Sponsored by:

Snapped shifter cables?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 07:08 PM
hexagone
Rennlist Member

Received 617 Likes on 291 Posts
Default Snapped shifter cables?

Was on the highway coasting and went to change gears and there was nothing. Just movement in the shifter but no engagement in gear.

Pulled over and realized I could use what I suspected was 4th to drive to a spot away from traffic.

Am I correct to think that's the issue? Are these cables under the car or inside the console?

In either case, the car's not in a DIY friendly spot and wondering if it should be towed to my indie for the work.

Old 03-13-2019, 09:57 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

So there are end links in the center console and end links on the transmission. I had an issue with the end links in the center console coming undone. Not real hard to take apart, but you will need a bunch of different torx screwdrivers. I will find my post from February of last year later as it has some information that could help you.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:25 PM
doclouie
Three Wheelin'

Received 188 Likes on 124 Posts

Here you go.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ck-in-3rd.html
Old 03-14-2019, 10:21 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,170 Likes on 3,934 Posts

Move the car to a better spot to work on it.

It's also possible that the cables have come loose from where they are connected under the car. This allows them to just wiggle around when you move the shifter instead of actually move the ends. Once you get them back into where they should be, wire tie them into that position so they can't pop out again. If you do actually have a broken plastic end either at the console or the transmission, the Numeric shifter cables are beefier, nicer, and have metal ends so it won't happen again. I think Function First makes just metal ends to replace your plastic ones.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:32 PM
malahhaor
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 93 Posts

Yeah known issue. Couple different things can happen as already mentioned. Mine broke at the trans under the car. The metal cable completely separated form the end-link.
Originally when i was doing research on mine (couple years now) found someone who changed them 4 times.
If i ever get another 997 i'll just get GT cables immediately.
Old 03-15-2019, 12:10 AM
Grahf16
AutoX

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

This happened to me last week. I shifted from first to second, and at first I thought I missed a gear, and then I noticed my shifter moved freely up and down, but would not move left to right, and I ended up being stuck in first.

Did research on this forum, and afterwards bought the Numeric racing cables, got the car on a lift, saw the broken link, and replaced the cables. Although the cables are pretty noisy, I'm glad knowing that it probably won't ever happen again (I was pretty damn scared since I only owned this car for 2 weeks).
Old 03-15-2019, 08:09 AM
Cramp
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Grahf16
This happened to me last week. I shifted from first to second, and at first I thought I missed a gear, and then I noticed my shifter moved freely up and down, but would not move left to right, and I ended up being stuck in first.

Did research on this forum, and afterwards bought the Numeric racing cables, got the car on a lift, saw the broken link, and replaced the cables. Although the cables are pretty noisy, I'm glad knowing that it probably won't ever happen again (I was pretty damn scared since I only owned this car for 2 weeks).
same - I couldn’t believe how different the feel was. Also, after seeing the OEM against the Numeric there’s no wonder these things break as they do. The Numeric cables are seriously more beefy. They do cause some rattle though...

Quick Reply: Snapped shifter cables?