the jet stream and when the high road? Interested in learning the difference between both


Originally Posted by bje22201 View Post
I use the Yakima Skyline towers with landing pads, and the jetstream cross bars along with the high-roller bike rack (not sure what the newest version is called). I've also used it with the Off-Grid cargo basket when travelling and needing extra space. Cyclocross, road, mountain, track. . . all bikes have been up there, and even my dog (but that was just for a picture).

It works well, and if I want to remove it, comes off in about 5 minutes. . . my only worry was that I might not be able to pop-up the sunroof, but it's not even close to hitting the rack.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 12:59 PM
  #12  
pilfer
User
 
pilfer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 176
Default

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk View Post
I bought a black GTS, 6MT. No aero kit. I used the seasucker on my C7, but the 911 has a full PPF applied, so seasucker does not work anymore. That was a fork mount solution. I do have bottle cages on my bike, so I was thinking that a full upright carrier would be best.

i would love to see some combinations of the OEM roofrack with current bike carriers.
how was the seasucker system? I no longer have a roof rack available to me.
pilfer is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:33 PM
  #13  
GoldenGorilla
User
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: Golden, CO
Posts: 79
Default


Rocky Mounts on the left. I cannot remember the model, but isn't the jetliner. It has a strap which wraps around the bar and fits just about any rack. I use the Jetliner for a third mount facing backwards occasionally when we go to Breck in the summer. Road bike for Mrs and I and mountain bike for me.

I've added a yakima 40" wind fairing since these photos and it cuts the wind noise substantially.

GoldenGorilla is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:48 PM
  #14  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

I loved the seasucker system and would not have looked for roof racks if the GTS that replace my C7 was not fully wrapped in PPF.




Originally Posted by pilfer View Post
how was the seasucker system? I no longer have a roof rack available to me.
TrappistMonk is offline  
Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
  #15  
TrappistMonk
User
Thread Starter
 
TrappistMonk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NC
Posts: 553
Default

Nice! Where do you leave the front wheel?

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla View Post

Rocky Mounts on the left. I cannot remember the model, but isn't the jetliner. It has a strap which wraps around the bar and fits just about any rack. I use the Jetliner for a third mount facing backwards occasionally when we go to Breck in the summer. Road bike for Mrs and I and mountain bike for me.

I've added a yakima 40" wind fairing since these photos and it cuts the wind noise substantially.

TrappistMonk is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: