Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Quarter Panel Ripple Dents

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2019 | 11:05 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Default Rear Quarter Panel Ripple Dents

Anyone have any idea what could be causing ripples/dents in my rear quarters? This car was extremely low set by previous owner causing it to bottom out on big or back to back bumps.. Car has been raised under my ownership but still seems like In'm noticing new ripples/dents since I raised it. Im pretty sure these are being caused by the the pinch weld seam under the rear quarter. I plan on getting having some painless dent removal done to correct the issue but want ensure they do not come back.

Old 03-30-2019 | 11:17 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Think there was a thread about something similar due to the welding spots that keep the rear window frame together sneaking down there and causing this if drilled out and left in there. Any history of repair on rear windows?

Found it. Here is a link. Link
Old 03-30-2019 | 11:29 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Not aware of any window repair. I failed to also mention that the car has a cage. I wasn't sure if the extra rigidity was also be a culprit.
Old 03-31-2019 | 11:05 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Pointless dent removal probably can get that out, I had something similar in same area. It looks like an inward dent not outward
Old 03-31-2019 | 11:15 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Could be from something simple like acorns falling on the car when parking under oaks in the fall. PDR will fix. Those guys are magicians.
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:20 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

That these are inward dents makes it hard to understand the root cause. I have a few on both sides going along the rear quarter.
Old 03-31-2019 | 01:29 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

I had one in the exact same spot. Was the jerk who parked next to me. That spot is perfect to catch the underside of another door.

Like @docdrs and @semicycler said, PDR will fix it like new. I paid something like $120 and it took an hour. I will caution you need guys that know 911s because they need to remove the bumper and I think the muffler heat shield so they can get the tool behind it. I was lucky in that my Autobody guys recommended the PDR so we met at their shop. The PDR guy didn't know how to get the bumper off but one of the guys at the shop did, and they were nice enough to not charge me.
Old 03-31-2019 | 04:28 PM
Balr14
Burning Brakes

Dents due to sheet metal flexing from stress are not usually so clearly defined.
Old 03-31-2019 | 04:31 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

They don't have to remove anything. They can hot glue a puller on the dent and pull it out. it was quite interesting to see it done. I had 2 on the door( he pushed those out with a slim bar) and 1 like yours where he did multiple pulls with the hot glue puller along with a hammer to smooth it all out. $100 cash
Old 03-31-2019 | 04:37 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

I have few local guys that do the PDR. Is there a certification to look for PDR work?
Old 03-31-2019 | 05:25 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Just find someone that has a lot of good reviews or that a higher end dealer uses. The guy that does work locally also does work on the side. I use him. He does all of the cars at the local high end dealers.

As far as that inward dent, he could get it out many different ways Glue pull potentially. He could also go in from behind the dent. If you take the rear speaker out of the car, there is access to the entire panel. I have had it off many times and can provide picture if anyone needs them.

The outward dents is the issue that my car had. What happens is when that window trim is removed, there are rivets that hold it in. The rivets are very small. The rivets find themselves in a valley between the inside wall of that panel and the outside wall of that panel. Eventually it pushes It's way out and will crack the paint. At this point you can push the majority of the dent back in but you will always have a small area of raised paint. Many times this will happen if the panel is repainted at any point since to do an effective job the window seal needs to be removed. If your car had paint work on that panel, I recommend bore scoping the inside of the fender and either removing any rivets that have gotten in there, which is not easy unless you are a PDR technician or if there are none in there, putting some material in there to prevent rivets from getting stuck. There is already plenty of sound deadening material in that area.
Old 04-01-2019 | 01:24 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by semicycler
PDR will fix. Those guys are magicians.
One of those trades you can't really learn on the internet.
These guys and gals really are miraculous about what they can pull off.
Old 04-11-2019 | 10:16 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Are you sure the dents are recent? Could be caused by pushing down (by hand) on the car after swapping out springs/suspension to test rebound. I know, because that happened to my prior 997. DPR was able to solve it.
Old 04-11-2019 | 10:22 PM
battle_tested
Advanced

Originally Posted by anewman
Are you sure the dents are recent? Could be caused by pushing down (by hand) on the car after swapping out springs/suspension to test rebound. I know, because that happened to my prior 997. DPR was able to solve it.
Honestly not 💯 if caused during my owner ship. Got get the PDR done!
Old 04-16-2019 | 11:22 AM
battle_tested
Advanced

Better picture of the mystery dents. Not has bad on the passenger side. This morning with the lighting these where way more noticeable

Quick Reply: Rear Quarter Panel Ripple Dents