Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roof rack and bike carriers

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 02:28 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks for the info, which Rocky Mount is it?

Originally Posted by chuuey
I'll throw mine up . Yakima through bars, thule bike rack on the driver's side, Rocky mounts on the left. Love this setup and this is my second car running these bars. Despite the price difference, I actually prefer the Rocky Mounts. Incredibly stable and easy to use. I have a Thule Alpine Sonic, but have not tried putting it on yet. After seeing some in this thread, I may give it a go.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:02 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
Thanks for the info, which Rocky Mount is it?
Tierod
Old 04-16-2019, 04:43 PM
Bwoy1981
Racer

Received 344 Likes on 108 Posts

Seasuckier Talon here. Always mount the main part behind the sunroof. Super easy to use.

Old 04-16-2019, 05:03 PM
GoldenGorilla
Racer

Received 58 Likes on 39 Posts

Tierod
I checked and my two primary racks are Tirerods as well. It is a very versatile rack, though I would advise that the locking mechanism in the quick release used on all Rockymounts fork mounts can be broken fairly easily if a thief can get leverage on it. I broke one myself unintentionally. Use a cable lock when parked in a high risk area. As mentioned, I setup a jetliner in a reverse mount if I want to take a 3rd bike.
Old 04-16-2019, 05:23 PM
chuuey
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenGorilla
I checked and my two primary racks are Tirerods as well. It is a very versatile rack, though I would advise that the locking mechanism in the quick release used on all Rockymounts fork mounts can be broken fairly easily if a thief can get leverage on it. I broke one myself unintentionally. Use a cable lock when parked in a high risk area. As mentioned, I setup a jetliner in a reverse mount if I want to take a 3rd bike.
I haven't personally had an issue, but I have owned two Tierods over the last three years (one was claimed in a garage incident- bikes were safe, thankfully), the first locking mechanism vs. second was significantly different and felt more robust. The whole front arm was much larger and more stable, in fact.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:04 PM
TrappistMonk
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Thank you both for the info and feedback

I haven't personally had an issue, but I have owned two Tierods over the last three years (one was claimed in a garage incident- bikes were safe, thankfully), the first locking mechanism vs. second was significantly different and felt more robust. The whole front arm was much larger and more stable, in fact.
Old 06-06-2020, 01:00 AM
BLU997
Racer

Received 181 Likes on 105 Posts
Default As a solution, it sucks, literally

Borrowed a friend's suction cup style rack for a 700km road trip.
I placed the front section of the "3 bike" unit just behind the sunroof, rear wheel "pearch" suctioned down on the back window.
Bike's front wheel in the frunk.
With bike fitted, it was low enough to get under garage door without incident.
Removed the rack & stowed in frunk overnight at destination hotel, no worries at all.
Got plenty of stares from the "Double Haters", people who dislike Cycling AND Porsche drivers..
Old 06-06-2020, 10:32 AM
Chipster
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 28 Posts

My son and I just finished our third long road trip with two XL frame MTBs on top of our 997. I went with Yakima towers, aero crossbars and Yakima Front Loaders to mount the bikes. Other than the expected reduction in gas mileage, after almost 15,000 miles of use we’ve had virtually no issues. The Yakima system is solid. Plus, the bars can be mounted/removed in minutes with no noticeable damage to the car.

The following users liked this post:
winnibago (06-06-2020)
Old 06-06-2020, 03:59 PM
winnibago
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TrappistMonk
I loved the seasucker system and would not have looked for roof racks if the GTS that replace my C7 was not fully wrapped in PPF.

“real men ride pink bikes”

Bronson

Quick Reply: Roof rack and bike carriers