Sponsored by:

Looking at engine builders for the 997

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:32 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
Nick, this sucks. Keep us posted. What happened when it failed? Did you ever upgrade the IMS bearing on this launch car?
Yes I upgraded to he LN Engineering ceramic bearing about 5 years ago. It suddenly lost power at about 65mph and died. Car was driving beautifully very odd. My tech should know more tomorrow. He suspects one of the tensioners came apart.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,552 Likes on 4,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Yes I upgraded to he LN Engineering ceramic bearing about 5 years ago. It suddenly lost power at about 65mph and died. Car was driving beautifully very odd. My tech should know more tomorrow. He suspects one of the tensioners came apart.
This is exactly why I have 3 pairs of tensioners sitting on my workbench right now, so I proactively change them in the near future, especially in my wife's car that now has over 105k on the original tensioners.

Old 03-31-2019, 12:27 PM
Para82
Race Car

Smart move Pete. Mine was at 98k miles.

Tech is hoping no internal damage and just a fix on that. Is that possible?

A friend of mine who is an instructor at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta recommended these two builders for Porsche:
Goldcrest Motorsports in Kennesaw GA or Motorwerks Racing in Dawsonville GA

Also i've heard good things about Pat Williams Racing in Memphis

I've added Vision Motorsports to the list also.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:36 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Smart move Pete. Mine was at 98k miles.

Tech is hoping no internal damage and just a fix on that. Is that possible?

A friend of mine who is an instructor at the Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta recommended these two builders for Porsche:
Goldcrest Motorsports in Kennesaw GA or Motorwerks Racing in Dawsonville GA

Also i've heard good things about Pat Williams Racing in Memphis

I've added Vision Motorsports to the list also.
I don't know any of those guys. Are you down here in the Southeast now?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:56 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Petza914
I don't know any of those guys. Are you down here in the Southeast now?

Gulf Coast, Florida
Old 03-31-2019, 01:33 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

**** @Para82 im sorry to hear that. Let us know what the diagnosis is. Did you have any rattle on startup before it happened? I thought that was the sign a tensioner was going.

@Petza914 can you do a writeup when you replace. I'd like to put this on my list of todos. I spoke to my indy about it before and he said it was pretty easy, but he hadn't seen many fail.
Old 03-31-2019, 03:04 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
**** @Para82 im sorry to hear that. Let us know what the diagnosis is. Did you have any rattle on startup before it happened? I thought that was the sign a tensioner was going.

@Petza914 can you do a writeup when you replace. I'd like to put this on my list of todos. I spoke to my indy about it before and he said it was pretty easy, but he hadn't seen many fail.
I think it's as easy as rotating the motor to TDC, installing a cam lock, and then replacing them one at a time, but need to do some further research on this before diving in.
Old 03-31-2019, 06:09 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by rw229
Broken crank? First I've heard of this in a (assuming) street car. Could you share a bit about how that happened?
Honestly, no clue how it actually broke. and so far just a street car - but I plan on doing a couple of track days a year in the future.

bought the car with 50k miles, picked it up for what seemed like a steal at $30k out the door. against my better judgement I didn't do a professional PPI ( I know I know. don't hate - lesson learned, NEVER again) - just looked over it with my own knowledge from growing up working on cars (specifically Chevys, VW beetles, and my 1980 SC I had for ~10 years before the 997 purchase). 2 1/2 years later at ~70,000mi I was driving home nice and easy after work one day, downshifted from 4th to 3rd going~40mph before my last turn to my street, so not even a hard or crazy downshift, then I heard a clunk. had no clue what it was, trailered the car to Porsche of Wilmington (NC), and long story short, they determined something was wrong inside the engine after cutting the oil filter open and finding a ton of metal. the dealer then ran a diagnostic and found some insane overrevs that a PPI would have definitely caught. something like 1500 Level 5 overrevs. When vision cracked the case open they sent a pic of the crankshaft snapped in half (ill try to add the pic in an edit from my phone later).

The mech hit me with 2 options. buy a new crate engine from Porsche at $25k before install, or buy a used engine from DC auto in Rocky Mount NC. no way I was shelling out $25k for just parts, no labor, and didn't feel comfortable with buying a used engine from a salvage yard (albeit with a good reputation at least). the Master Mech told me about Vision and how they did his car, so I sent it off to them.

Last edited by Milo2361; 03-31-2019 at 08:54 PM. Reason: Added crankshaft pic
Old 03-31-2019, 11:42 PM
JustinCase
Racer

Received 148 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Milo2361
The mech hit me with 2 options. buy a new crate engine from Porsche at $25k before install, or buy a used engine from DC auto in Rocky Mount NC. no way I was shelling out $25k for just parts, no labor, and didn't feel comfortable with buying a used engine from a salvage yard (albeit with a good reputation at least). the Master Mech told me about Vision and how they did his car, so I sent it off to them.
Check into RND engines. Rebuilt engines from a company essentially set up by Jake Raby of Flat Six Innovations and Charles Navarro or LN Engineering using their latest technology. These get expensive if you don't have a usable core, but at least check into them to see. You probably cannot get a better rebuilt engine, and you save yourself all the problems originally engineered by Porsche into OEM engines. Also, there is some chance they have one in stock.
Old 03-31-2019, 11:53 PM
Milo2361
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JustinCase
Check into RND engines. Rebuilt engines from a company essentially set up by Jake Raby of Flat Six Innovations and Charles Navarro or LN Engineering using their latest technology. These get expensive if you don't have a usable core, but at least check into them to see. You probably cannot get a better rebuilt engine, and you save yourself all the problems originally engineered by Porsche into OEM engines. Also, there is some chance they have one in stock.
Engine was rebuilt by Vision last year - but if it happens again i'll definitely look into them!
Old 04-01-2019, 11:21 AM
Vietjdmboi
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

John Bray at Evo Spec LLC. He use to be head engine builder over at EVOMS
Old 04-01-2019, 12:25 PM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Vietjdmboi
John Bray at Evo Spec LLC. He use to be head engine builder over at EVOMS
Thank you i'll put them on the list - much obliged.
Old 04-01-2019, 03:17 PM
EVOMS
Former Sponsor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Thank you i'll put them on the list - much obliged.
John is great and has been doing a lot of M96 motors recently. Look him up, www.evo-spec.com or email johnbrayspec@gmail.com

Sam

Quick Reply: Looking at engine builders for the 997