New to me 997 Before & After Progress

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 11:58 PM
wellcooled
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default New to me 997 Before & After Progress

Hi everyone,

Here's my first Porsche 911 that I purchased back in September 2018. It's a 2007 997.1 C2 6MT Black/Black. The 997 has always been my dream car in high school. My step father taught me how to drive a manual and got me into cars growing up and he always wanted a 911. I remember his VW Karmann Ghia (always overheating in traffic) and 85 Corvette blk/blk. Before he passed away in 2016 from cancer, he always asked me to buy a black 911 so he can borrow it on the weekends. Just wish he was still here to experience driving my 911. He would have loved it and put a smile on his face shifting through the gears. So here is what came with the car and what I've changed and plan to change.

The car came with Eibach lowering springs, complete Fabspeed exhaust, headers, cat x-pipe, & intake. Not sure if the car has a tune. I switched the intake to the stock.

Maintenance: 60k service, new complete clutch, new brake pads & rotors, all new fluids with my local indy shop here in NYC.

Upgrades: My indy shop installed a Numeric Racing short shifter with OEM cup cables (way better than the stock plastic shifter).

Wheels: I liked the 19" Lobster forks, but wanted something different with a mesh look. I went with 19" BBS CH-R (8.5" fronts, 11" rears)

Exterior: I swapped out original bumper for an OEM Aero front bumper from Sonnen Porsche.

Accessories: Purchased a Thule roof rack system to carry my road bike when I go riding in Connecticut and Long Island.

Things to come: Paint correction multi step w/ C-quarts Pro, removing aero wing that came with the car and replacing with an OEM wingless deck lid, 997.2 GT3RS Steering Wheel, suspension upgrade.

Looking forward to warmer weather here in NYC, family trips with my wife and daughter once she can fit in an upright car seat, cars & coffee meets, PCA Drivers Education/Autox. I recently moved to New York (came from CA) if anyone in NYC or Long Island area can share some nice driving roads that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin
Attached Images     

Last edited by wellcooled; 03-22-2019 at 04:23 PM.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM
anewman
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 104 Posts

Great looking car!
Old 03-22-2019, 06:29 PM
C4SDayton
Pro

Received 57 Likes on 48 Posts

I really love the wing, but it's personal taste. You can probably sell it for some decent money or trade someone with a regular rear lid in same color and get some money too.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:18 PM
jeebus31
Three Wheelin'

Received 422 Likes on 233 Posts

I think it looks great with the wing. I love the rims, wish I had a set of those.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:46 PM
youngvedder
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

looks great my man - from one black 997 to another!
Old 03-22-2019, 08:01 PM
DesmoSD
Three Wheelin'

Received 355 Likes on 252 Posts

Welcome Kevin. Awesome story and I'm sure your step dad is smiling from heaven. Your car looks sweet with the aero kit. What did you do with the lip in the 3rd pic? Did you put some sort of rubber trim on the bottom? That thing looks like it scrapes even when it's parked.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:02 PM
cwheeler
Three Wheelin'

Received 372 Likes on 268 Posts

Great car and great story. Mine is similar, with my father and such. Good stuff.

Btw, if you're looking to sell the fabspeed intake, I can probably help you move it.

Cw
Old 03-22-2019, 08:10 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

Your car looks great. What made you remove your intake. I have a Fabspeed intake & love it on my 997.1 C2S.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:19 PM
jcdeng
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

hi, do you mind sharing which indy shop is that? trying to find good porsche indys in NYC area

thanks,
Old 03-22-2019, 08:20 PM
Hi-Arc
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Nice ride! Front bumper looks great!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:20 PM
wellcooled
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C4SDayton
I really love the wing, but it's personal taste. You can probably sell it for some decent money or trade someone with a regular rear lid in same color and get some money too.
Thank you C4SDayton. I have a matching rear lid coming in and that will also get a paint correction. Planning to keep both for now just in case I decide to go back to the aero wing down the road.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:24 PM
wellcooled
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DesmoSD
Welcome Kevin. Awesome story and I'm sure your step dad is smiling from heaven. Your car looks sweet with the aero kit. What did you do with the lip in the 3rd pic? Did you put some sort of rubber trim on the bottom? That thing looks like it scrapes even when it's parked.
Thank you for the kind message. Yes I put a rubber trim on the lip to protect it from scrapes, but it didn’t last long with the roads here in NYC. I’m looking to change my suspension so I can raise the height up a little.

Originally Posted by cwheeler
Great car and great story. Mine is similar, with my father and such. Good stuff.

Btw, if you're looking to sell the fabspeed intake, I can probably help you move it.

Cw
Thank you Cwheeler. Sorry, but I just sold my Fabspeed J shape Carbon Intake. I should’ve kept it since I don’t see those for sale anymore. I only see the dual intakes.

Originally Posted by BaileyII
Your car looks great. What made you remove your intake. I have a Fabspeed intake & love it on my 997.1 C2S.
Thanks BaileyII. I removed it because I thought it wouldn’t pass NYS inspection. I do miss the Fabspeed intake sound. Do you have the J shape intake or the dual style from Fabspeed?
Old 03-22-2019, 10:48 PM
BaileyII
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 91 Posts

I have the dual style. Total eye candy. Love the sound that it makes.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:04 PM
Flat_Six_
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 20 Posts

Congratulations on the car! Sounds like a great way to honor your step-dad. He’d be proud to see you driving it.

Your wheels look perfect!
Old 03-23-2019, 12:53 AM
Ditchhanger
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Beautiful car and great story about your step-dad. Love the look and the wheels are awesome!

I will say that although the wing is a personal choice, you might want to consider leaving it on, since now you have a full aerokit car. Also, even though you may not be driving at high speeds where the aerodynamics from the front bumper and rear wing take effect, having the front bumper on and the rear without the wing may possibly throw it off. Like I said, it's a personal preference and your car...rock what you wanna rock on it! I did the aero front bumper and turbo rear decklid to balance it out on mine.

Quick Reply: New to me 997 Before & After Progress