Sponsored by:

Roof rack and bike carriers

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 01:49 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
I loved the seasucker system and would not have looked for roof racks if the GTS that replace my C7 was not fully wrapped in PPF.

ok cool thank you. Seasucker Talon right?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:08 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

I purchased a 997 GTS from a rennlister last week and i’m Looking for OEM roofracks. So if you have any for sale, PM me.

i’m also looking for advise on what bike carrier to use for my Carbon mountain bike and carbon road bike. Anyone with experience on how the Yakima fit vs Thule? I was looking at the Thule upride VS the Yakima Highroad.

I would love to hear some real live feedback from Porsche/MTB/road biking enthusiast

cheers.
\

I would personally go with the Seesucker. It is easier to deal with vs crossbars, and bars are noisy and a hassle to install-uninstall. Unless you want them on there permanently, of course! If you want to run crossbars, I have the Whispbar from Thule, and it was fairly good, but as I wouldn't want to run bars 100% of the time on a 911, I would look at Seesucker first. 90% of the time I transport bikes in my old Tacoma, but there are a couple of trips a year where we are driving 500 miles and plan to ride for several days when we get there. If we are only riding a day or 2, I will rent a bike from a local shop rather than dealing with transporting our bikes, but it certainly beats taking the Tacoma on a long road trip
Old 04-15-2019, 02:13 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla

Rocky Mounts on the left. I cannot remember the model, but isn't the jetliner. It has a strap which wraps around the bar and fits just about any rack. I use the Jetliner for a third mount facing backwards occasionally when we go to Breck in the summer. Road bike for Mrs and I and mountain bike for me.

I've added a yakima 40" wind fairing since these photos and it cuts the wind noise substantially.

Is that a Colnago Master extra-light? I bought one just after graduating from college, but as I was racing Cat 2 and then Cat 1, it couldn't function as my race bike, and I certainly didn't want to use such a gorgeous ride as my winter ride, so I eventually sold it to raise funds for race wheels and a powermeter.

I had built it up with Campy 10 record! I really regret selling it. Not to mention that prices have tripled. I sold my frameset for $550 or so back then.

I also had a Colango Tecnos, but that was a bit small and I sold it as well. These bikes ride so well. My fixed-gear is my go-to this time of year now (full-time fenders) so I went with another steel bike, but not something as nice as this.
All-city makes a nice steel singles-speed cross bike that works perfectly as a fixie do-it-all bike; my commute is 21 miles with several miles on gravel, so it gets a lot of saddle time; I put more miles on that bike than I do any of my fun cars,
Old 04-15-2019, 02:24 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes, if interested, shoot me a PM.

Originally Posted by pilfer
ok cool thank you. Seasucker Talon right?
Old 04-15-2019, 02:28 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Agree ... but seasucker does not work with PPF film.

Originally Posted by raidersfan
\

I would personally go with the Seesucker. It is easier to deal with vs crossbars, and bars are noisy and a hassle to install-uninstall. Unless you want them on there permanently, of course! If you want to run crossbars, I have the Whispbar from Thule, and it was fairly good, but as I wouldn't want to run bars 100% of the time on a 911, I would look at Seesucker first. 90% of the time I transport bikes in my old Tacoma, but there are a couple of trips a year where we are driving 500 miles and plan to ride for several days when we get there. If we are only riding a day or 2, I will rent a bike from a local shop rather than dealing with transporting our bikes, but it certainly beats taking the Tacoma on a long road trip
Old 04-15-2019, 03:12 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Agree ... but seasucker does not work with PPF film.
It doesn't? I didn't know that. Is there a "trick"? I always washed my car before installing
Old 04-15-2019, 04:02 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

No trick. I contacted seasucker as my GTS has PPF on the roof. They told me it was not supported to use seasucker on top of PPF. I guess that the suction cups will pull the PPF off the roof ... I don’t want that to happen while driving. And I don’t want to remove the PPF either

It doesn't? I didn't know that. Is there a "trick"? I always washed my car before installing
Old 04-15-2019, 07:33 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I also have the seasucker talon for my Santa Cruz Tall Boy CC - once you get comfortable with the fact that the system is solid it's fantastic. I've driven from sf to downieville (200 miles) with it on, zero problems.

More people have asked me about my bike rack than my car
Old 04-15-2019, 07:52 PM
pilfer
Racer

Originally Posted by nick2413
I also have the seasucker talon for my Santa Cruz Tall Boy CC - once you get comfortable with the fact that the system is solid it's fantastic. I've driven from sf to downieville (200 miles) with it on, zero problems.

More people have asked me about my bike rack than my car
almost bought one the other day but i got scared at the last second lol. I'd probably use it more on the RS4 as I'm hoping both the suction cups could be on the sunroof and rear window.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:55 PM
nick2413
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a good point. I tend to put the suction cups behind the sunroof and then the rear cup on the back window, it seems much more stable as otherwise the sunroof wiggles around a bit and I don't want to cause damage to it.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:12 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Nice! Where do you leave the front wheel?
In a wheel bag on the back seat, or on the rear shelf if there is more luggage back there.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:20 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Is that a Colnago Master extra-light? I bought one just after graduating from college, but as I was racing Cat 2 and then Cat 1, it couldn't function as my race bike, and I certainly didn't want to use such a gorgeous ride as my winter ride, so I eventually sold it to raise funds for race wheels and a powermeter.

I had built it up with Campy 10 record! I really regret selling it. Not to mention that prices have tripled. I sold my frameset for $550 or so back then.

I also had a Colango Tecnos, but that was a bit small and I sold it as well. These bikes ride so well. My fixed-gear is my go-to this time of year now (full-time fenders) so I went with another steel bike, but not something as nice as this.
All-city makes a nice steel singles-speed cross bike that works perfectly as a fixie do-it-all bike; my commute is 21 miles with several miles on gravel, so it gets a lot of saddle time; I put more miles on that bike than I do any of my fun cars,
Must have been an awesome bike. Record 10 was sweet.

It is a Master 30th anniversary with Dura-Ace 9000. My wife rides a Master Xtralite in AD20 paint with a Look hsc fork. Both are shimano builds. I ride on a set of Ambrosio Nemesis tubulars that I built around some I9 torch hubs. I took a more Mapei classics inspired build with mine.

I suppose this audience would understand. Few bikes ride as nice. It gives just the right amount of road feedback to give the rider confidence without wearing you down on a long ride. It is so perfectly balanced and stable that you could ride for miles with no hands on the bars. And when you want to cut an aggresive line down a mountain twisty at an unreasonable speed, it goes right where you point it.

I don't live in an especially fixie frendly part of town, but I have a Masi CXGR which has a similar intent. Full fenders with room for up to 42cc tires and a rear pannier rack. Built it to commute, but within a year ended up traveling for work. It is a nice smooth ride, but doesn't have the road feel of a Colnago.

Last edited by GoldenGorilla; 04-15-2019 at 11:11 PM.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:28 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 650 Likes on 308 Posts

Name:  b2xZslm.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  567.2 KB
Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 AM
pilfer
Racer

tell me more about your car, looks amazing, what suspension and duck tail if you don't mind me asking?
Old 04-16-2019, 10:02 AM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

I'll throw mine up . Yakima through bars, thule bike rack on the driver's side, Rocky mounts on the left. Love this setup and this is my second car running these bars. Despite the price difference, I actually prefer the Rocky Mounts. Incredibly stable and easy to use. I have a Thule Alpine Sonic, but have not tried putting it on yet. After seeing some in this thread, I may give it a go.

Quick Reply: Roof rack and bike carriers