Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So are the PASM connectors directional or not!?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 03:30 PM
Muuhaha
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts
Default So are the PASM connectors directional or not!?

I've read conflicting statements. When you disconnect the PASM wires, I didn't realize it had a tab on both sides, meaning you can connect it back in either direction. There is a 1 and a 2 on either the male or female plugs, inside the plug. Does the direction matter or not? Both numbers read 1 to 2 from left to right, meaning I would have to invert either one to make the likewise numbers match up (one set of numbers would be upside down)

Just want to verify I won't have to remove the Bose box and all that if I plug them in the wrong way. Thanks!
Old 04-01-2019, 01:17 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I'm editing my response here. Everything I've read says they are non directional and I've even experimented by swapping one with no effect. However, the design of the tab uses poka-yoke and is clearly intended to be inserted in one orientation as you can see in your pic. So probably best to connect them the right way.
Old 04-01-2019, 07:57 AM
Muuhaha
Instructor

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I'm editing my response here. Everything I've read says they are non directional and I've even experimented by swapping one with no effect. However, the design of the tab uses poka-yoke and is clearly intended to be inserted in one orientation as you can see in your pic. So probably best to connect them the right way.
There's a tab on the black side, but on the yellow side, the "hump" that the tab locks onto, has a hump on either side-- which means you can flip it. I'm leaning towards it's non directional because of that. But then I read somewhere where someone had a PASM issue and was told to flip their connector to resolve their issue, which is why I decided to ask.
Old 04-01-2019, 02:31 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,171 Likes on 3,935 Posts

I have always heard that they were as well. I was careful when taking mine apart to note how they were oriented so I could put them back together the same way. I've heard if one is reversed the suspension will log an error and go into full stiff mode all the time.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Muuhaha
Instructor

Looking at page 4370 in the manual it doesn't mention any direction. That section is about splicing and replacing the pigtail if need be. I figure it it would say it anywhere, it would be there since that section is specifically about the connector.

I'm going to align the numbers, but I don't think it's going to make a difference. The way the struts work, it doesn't make sense for it to be polarity sensitive anyway. It seems like it just needs a completed circuit for them to work.
Old 04-02-2019, 02:24 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Muuhaha
Looking at page 4370 in the manual it doesn't mention any direction. That section is about splicing and replacing the pigtail if need be. I figure it it would say it anywhere, it would be there since that section is specifically about the connector.

I'm going to align the numbers, but I don't think it's going to make a difference. The way the struts work, it doesn't make sense for it to be polarity sensitive anyway. It seems like it just needs a completed circuit for them to work.
You're thinking the right way. All it needs is current to work. It doesn't matter which way it flows. However, i don't know what electronics are in the actual damper so I didn't' get that specific just out of ignorance/naivety.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:41 AM
GTS Daddy
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anyone here know where I can purchase these connectors? My yellow plug broke replacing the strut mount and now have PASM failure.
Old 05-19-2019, 12:47 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I just lined up the 1's and 2's on the connectors when I replaced my shocks. Worked fine. Never tried the other way though.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:23 PM
Squeaky
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Daddy
Does anyone here know where I can purchase these connectors? My yellow plug broke replacing the strut mount and now have PASM failure.
Did you manage to find a replacement?
Old 07-20-2019, 10:56 PM
Saltybrad
Advanced

Received 30 Likes on 16 Posts

Yeah it's very important to line the corresponding numbers correctly or the pasm will act in an opposite manner than it should. It creates an awful ride.
Old 07-21-2019, 05:35 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

It shouldn't - it's a current based system, not voltage.

Quick Reply: So are the PASM connectors directional or not!?