997.2 No Suspension damping after replacing battery

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:02 PM
Grant Leisure
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 No Suspension damping after replacing battery

Hi All,
this is my first post , ( I did search on this and found nothing) My 2009 997.2 with PDK and Sport Chrono - Battery died and sat in the cold for a couple of weeks , I replaced the battery and the usual PASM error messages showed for a while , but now after 250 miles I can feel there is almost zero suspension damping, irrespective of driving mode or pressing the PASM button . any ideas ? could it be a blown fuse ? just wondering if anyone else has had this ;problem and fixed it ?
Thanks !
Old 03-11-2019, 01:57 PM
Aeromat209
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal just go for a test drive and all will self correct .
When I disconnected my battery for a wheel upgrade I got the same messages and made me very concerned . Rennlist members assured me it to be normal and just drive the car and all would be fine .
It took just backing out of the garage and 10 yards forward and all the errors were gone !
My Sport mode and Pasm was working agin as it should !!
Old 03-11-2019, 02:00 PM
Aeromat209
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OOps I should have read further on your post . My suspension is working fine as before the battery interruption ! Maybe someone will advise !
Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM
Jeffblak
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Grant Leisure
Hi All,
this is my first post , ( I did search on this and found nothing) My 2009 997.2 with PDK and Sport Chrono - Battery died and sat in the cold for a couple of weeks , I replaced the battery and the usual PASM error messages showed for a while , but now after 250 miles I can feel there is almost zero suspension damping, irrespective of driving mode or pressing the PASM button . any ideas ? could it be a blown fuse ? just wondering if anyone else has had this ;problem and fixed it ?
Thanks !
Once, after disconnecting the battery on my 997.1 4S the suspension felt like it was always in sport mode, pressing shock and sport buttons did nothing and the indicator lights were non-operative. I disconnected the battery again for about 30 seconds then reconnected and the problem was resolved. The PASM error light corrected itself a few miles after that.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:15 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

The error light that usually shows up is for PSM Porsche Stability Management) not for PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management).

The wires that run to the 2 front dampeners are actually run pretty close to the battery area. If any shock becomes disconnected or the wire gets damaged, the suspension defaults to full stiff for safety reasons. I would trace each of those 2 wires that come out of the shocks to their connectors and make sure the connectors are secure. Also, their polarized connections so only go together properly one way, but will actually for together either way (dumb design).

If the connections are good and the wire isn't crimped or damaged, then try a 10 minute battery disconnect as previously mentioned. If that doesn't resolve it, the battery dying may have let the gateway lose connection with the PASM control module where the car isn't recognizing that option anymore and the dealer will have to hook it up to PIWIS and do the handshake protocol to re-enable that option in the module.

Quick Reply: 997.2 No Suspension damping after replacing battery